Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planning: Coast to Coast uni ride.

Hello everyone.

Now that I have lots of free time, and with summer comming up I am starting to get this plan rolling. But im going to need a bit of help.

This is all new right now, so I havent even started a route yet or saving up money for everything I need. I have done some longish trips before, but instead of camping trailside, I have just gone with no sleep and made them into endurance rides, kinda like the 24hr races.

So any help with this would be amazing. Routes, plans, items to bring, specific tents I could bring, and all that goes along with a long ride like this.

Physically, im ready. I cant say the same about my Coker though. It needs a wider hub, and an airfoil/aluminum rim, a new set of spokes, and an extra pair of cranks. Besides the uni parts, I also need some gear for the trip, so heres where you can really help me.

Donations. Any ammount, all of it will go to my savings and will go into buying new parts for this, go for food for the trip, gear, emergencys, and just everything to get me going and keep me going.

Donate!
    Just bumming around MR~~~~~~~~~Team Forrest~~~~~~~~~Team Dirty Bird!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Check out my Band.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~!Quack!~~~~Team Spencer!~~~Member of the MRIS.
    Want some advice? Do better.
    ~Jerrick

I would suggest you contact Lars Clausen, He did a ride through all 50 states a few years ago, getting two world records in the process. I don't know his email off the top of my head, but if you google him you'll find one of his sites. he also wrote a book about his ride called "one wheel many spokes".

Comment

Originally posted by Tjorning
      I would suggest you contact Lars Clausen, He did a ride through all 50 states a few years ago, getting two world records in the process. I don't know his email off the top of my head, but if you google him you'll find one of his sites. he also wrote a book about his ride called "one wheel many spokes".
      Thanks. I should still have a card with his information on it. I dont have much time today to discuss this cause I have a concert to play in that im leaving to in an hour, so all the helpful posts will be good to read when I get home later tonight.
      Last edited by Jerrick; 2008-05-03, 11:14 PM.
      Just bumming around MR~~~~~~~~~Team Forrest~~~~~~~~~Team Dirty Bird!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      ~Jerrick

Comment

When you have a route picked out see if you can get donations in the form of free room and board as you pass through the hometowns of other riders. You will also probably pick up some ride-alongs for company part of the way. You're certainly welcome to crash at my place and grab some grub if you pass through.
        -Greg Harper

Nipples...do you ever have enough?

Change is good. Bills are better.

Comment

Adventure Cycling Association has the best route maps for cycle touring; there are a few transcontinental options. They also have a catalog with a lot of lightweight gear for touring.

Comment

Gracie Sorbello did it in 2006. There are some threads about her ride. She did it east to west and in her bare feet.
            A man can fail many times but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame someone else. - Waite Phillips

The art of medicine consists of keeping the patient amused while nature heals the disease. - Voltaire

Comment

Thanks for the link.

So far taking the Centennial trail to the TransAmerica trail seems like the best way to go. There is also the Northern Tier, but that ends up in Maine, and I dont feel like going there.

But its pretty much up to those two routes right now.
              ~Jerrick

Comment

what about a partner, could always use a buddy! and best part is.. if things go south you can use them as food

If this gets going would you car for a tag along?
                ><> Unicycle For Hatred, Bigotry, and Ignorance <><
                Team Forrest, Underground
                *)---, '30ft Coaster~

johnfoss:
                What do you call the bunches of kids that follow Kris around at big unicycle conventions? "Holmies".

Comment

Car or care?

If car, Id rather do this without a support vehicle.

If its care, I wouldnt mind another rider with me. Interested? It would make the ride better.

The more I think about it and search, the Northern Tier starts to look better than the TranAm.

Still no donations yet though...
                  ~Jerrick

Comment

Originally posted by Jerrick
                    Hello everyone.

Now that I have lots of free time, and with summer comming up I am starting to get this plan rolling. But im going to need a bit of help.

This is all new right now, so I havent even started a route yet or saving up money for everything I need. I have done some longish trips before, but instead of camping trailside, I have just gone with no sleep and made them into endurance rides, kinda like the 24hr races.

So any help with this would be amazing. Routes, plans, items to bring, specific tents I could bring, and all that goes along with a long ride like this.

Physically, im ready. I cant say the same about my Coker though. It needs a wider hub, and an airfoil/aluminum rim, a new set of spokes, and an extra pair of cranks. Besides the uni parts, I also need some gear for the trip, so heres where you can really help me.

Donations. Any ammount, all of it will go to my savings and will go into buying new parts for this, go for food for the trip, gear, emergencys, and just everything to get me going and keep me going.

Donate!
                    Hey Jerrick, you should totally wait until I graduate to do it and I can ride with you!
                    Last edited by Ducttape; 2008-05-05, 01:34 AM.
                    BUY MY SHIRTS AND STUFF
                    WATCH MY VIDEOS
                    Uniman Comics
                    Original Thread for Uniman
                    Sigged Quotes

Comment

Originally posted by Ducttape
                      Hey Jerrick, you should totally wait until I graduate to do it and I can ride with you!

When is that?

I guess it depends on the amount of Donations I get. If I dont get much of anything, then I can wait, but if I do start to make some money, im gonna go as soon as I can so they know their money went to a good cause.
                      ~Jerrick

Comment

Power to ya! I wish I could drop everything for a while and do such a trip. My best bet is to do it Clausen-style, finding a "gap"in my other obligations and making a family affair of it.

Keep us posted on your progress!

Comment

Car or care?

If car, Id rather do this without a support vehicle.

If its care, I wouldnt mind another rider with me. Interested? It would make the ride better.

The more I think about it and search, the Northern Tier starts to look better than the TranAm.

Still no donations yet though...

Ya im going to go with care... but hey car work good too. what it really comes down to is, are you going to end up spending more on food or on gas?
                          *)---, '30ft Coaster~

johnfoss:
                          What do you call the bunches of kids that follow Kris around at big unicycle conventions? "Holmies".

Comment

another thing is that the northern tier totaly has to be in the summer. otherwise we may likely die
                            *)---, '30ft Coaster~

johnfoss:

Comment

When is that?

I guess it depends on the amount of Donations I get. If I dont get much of anything, then I can wait, but if I do start to make some money, im gonna go as soon as I can so they know their money went to a good cause.
                              sometime next year I hope...
                              BUY MY SHIRTS AND STUFF
                              WATCH MY VIDEOS
                              Uniman Comics
                              Original Thread for Uniman
                              Sigged Quotes

Comment

Working...
                              X