WARNING 07 KH ISIS crank removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Beener
    KOXX-1 NOT ISIS are fine because the smaller button on my crank extractor is just small enough to fit inside the shaft and then the threads of my extractor ended up the same size as the shaft itself. I was a little baffled when I got all the way to the end of the extractor but my cranks didn't budge. No damage was a good thing for sure.
    Hah I did the same thing. I brought it to the bike shop the other day though and it turns out that although I didn't destroy the threads, they are damaged. It has been causing that crank to coming loose.

Comment

Originally posted by zfreak220
      i remember reading a tip somewher that said you put a penny or something in before the crank extractor. can anyone confirm this?
      I did this to remove the crank to get to the cap with a few 5ps but they bend real bad
      Last edited by thejdw; 2007-03-13, 10:19 PM.
      I didn't spell it wrong, you just read it wrong!

Comment

i don't care if they bend, i was just wondering if it works, and works well.

Comment

Originally posted by zfreak220
          i remember reading a tip somewher that said you put a penny or something in before the crank extractor. can anyone confirm this?
          It can be done. I used a Singapore 5c coin (16mm diameter). It does indeed ruin the coin. Better to use an ISIS crank puller.
          Take a squizz at my YouTube videos!

Comment

mine did it too. this sucks!
            i have been using an american dime and it works well for my oth uni that is not stripped
            favorite clips of myself video
            http://vimeo.com/8267657

Comment

where could i buy a tap for my hub. its 12mm X1mm right? its a kh new hub. isis

Comment

where could I buy a tap for my kh hub. its 12mmdiameter and 1mm pitch!
                THANKS GUYS!

Comment

Can you say NECROPOSTING?
                  [B]Take a look at the bigger picture, we're all mere holograms.

Comment

I feel stupid I just replied to an old thread I had already replied to, I guess that teaches me to read the whole thread and not just the first page.
                    Last edited by ntappin; 2008-04-29, 02:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SHAY_CAM
                      Can you say NECROPOSTING?
                      Yes. It sounds funny. But this is a good thread to revive.

Goodluck Joeseph. I was there when you were asking Phil.
                      Just bumming around MR~~~~~~~~~Team Forrest~~~~~~~~~Team Dirty Bird!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      Check out my Band.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~!Quack!~~~~Team Spencer!~~~Member of the MRIS.
                      Want some advice? Do better.
                      ~Jerrick

Comment

Guys Here Is The Solution.

ok, so I went to this web page.

they claim to have a 12mmX1mm tap! they just emailed me back.

if you wanna talk to them just email or call them.

I dont know their reputation, but they emailed me back within an hour which I think is a good sign of reputable business.

here is their web page.

www.e-taps.com

The tap is about 20$ american for shipping and everything. I think they are located in the united states.
                        This is a good deal.
                        for a new hub and a wheel build would cost about 90$ about.

Comment

This is what happens the time I do not double check the procedure, just in case. As some have said here, don't overthink, just keep it simple.

I ended up damaging up the threads removing the isis cranks on my KH 20. Hope I can get this fixed otherwise I need a new hub etc. Don't want to tap this myself and cross thread it or make it worse. Would rather an experienced hand do this.

Notice that a few other folks "keeping it simple" made the same mistake...
                          Last edited by Up Rite; 2017-11-28, 06:19 PM. Reason: added stuff

Human gyroscope in training.

Comment

Originally posted by Up Rite View Post
                            This is what happens the time I do not double check the procedure, just in case. As some have said here, don't overthink, just keep it simple.

I ended up damaging up the threads removing the isis cranks on my KH 20. Hope I can get this fixed otherwise I need a new hub etc. Don't want to tap this myself and cross thread it or make it worse. Would rather an experienced hand do this.

Notice that a few other folks "keeping it simple" made the same mistake...
                            So you used the square taper side of the crank puller and it damaged the threads in the hub (not the crank threads)? If I'm following correctly, I wouldn't be too worried about re-tapping it yourself. Usually with cutting fluid and a good tap, you won't be able to cross-thread it too easily. You should be able to find an M12 tap and handle for a lot cheaper than a new hub.

Comment

Originally posted by Jener8or View Post
                              So you used the square taper side of the crank puller and it damaged the threads in the hub (not the crank threads)? If I'm following correctly, I wouldn't be too worried about re-tapping it yourself. Usually with cutting fluid and a good tap, you won't be able to cross-thread it too easily. You should be able to find an M12 tap and handle for a lot cheaper than a new hub.
                              Thats's correct, I damaged the hub, not the cranks. Now I realize there is a different end that needed to be swapped.

Shouldn't have done it tired at the end of a long day...

Human gyroscope in training.

Comment

Originally posted by Up Rite View Post
                                Thats's correct, I damaged the hub, not the cranks. Now I realize there is a different end that needed to be swapped.

Shouldn't have done it tired at the end of a long day...
                                A regular tapered tap should have enough chamfer on it that it will help line it up with the hole and clear out the first few threads (probably the only threads that got damaged.) If you have a pick or pokey tool (dart maybe) you might be able to chase the threads out with that.
                                It's a lot easier on aluminum than a hardened chromoly hub spindle, but might still be worth a try...

Comment

Working...
                                X