Custom Made Titanium Frame's and Seatpost's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by unibikeling
    I'm in for a round crown trials frame, for a 19'' or 20''. (i got a nimbus rim, and maxxis CC tire, whatever that adds up to)

I'd be in for a seatpost as well, bolt pattern that of a kh saddle.
    I'm fairly sure it's a bad idea to put a Ti seatpost in a Ti frame. They do something called a chemical weld (I believe) and become impossible to separate. If this is wrong, please correct me--I'm not certain about it.

If the seatpost is for a different frame, then that's a different story.
    ==========================
    Peter Kittle * Chico, CA
    "The Revolution is just a t-shirt away."
    --Billy Bragg

==========================

Comment

Originally posted by pkittle
      I'm fairly sure it's a bad idea to put a Ti seatpost in a Ti frame. They do something called a chemical weld (I believe) and become impossible to separate. If this is wrong, please correct me--I'm not certain about it.

if your right, then if i snap this thing, i'd be able just to put it back together without welds.

(i'm highly unsure about what your stating.)
      "I'll learn the landing once i do the takeoff" - me

Sixsixone - Great gear for all riding!-My Videos

Sprite Off Winner 08~

Comment

Originally posted by pkittle

A bit of anti-seize or bike grease will completely prevent this. Or just making the seattube with an aluminum shim. I also am pretty confident the phenomenon you describe doesn't really happen.

Now galvanic corrosion is another thing, but that only happens between dissimilar materials (having to do with electronegativity in chem terms, or just the energies of the lowest energy electron orbitals in p-chem or quantum physics terms. It's closely related to how diodes work, actually)

Regarding the actual thread:
        I think this is a terrible idea, simply because from the first post, unislab is saying all he has is a friend who has (unproven) abilities and access to equipment to weld titanium. He is assuming he can understand your designs (which, if they're anything like what is generally posted on sites like this, are terrible vague and impossible to build from), execute them, and practice all of the surrounding logistics, and still break even, while satisfying the customers. Experience says he is wrong, but hell, maybe he's exceptional.

Having not located a dependable supplier yet, and the assumption that he can make "any" design without regard to the very limited range of tubing choices available, I am skeptical of this project. But please, prove me wrong.

As for the seatposts, go to town on those. If you think you can do better than commerial offerings (which you just might), then try it out, but don't go selling things or taking orders until you have.

Unislab, one piece of advice. Do not accept any design drawn in MS paint.

If it helps, I've found this place to be a great supplier of cheap titanium:
        http://www.aerotitaniumdepot.com
        Last edited by gerblefranklin; 2008-07-03, 03:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gerblefranklin
          I think this is a terrible idea, simply because from the first post, unislab is saying all he has is a friend who has (unproven) abilities and access to equipment to weld titanium. He is assuming he can understand your designs (which, if they're anything like what is generally posted on sites like this, are terrible vague and impossible to build from), execute them, and practice all of the surrounding logistics, and still break even, while satisfying the customers. Experience says he is wrong, but hell, maybe he's exceptional.

Having not located a dependable supplier yet, and the assumption that he can make "any" design without regard to the very limited range of tubing choices available, I am skeptical of this project. But please, prove me wrong.

Unislab, one piece of advice. Do not accept any design drawn in MS paint.

If it helps, I've found this place to be a great supplier of cheap titanium:
          http://www.aerotitaniumdepot.com
          I could understand where your coming from, if you actually knew anything about what I'm doing. You assume I don't have a supplier for any and all materials I need, if you bother to read my other thread you would know that has already been taken care of.

That being said, now that I know we can offer multiple frame designs, I can start on the real plans for the frames. Like previously mentioned, you would know this if you read. These will be posted as soon as I'm done, could be a couple weeks.

Calling into question the quality of the welder is understandable seeing as I have yet to provide any links to his previous work or anything of that nature. If you give me a day or two I would be more than happy to provide you with a link to the company he did some work for. I also just so happen to be in an industry where I see a TON of custom metal fabrication, and happen to be sponsored by a company where I can go in there and watch the CNC machine and welders in action, erego I know what quality looks like. You'll just have to take my word for it until we finish.

Before you guys post any more questions do me a favor and read thoroughly
          Last edited by The UniSLAB; 2008-07-03, 04:10 AM.
          $100 right now if you beat this gap
          Real talk

Comment

I also think somone mentioned something about powdercoating. If you like I can have that done for you for an additional cost. Although I would recommend anodizing it instead.
            Last edited by The UniSLAB; 2008-07-03, 04:20 AM.
            Real talk

Comment

Originally posted by Wikipedia
              The two most useful properties of the metal form are corrosion resistance, and the highest strength-to-weight ratio of any metal
              Hope this helps clear anything up.

I've done some reading on Ti and am wondering on the process by which you guys will weld the Ti.

