Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

!The collective IdIoTS guide to unispins!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AllThingsUni
    if you arent landing unispins its cuz youre scared. if you werent scared it would all flow and youd land. and...stop making it a science everybody my goodness.
    if ur not landing backflips its cuz ur scared. you just gotta do it man.
    It's not that simple for most people. There are other factors than being scared. Granted, being scared is one of the largest obstacles in learning to unispin, but it's not like some tips or advice wouldn't help.

Comment

180 and 360 guides ( taken from my tutorial in unicyclopedia)

180 unispin.
      firstly you want to be comfortable hopping with the seat infront. once you can do that learn the 180 jump mount. simply jump off the ground, spin the uni 180 degrees and land with your feet on the pedals. once you can do both of these reasonably well you should be ready to try a 180 unispin. Get on with the seat out in front holding the seat with one hand on the front and one on the back and steady yourself. some people like to do small bunnyhops to find their center of balance. then when you are ready jump up into the air whilst keeping the uni more or less on the ground. you dont want it to come up with you. then spin it 180 whichever way you feel most comfortable and then land with your feet on the pedals or cranks. if you are not sure that you are going to land it, instead land on the ground next to the pedals. one thing that really helped me was keeping the wheel on the ground and using the seat to kinda keep yourself in the air. this trick should take around 45 mins more or less of solid practicing to learn. even then you may not be able to do it every time. remember to wear shin guards in case you miss the pedals and remember that your feet dont have to go out too much. i jarred my wrist really badly doin this so wristguards or tape may be good. P.S I realise that this is already in the freestyle section but this is also a street skill and this has more detail. here is my video tutorial. http://www.unicyclist.com/index.php?..._itemId=280784

360 unispin
      The 360 unispin is somewhat different to the 180 unispin. to do the 360 unispin you firstly want to be able to do the 180 unispin (obviously) and you want to be good at it. unlike the 180 unispin the 360 jump mount is not a necessity. i actually find it harder than the 360 unispin. okay, there are a few things to learn. firstly you want to figure out how your going to spin the uni. some people let go of the seat when they spin the uni some dont. i dont, im not that coordinated. once you figure this out practice practice practice. get comfortable doing this. then figure out whether to spin seat in or out. i spin seat in so that it stays under me. then practice some more. one day it'll just come to you.
      Quotes from ACA
      "two out of three of our children are directly involved with selling drugs..."
      "50% of all reproductive problems are because of the man..." and from my mum "is titanium strong?"

Comment

To learn the 180 uni-spin I found it most helpfull to start out doing 90 degree uni-spins. That is just spinning your uni 90 degrees so that you land bouncing on the tire. Then spin the uni the other 90 degrees and land on the pedals. After doing this for a few days you will be able to spin the uni 180 and after a few tries, land on the pedals.
        But just to deviate from the norm, I am a big advocate of bare-foot uni-spinning.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	barefootspin.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	2407450
        If Jackie was a girl, I thinkd id date her.
        ~Jerrick

If my government ever decides to blow me up, I hope they will choose to do it in a humane way also.

~johnfoss

hinunggbinu!!!

~JJtheunicycle

Comment

ok i just re learned the 360 unispin. my tips are keep the seat close to ur legs and lean foward with ur upper body so that your face is looking at the cranks. eg u want to be in like an upside down L shape.the little bit of the L being your upper body. then bounce like you usually do to get ur center of balance. then pause bend down toward the uni and hop upward whilst spinning. you will hopefully go foward ever so slightly so that you land ontop of the uni rather than having the uni just go out infront of you and not landing on it.this is difficult to explain so ill have a vid and a frame by frame analysys by tonight. not now i just stuffed my achilies.
          Quotes from ACA
          "50% of all reproductive problems are because of the man..." and from my mum "is titanium strong?"

