No announcement yet.

I'm a new unicyclist and need help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Size could be something to think about too. If you want to use it for getting around, a Torker LX 24 may be a good bet. Maybe a little harder to learn on than a 20, but you'll pick it up.

Comment

good point. i am 6'1" and i actually learned on a 26" i was more comfortable on the bigger wheel. my bro is the same way, he learned on a 24"
      android power.

Comment

but arent 20 inch tires easier to learn on? and arent 20 inches better for basic tricks like bunny hop ...
        Last edited by someunicyclist; 2008-03-25, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by someunicyclist
          but arent 20 inch tires easier to learn on? and arent 20 inches better for basic tricks like bunny hop ...
          Generally yes, but some feel more comfortable on larger wheels, esp. taller people. (I'm 5'10" and my 24 was terrifying to ride away from the rail, but a 16" was fine, so I road that for a while before moving back up)

I think you should get the 20" LX, keep the spokes tight, don't do any drops, and start saving your $. When you decide the area you want to get into, get the best you can afford for that area, like a KH, for anything rough.

If you get either of the Nimbus' and plan to do any drops, it's recomended to upgrade to KH Moment cranks (about $50). I don't think the two posted don't have really strong rims (although the 48 spokes makes up for it a bit), so keep a close eye on spoke tention.
          Last edited by skilewis74; 2008-03-25, 07:37 PM.
          Ride everywhere and never just ride anywhere. If you can ride where you are going within a hour, do it, and if you can do a trick 50-75% of the time do it along the way.- Bob Burnquist

What's next?
          Learn2Ride&doTricks
          TrialsClasses&Building

Comment

The reason I brought up an LX 24 is that once he learned and felt comfortable enough to "hop and drop", the LX 24 would still serve a purpose: For riding mid distances at a reasonable speed, faster than walking. Once he reached this point, the non splined 20" would sit in a corner collecting dust. Then maybe he'd want to invest in a tougher 20 inch and have a good idea if he'd want to then save up for a tougher 24 inch MUni or go up to a 29 inch for the 3rd one (Who wants to settle for just one).

If, he decided he liked the 24", and wanted to upgrade to a splined 24", he wouldn't be out anything cause he would have a narrower, higher pressure tire 24 that's good for buzzing the block, a 24" MUni that could be used for beating on, and maybe a tough 20 inch trials...

Yup, the LX 20 is a good little unit, but it's really limited. I really liked mine, but wound up selling it cause it couldn't take much of a beating and it wasn't any fun going for longer rides... Would be a different story if he was really young, or not as tall.

Comment

how young do you mean?

Comment

Working...
              X