Pain in the back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pain in the back

Nobody replied so assumed this was unique to me. I haven't been able to ride
    since the end of May. Very frustrating. Because of that I made a visit to the
    chiropractor and found out my back was messed up. Now after two visits I'm
    feeling much better and ready to get started again. Has anybody else wacked
    their back by having to step off the Uni at odd angles or falls in general?

Todd Todd Johnson wrote in message <5faZ4.2730$ed7.564960@homer.alpha.net>...
    [color={usenetquotecolor}]>After spending about forty five minutes practicing idling in my garage my lower[/color]
    [color={usenetquotecolor}]>back became extremely sore. The next day was the worst. Has anybody else[/color]
    [color={usenetquotecolor}]>experienced lower back pain as a result of riding a unicycle?[/color]
    [color={usenetquotecolor}]>[/color]
    [color={usenetquotecolor}]>Todd[/color]

Re: Pain in the back

Yes, I have experienced some back muscle pain, but I attributed it to my being
    old and out of shape. Besides, I don't want to say anything for fear I'll be
    told that I can't ride or learn skills.

Todd Johnson wrote:
    [color={usenetquotecolor}]> Nobody replied so assumed this was unique to me. I haven't been able to ride[/color]
    [color={usenetquotecolor}]> since the end of May. Very frustrating. Because of that I made a visit to the[/color]
    [color={usenetquotecolor}]> chiropractor and found out my back was messed up. Now after two visits I'm[/color]
    [color={usenetquotecolor}]> feeling much better and ready to get started again. Has anybody else wacked[/color]
    [color={usenetquotecolor}]> their back by having to step off the Uni at odd angles or falls in general?[/color]
    [color={usenetquotecolor}]> Todd Todd Johnson wrote in message <5faZ4.2730$ed7.564960@homer.alpha.net>...[/color]
    [color={usenetquotecolor2}]> >After spending about forty five minutes practicing idling in my garage my[/color]
    [color={usenetquotecolor2}]> >lower back became extremely sore. The next day was the worst. Has anybody[/color]
    [color={usenetquotecolor2}]> >else experienced lower back pain as a result of riding a unicycle?[/color]
    [color={usenetquotecolor2}]> >[/color]
    [color={usenetquotecolor2}]> >Todd[/color]

Comment

----- Original Message ----- From: Jane and Carl Trachte <janencarl@aepnet.com>
      To: <unicycling@winternet.com> Sent: Friday, June 09, 2000 1:36 AM Subject: Re:
      Pain in the back

[color={usenetquotecolor}]> Yes, I have experienced some back muscle pain, but I attributed it to my being[/color]
      [color={usenetquotecolor}]> old and out of shape. Besides, I don't want to say anything for fear I'll be[/color]
      [color={usenetquotecolor}]> told that I can't ride or learn skills.[/color]

I am in my 50s and have an scoliosos (curvature of the spine) large enough to
      get me out of Viet Nam. I learned how to ride 13 years ago, when I was 40. My
      back problems have actually improved since then. It is a question of how to do
      things. You should unicycle regulary. Avoid a tough MUNI or a long parade if you
      have not ridden in 6 months. Check what kind of stretching, before and after
      works for you, etc. In my case, jogging was hard on my spine, because there is a
      small trauma every time your feet lands.

Alberto Ruiz

[color={usenetquotecolor}]> Todd Johnson wrote:[/color]
      [color={usenetquotecolor2}]> > Nobody replied so assumed this was unique to me. I haven't been able to[/color]
      ride
      [color={usenetquotecolor2}]> > since the end of May. Very frustrating. Because of that I made a visit[/color]
      to
      [color={usenetquotecolor2}]> > the chiropractor and found out my back was messed up. Now after two[/color]
      visits
      [color={usenetquotecolor2}]> > I'm feeling much better and ready to get started again. Has anybody else[/color]
      [color={usenetquotecolor2}]> > wacked their back by having to step off the Uni at odd angles or falls[/color]
      in
      [color={usenetquotecolor2}]> > general?[/color]
      [color={usenetquotecolor2}]> > Todd Todd Johnson wrote in message[/color]
      [color={usenetquotecolor2}]> > <5faZ4.2730$ed7.564960@homer.alpha.net>...[/color]
      [color={usenetquotecolor3}]> > >After spending about forty five minutes practicing idling in my garage[/color]
      my
      [color={usenetquotecolor3}]> > >lower back became extremely sore. The next day was the worst. Has[/color]
      anybody
      [color={usenetquotecolor3}]> > >else experienced lower back pain as a result of riding a unicycle?[/color]
      [color={usenetquotecolor3}]> > >[/color]
      [color={usenetquotecolor3}]> > >Todd[/color]

Comment

Todd Johnson wrote:

[color={usenetquotecolor2}]> >After spending about forty five minutes practicing idling in my garage my[/color]
        [color={usenetquotecolor2}]> >lower back became extremely sore. The next day was the worst. Has anybody[/color]
        [color={usenetquotecolor2}]> >else experienced lower back pain as a result of riding a unicycle?[/color]
        [color={usenetquotecolor2}]> >Todd[/color]

Three years ago I was feeling more out of shape than I would have liked and
        started to ride off road on a daily basis. Just before I started riding
        regularly I had been in for my annual physical. My chief complaints was pain and
        tingling in my neck and arms and some numbness. It wasn't severe, but a growing
        concern. Long hours at the computer and drawing table had taken a toll and I was
        worried about a pinched nerve or a disc problem. I also had some episodes of
        sciatica, pain from the back into the buttock area. When I went in for my
        physical the next year the doctor asked how my neck was. To tell you the truth
        that was the first time I had thought about it in a long time. Those symptoms
        had gone away. The only thing I had done differently was unicycling off road on
        a daily basis. I attribute this to the constant twisting and turning to aid
        balance. This must have strengthened the muscles and added flexibility. It may
        have corrected whatever was causing the problem. Lack of exercise may have been
        part or most of the problem and anything might have helped improve the
        situation. But, I think constant movement in the upper body is what made the
        difference

Your back pain may be cause by a relative overuse situation. If you continue
        riding on a regular basis you may not have the same problems. Consulting a
        physician was a good idea.

I agree with the unicycle lady about dismounting from giraffes. I have a 4 1/2
        foot chain drive unicycle which is about as much of a fall as I am willing to
        risk these days. Falling from my old 6 foot Schwinn is too much of a jolt now
        that I am 48.

When I first started riding on trails I noticed large bumps caused unwanted
        jolts. At first I was worried that they may cause more problems. However, as
        time went by and my skills imporved and I learned to read the trail better and
        ride through techincal spots more smoothly. Of course I don't ride off 4 foot
        drops as Bruce Bundy (another old guy) does. But, that's fine with me.

All the best,

John Hooten

Comment

Working...
        X