Comment

Here's THE tip I've missed for a long time for unispins: spinning direction.
            I hop with my left foot forward, so I spin my uni counter-clockwyse so that my feet can stop the spin when I land on the pedals/cranks.
            I used to spin the other way when practicing the 180 unispin and when I tried the other way, every thing looked much easier
            GILD: "You get to play every game in the world, in the finest game setting known to man, your imagination."

One of these days I'm gonna change my evil ways.
            Till then I'll just keep riding on

Comment

only one foot will have the pedal coming towards it in any direction. its not like their both coming towards you when spinning counter clockwise. really its irrerrevant. find whagt works for you and unispinning is inevidable....in..in...inevidable. btw im not weird. team america reference...
              Quotes from ACA

Comment

really? have you seen a man eat his own head?

my leg armour (wow that sounds beefy) should be here on monday meaning i shall be able to overcome my fear and land a 180 and maybe even 360 unispin. i can get the spin for both and bring my feet down but i keep deliberately missing because subconsiously i fear loosing my shin skin.
                Your life is a storm, thunder is your music and lightning is your electric dancing legs, groove on friends. Groove on.

Comment

Originally posted by Zzagg
                  Here's THE tip I've missed for a long time for unispins: spinning direction.
                  I hop with my left foot forward, so I spin my uni counter-clockwyse so that my feet can stop the spin when I land on the pedals/cranks.
                  I used to spin the other way when practicing the 180 unispin and when I tried the other way, every thing looked much easier
                  Agreed.

Except for rolling 180s (and rolling 360s) I think it's usually easier to spin clockwise (from left foot forward) so, then you can easily spin one handed from seat in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ll0z-aq8yKE
                  I think oranges were named before carrots

Comment

FINE DON'T ANSWER MY QUESTION!
                    Nobody knows what happened to that boy after that.-Nutcracker

I know. He was kidnapped by aliens, learnt their ways, stole the biggest ship he could, travelled back in time by mistake and crashed the plane on the Earth surface. He was the one who killed the dinosaurs. -Ivan

Comment

Originally posted by Joe2005
                      Do you (by you I mean the people who can do this already) recomend learning with plastic pedals or should i just keep my bulletproof's on?
                      I learned to unispin with metal pedals, and that's what I ride with. Haven't tried plastic pedals so couldn't say if it's easier or not. If I was gonna get plastic pedals I'd get the Twisted Odyssey ones, they've got the same platform design as the much touted Jim Cs (which I use).

Comment

^^^
                        don't think it would be easier either with plastic to make the spin. What i'm wondering is it less of a chance I will hurt myself.
                        Nobody knows what happened to that boy after that.-Nutcracker

I know. He was kidnapped by aliens, learnt their ways, stole the biggest ship he could, travelled back in time by mistake and crashed the plane on the Earth surface. He was the one who killed the dinosaurs. -Ivan

Comment

I can land my 180 unispins pretty well, but with 360's i can't really get close. I started by keeping my hands on the seat and doing a 360 mount. Thats easy, but then after watching the pro's do it i realized they have both hands on one side of the seat and catch it while its spinning. Its probably that i'm too afraid to do this. but its hard as hell

Comment

Originally posted by Joe2005
                            What i'm wondering is it less of a chance I will hurt myself.
                            Plastic or metal, there's the potential to hit yourself in the shins pretty hard if you're not wearing shin protection. A pedal in the shin shouldn't count as "hurting yourself", hurting yourself is when you physically can't ride for the next few days. So to answer your question, there's almost zero chance that you'll hurt yourself!
                            Last edited by pete66; 2006-12-06, 11:07 PM.

Comment

does anyone have any tips for rolling 180s? i can do 1 handed 180s and when i try them rolling i end up doing half a hickflip and not landing

ps. frame by frame analysys is coming.............
                              Last edited by gabetheunicycleman; 2006-12-07, 02:30 AM.
                              Quotes from ACA

Comment

For rolling 180s I go seat in, jump up off the pedals with the uni just slightly in the air, kick my feet out and spin the uni. Then try to land on the cranks first with your knees bent.

Comment

Working...
                                X