X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stationary bicycle trainers

Cutme <e.i.crichton@ncl.ac.uk> wrote in article
    <3247F4C8.54C7@ncl.ac.uk>...
    [color={usenetquotecolor2}]> > Has anyone tried riding a uni on one of those roller systems that will turn[/color]
    [color={usenetquotecolor2}]> > a regular bicycle into a stationary trainer? It sounds like a great way to[/color]
    [color={usenetquotecolor2}]> > practice or possibly a great way to break one's neck.[/color]
    [color={usenetquotecolor}]>[/color]
    [color={usenetquotecolor}]> Don't try this. If the wheel is only rotating but not moving then how can you[/color]
    [color={usenetquotecolor}]> balance with out holding on to a frame of some kind.. Try rocking and you'll[/color]
    [color={usenetquotecolor}]> soon see what i mean...[/color]

Actually, I knew someone in college who kept in shape during winter with one of
    those drum rollers. He put his bike on it and pedalled, just as if he were on
    the road. He used to put a book holder on the handlebars and study while
    cycling. Of course, you have to pay some attention, at least subliminally, or
    you can *ride* off the rollers and crash...so you have to *steer* straight. As I
    recall, they are pricier than the standard exercise adapters, but he felt it was
    more realistic... ~Leander overfall@ixl.net

Re: stationary bicycle trainers

[color={usenetquotecolor}]> Has anyone tried riding a uni on one of those roller systems that will turn a[/color]
    [color={usenetquotecolor}]> regular bicycle into a stationary trainer? It sounds like a great way to[/color]
    [color={usenetquotecolor}]> practice or possibly a great way to break one's neck.[/color]

Don't try this. If the wheel is only rotating but not moving then how can you
    balance with out holding on to a frame of some kind..

Try rocking and you'll soon see what i mean...

Comment

Cutme <e.i.crichton@ncl.ac.uk> wrote:

[color={usenetquotecolor}]>> Has anyone tried riding a uni on one of those roller systems that will turn a[/color]
      [color={usenetquotecolor}]>> regular bicycle into a stationary trainer? It sounds like a great way to[/color]
      [color={usenetquotecolor}]>> practice or possibly a great way to break one's neck.[/color]
      [color={usenetquotecolor}]>Don't try this. If the wheel is only rotating but not moving then how can you[/color]
      [color={usenetquotecolor}]>balance with out holding on to a frame of some kind..[/color]
      [color={usenetquotecolor}]>Try rocking and you'll soon see what i mean...[/color]

Of course rocking is impossible . . . . :-)

Of course a bicycle can balance with the wheel rotating but not moving, and
      that's because the bike can still move side to side to maintain balance. The
      problem for the unicyclist will be that the wheel needs to go at least a little
      bit forward and back for the rider to be able to maintain a balance above it.

I don't think unicycling on rollers is completely impossible, but it would be
      very difficult to do, and probably impossible to do in combination with trying
      to get a workout of any kind.

Stay on Top, John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone unifoss@calweb.com
      http://www.calweb.com/~unifoss/index.htm President, International Unicycling
      Federation Chairman, IUF Skill Levels and Rules Committee pretty good rider, too

Comment

dmc <conant@aud.alcatel.com> writes:

[color={usenetquotecolor}]>Has anyone tried riding a uni on one of those roller systems that will turn a[/color]
        [color={usenetquotecolor}]>regular bicycle into a stationary trainer? It sounds like a great way to[/color]
        [color={usenetquotecolor}]>practice or possibly a great way to break one's neck.[/color]

I have seen a photo of someone riding a unicycle on a treadmill. It shouldn't be
        too hard, as long as you can keep up a consistent pace (at the same speed as the
        treadmill).

[color={usenetquotecolor}]:bigsimon[/color]

Comment

Working...
        X