X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ruari View Post
    [*]Fluorescent jacket and gloves
    Hei Ruari,

What are those gloves you are wearing? They look quite fancy. I currently wear those thin KH gloves with soft protection, but even though the give some protection they are not at all warm. Do yours also have wrist beskyttelse?

Comment

• Originally posted by Setonix View Post
      Hei Ruari,

What are those gloves you are wearing? They look quite fancy. I currently wear those thin KH gloves with soft protection, but even though the give some protection they are not at all warm. Do yours also have wrist beskyttelse?
      No, they contain no protection. They are just winter cycling gloves that I picked up from a local chain of sports stores (XXL for any Norwegians here).

There are two nice things with them. First of all they are fluorescent, which is great for signalling. Secondly they are half way between gloves and mittens. Anyone who has used mittens and gloves in the winter will know that the former are usually much warmer (since your fingers are together) but of course gloves are easier to work with on a bike because you can brake or changing gears while holding the handlebars with your other fingers. So the solution here is that your first two fingers are together, then there is a separation and your next two are together. Of course this means that you look like you are either an alien or a member of the “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles”.

All that said, whilst it is a good idea, they are not as warm as they could be. They simply do not contain enough insulation. So, good plan… poor execution. However, it is really mild here at the moment and I get far warmer when I unicycle (compared to bicycling), so they were more than adequate for my needs today. In fact if anything my hands were way too hot.
      Last edited by ruari; 2019-01-11, 11:20 AM.

Comment

• Pearl Izumi Lobster Gloves

Originally posted by ruari View Post
        No, they contain no protection. They are just winter cycling gloves that I picked up from a local chain of sports stores (XXL for any Norwegians here). All that said, whilst it is a good idea, they are not as warm as they could be. They simply do not contain enough insulation. So, good plan… poor execution. However, it is really mild here at the moment and I get far warmer when I unicycle (compared to bicycling), so they were more than adequate for my needs today. In fact if anything my hands were way too hot.
        Hello Ruari, I have a pair of Pearl Izumi Lobster Gloves, made according to your gloves with the two finger pockets. And I love them as Winter Gloves (for riding my fatbike). Although the winter is not that cold in our part of Germany, they are quite warm, 0 - 3 degrees Celsius , they are sweaty.
        And I guess they are very comfortable until -5 degrees and OK until -10 degrees.
        Regards Georg
        Attached Files
        Oldest kid in town - neighbour

Comment

• Belated photo, but this was a group ride I organised back in November at Hamsterley Forest.

Most of the riders are members of JUST, which I used to attend regularly until a few years ago (due to other commitments), so it really good to catch up with them and have a great MUni ride!

More pics @unijoe on Instagram

Keep the photos coming, I love seeing them all, but I must post more myself!
          Attached Files
          VoodooUnicycles.Com - Extreme Unicycle Display Team

Comment

• My first ride up and down Summerset Hill. A couple miles from home, about 1/2 mile long with a maximum grade of 12%. I had to stop and rest on the way up but zipped right down with a hot brake at the bottom.

Jim

Comment

• Ice

Only ice is flat surface for riding here, in russian winter city.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Got snapped by a rather good photographer (who's name I don't know) at last Saturdays Park Run
                UL
                Uni Lateral on Flickr
                My learning journal

Comment

• Great photo, Uni Lateral! Way to represent.

Comment

• Seattle Tunnel Ride

The new tunnel opens this week, and they let the pedal-powered people have a go before the cars take over. It was fun! Some pix...

Comment

• [QUOTE=YooNeeNoob;1702662]The new tunnel opens this week, and they let the pedal-powered people have a go before the cars take over. It was fun! Some pix...

Cool! I considered that but did not. Glad to see at least one unicycle in with the 12,000 (-1) bikes.

Comment

• [quote=JimT;1702663]
                        Originally posted by YooNeeNoob View Post
                        Cool! I considered that but did not. Glad to see at least one unicycle in with the 12,000 (-1) bikes.
                        ....heh, yeah, I learned a new skill in the tunnel: riding ultra slow in a dense crowd. Never came off! hahaha.

Comment

• [quote=YooNeeNoob;1702665]
                          Originally posted by JimT View Post

....heh, yeah, I learned a new skill in the tunnel: riding ultra slow in a dense crowd. Never came off! hahaha.
                          I do a lot of these big closed road/newbie friendly cycling events in my city, this is definitely a skill worth learning!
                          “It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”

Comment

• Originally posted by YooNeeNoob View Post
                            The new tunnel opens this week, and they let the pedal-powered people have a go before the cars take over. It was fun! Some pix...
                            Why are they opening it to cars, shouldn't it be bike only all the time?

Comment

• Spinning on day 22

The medical profession did not take me seriously when I requested them to install a Shimano SPD cleat in my cast. Spent a little time on my rollers last night. Still have at least three more weeks non-load bearing in a cast. Then hopefully they will let me transition to a boot.

JM

A couple of video captures from yesterday…
                              Attached Files
                              You cannot teach a man anything, you can only help him find it within himself....

Comment

• Originally posted by bungeejoe View Post
                                The medical profession did not take me seriously when I requested them to install a Shimano SPD cleat in my cast.
                                Hahahaha "Hardcore" has a new definition. Nice.

Comment

Working...
                                X