Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two left pedals [Re: Threads of unicycle pedals]

Doug Borngasser <db@ucsd.edu> wrote:

[color={usenetquotecolor}]>Anyone have an opinion as to the dangers or difficulties if both cranks are[/color]
    [color={usenetquotecolor}]>left handed?[/color]

If tightened sufficiently, two left threaded pedals and cranks should pose no
    problem whatsoever. By sufficiently, I mean as tight as possible with a 12 inch
    pedal wrench without stripping the threads. (When the pedal absolutely refuses
    to be tightened further, it is tight enough [to stay on forever].)

The risk of stripping threads by tightening too much with even a 12 inch is many
    times less than ruining the threads by not tightening enough. However, body
    builders may need to use some restraint while tightening pedals with a 12 inch
    pedal wrench.

Stay on Top, with two left pedals,

Ken Fuchs <kfuchs@winternet.com

Re: Two left pedals [Re: Threads of unicycle pedals]

On Thu, 3 Aug 1995, Ken Fuchs wrote:

[color={usenetquotecolor}]> If tightened sufficiently, two left threaded pedals and cranks should pose no[/color]
    [color={usenetquotecolor}]> problem whatsoever. By sufficiently, I mean as tight as[/color]

[color={usenetquotecolor}]> The risk of stripping threads by tightening too much with even a 12[/color]

I rode -- very happily -- with a pair of 165mm left cranks on a Schwinn, but not
    without problems. These were aluminum cranks, so striping did end up being a
    problem, and their ultimate demise. They stripped because I tore out the threads
    hopping down stairs while they were loose; they were loose despite my best
    effort with a 30cm wrench.

Based on experience with these cranks and others on my mountain bike, it seems
    that they vary in hardness -- with a soft aluminum alloy you may have problems.

Another problem -- the extra length puts more torque on the spindle (axel) when
    jumping, such that I sheared a spindle jumping stairs.

eric.

Comment

Working...
    X