Also, how much extra would anodizing the frame cost? What colors do you have and what's the difference in anodizing vs. powdercoating.
              Last edited by Kyle_Destroyer; 2008-07-03, 05:22 AM.
              To be alive at all is to have scars.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyle_Destroyer
                Hope this helps clear anything up.

I've done some reading on Ti and am wondering on the process by which you guys will weld the Ti.

Also, how much extra would anodizing the frame cost? What colors do you have and what's the difference in anodizing vs. powdercoating.
                Another question, if you don't polish it after welding it, will it have weld burns?

Cause I think it'd be cool to have a frame like the Dan Heaton frame.
                To be alive at all is to have scars.

Comment

Originally posted by patsandy100
                  Ok thanks kyle. I wonder if its worth chucking my kh20 frame off and saving for one of these.

Still anyone know how much a triton frame sells for?
                  450$, and something like 4g weight saving over a KH frame.

Joe
                  old pics new zealand pics new pics
                  Where have I been riding? (GPS)

Comment

Im very interested but it depends on the weight,cost and the design to meet my trials needs
                    Unicycling Has Changed My Life
                    WEBSITE
                    UNICYCLES
                    VIDEOS

Comment

I would be interested in buying a freestyle frame in the Triton price range.

The important part here would be a crown with plenty of space for standup tricks and a nice shape. Hitting the knee would be less of an issue, so it would probably have to be wider than a street crown. A knurled frame shoulder might be cool as well.
                      There is a Ti-frame on sale in Japan, but it uses lollipop bearing holders, so its not an option.
                      I am not sure how large the high-end freestyle market is, but on the other hand the quality of current freestyle unicycles is poor compared to trials/street. So this might be a market opportunity.

If the chemical welding is not an issue a Ti-seatpost with gussets to go with it would be cool.

P.S. Can we please keep this thread on topic. I don't want this to become another 20+ pages of unibikeling's brain-diarrhea.
                      The harder you try, the dumber you look.

Comment

I would love to see a ti freestyle frame as well. It would be great if the dimensions could be similar to the new nimbus freestyle (which is copied from other frames, just using a refrerence) with larger diameter tubing used for the foot rest and a bit less tire clearance.

I've decided my freestyle is tooo heavy

Comment

Originally posted by Kyle_Destroyer
                          Another question, if you don't polish it after welding it, will it have weld burns?

Cause I think it'd be cool to have a frame like the Dan Heaton frame.
                          This is somehting I'm looking into for myself aswell. Titanium turns into an awesome array of colors when heated, but I imagine we can offer a raw finish just like the DH frames.

As for the anodizing vs powdercoating, anodizing weighs less that PC. Many people don't realize but PC add a good amount of weight to a frame.
                          Real talk

Comment

Originally posted by flyer
                            I would love to see a ti freestyle frame as well. It would be great if the dimensions could be similar to the new nimbus freestyle (which is copied from other frames, just using a refrerence) with larger diameter tubing used for the foot rest and a bit less tire clearance.

I've decided my freestyle is tooo heavy
                            As I said earlier, ANY sytle of frame can be crafted. I can get your initials welded on there if you like
                            Real talk

Comment

No, I didn't read thoroughly. To be honest, I haven't read this site in months, and only came because I wanted to get the HTML code to rickroll someone, and remembered this site had a button on it to do just that.

I'm not going to argue with you. I don't care, you're not going to listen if I do argue, and the suckers who think they've just found their dream fabricator will continue to believe, regardless.

Just remember, there are hundreds, if not thousands of experienced frame builders in the US who are more capable than anyone on this forum in doing custom work. If you'd rather trust someone who's never done this before, who you've never met, who just claims to "know a guy and a company", then hell, go right ahead. If you ask me, go talk to Rick Hunter or the like, and get your parts done right.

Comment

Originally posted by gerblefranklin
                                No, I didn't read thoroughly. To be honest, I haven't read this site in months, and only came because I wanted to get the HTML code to rickroll someone, and remembered this site had a button on it to do just that.

I'm not going to argue with you. I don't care, you're not going to listen if I do argue, and the suckers who think they've just found their dream fabricator will continue to believe, regardless.

Just remember, there are hundreds, if not thousands of experienced frame builders in the US who are more capable than anyone on this forum in doing custom work. If you'd rather trust someone who's never done this before, who you've never met, who just claims to "know a guy and a company", then hell, go right ahead. If you ask me, go talk to Rick Hunter or the like, and get your parts done right.
                                Your trying to instill doubt into the minds of other people, about a project you know absolutley nothing about. You even said it yourself, the simple fact that you have not bothered to read these threads makes any remark against me completley illogical. The base to which you ground all your statments, comes from your own shortminded reasoning and what you would call "experience".

So how does it make any sense at all to do what your doing? Your just going to slam the door on this and say "blah blah blah....this guy does it better....blah blah blah you don't know what your doing". With all due respect, you should stop posting in this thread.
                                Last edited by The UniSLAB; 2008-07-03, 04:28 PM.
                                Real talk

Comment

Working...
                                X