WARNING 07 KH ISIS crank removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

im thinking about buying a kh isis cranks and hub
    you guys know if it fit in the nimbus frame ?
    From HELL SP mono CLUBE!

###unicycle for JAH RASTAFARI###
    One wheel in brazil

Comment

Originally posted by picado
      Nimbus II frame?

I am not sure about the regular, rounded Nimbus frame, but if I remember right, you ordered the Nimbus Hoppley, and that comes with the Nimbus II frame, so I hope your using that one. lol

Anyways, because the Nimbus II frames bearing holders arent machined and perfect like on a kH frame, they will hold the 42mm bearings from KH. =p
      Just bumming around MR~~~~~~~~~Team Forrest~~~~~~~~~Team Dirty Bird!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Check out my Band.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~!Quack!~~~~Team Spencer!~~~Member of the MRIS.
      Want some advice? Do better.
      ~Jerrick

Comment

Originally posted by picado
        The KH ISIS hub has 42mm bearings and I think most nimbus frames take 40mm bearings. The KH ISIS hub does not have the option of installing the Torker DX 40mm bearings to make it fit in 40mm bearing housing frames.

If you search the forum you will find two answers:

"Yes you can with no problems, I have done it for years."

and

"No, it will cause your bearings to fail."

I have not run a 42mm bearing in a 40mm bearing housing frame for more than a few hours. So I can say
        yes it will fit but I am not sure about the long term durability of the bearings.

If you do order a KH ISIS hub and cranks and plan to put them in a nimbus frame, I would order a spare set of bearings because the KH ISIS bearings (made by Qu-ax) are 42mm x 24mm and are not a standard bearing size.

Comment

dammt
          From HELL SP mono CLUBE!

###unicycle for JAH RASTAFARI###
          One wheel in brazil

Comment

Originally posted by jayhawker
            The ISIS spec allows for the use of either M12 or M15 cranks bolts. Koxx and KH both use M12 crank bolts that have a 1.0mm pitch. So you need a 12mm x 1.0mm pitch tap.

Truvativ sells a M12 self extracting CroMo crank bolt set that I used to convert my Koxx cranks to a self extracting setup. I got this idea from using a set of Truvativ ISIS cranks on my Koxx hub (see my avatar). These should fit the KH cranks to make them self extracting.
            Thanks for the tap size info

Comment

Help pleaese!

I've done the same anybody know how I can fix it?
              Last edited by thejdw; 2007-03-12, 05:48 PM.
              I didn't spell it wrong, you just read it wrong!

Comment

Originally posted by thejdw
                I've done the same anybody know how I can fix it?
                Just order a M12 tap and a new bolt and you will be fine

Comment

Originally posted by Daytripper63
                  Just order a M12 tap and a new bolt and you will be fine
                  dw fixed (well planned weekerning/ hammer)
                  I didn't spell it wrong, you just read it wrong!

Comment

Originally posted by jayhawker
                    If you search the forum you will find two answers:

"Yes you can with no problems, I have done it for years."

and

"No, it will cause your bearings to fail."
                    I did do it for years (KH 03 hub in nimbus II frame), it runs no problems.

Hell even if they do fail after two years, new bearings are about 6 or something, lot cheaper than getting a 42mm frame.
                    Last edited by kington99; 2007-03-12, 10:21 PM.
                    Dave

- what a thoroughly post-modern subversion of the cycling genre -

Comment

i remember reading a tip somewher that said you put a penny or something in before the crank extractor. can anyone confirm this?

Comment

Originally posted by Evan Byrne
                        But the splines sink into the crank properly right? I suspect Yoggi will fix the slight variation in the 07 koxx hubs after reading all these koxx no isis threads.
                        Evan, if you're going to be acerbic, you really should stick to topics you know something about.

ISIS is a standard. If the cranks you manufacture are the only ones that fit properly on your hub, you're not following the standard. "Slight variation" is not acceptable.

Comment

Koxx-One is not offering two hubs, one using M12 bolts and one using M15. ISIS cranks require ISIS crank arm remover. Square taper crank remover has much smaller area to push on spindle....hence it getting stuck inside ISIS spindle threads.... no fun as a couple of you have found out. Any bike shop should have ISIS crank arm removal tool.

Per K1 cranks on other spindles. Last week I tried the standard K1 crank that comes on Devil 19s etc...) on 4 other brands of ISIS spindles. They fit well. Next week or so I will be getting in the LIGHT and STREET cranks in and I will try them on other ISIS spindles. Let me know if anyone is interested in my findings.

Per crank installation. I have found the best way to get good seating of cranks to spindle is with a rubber mallet. Lay the UNI/bike on its side so that the downside is touching ground/wood (place towel in between so as not to scratch up your cranks/spindle), place crank on upside......... hit forcefully 3 or 4 wacks with rubber mallet. This seats the crank onto the spindle well and greatly reduces odds of them loosening up quickly. Though you should always check crank bolt tightness numerous times after installing cranks (particularly new ones).
                          Last edited by tim williamson; 2007-03-13, 02:16 PM.
                          Enjoy,
                          Tim Williamson
                          NUMEN 2007
                          putschbytim@gmail.com

Comment

Hi Tim

Everyone knows koxx cranks apear to fit on other spindles because they are too big.

I would be interested if you find any other ISIS cranks that we can fit onto the Koxx hub

Thanks

jim

Comment

we european use 2 coins of one eurocent to prevent the crank extractor from damaging the isis axle...
                              get prepare to waste 2 eurocents because the coins are completely destroyed but if you compare this with an isis hub price... the choice is quickly done
                              GILD: "You get to play every game in the world, in the finest game setting known to man, your imagination."

One of these days I'm gonna change my evil ways.
                              Till then I'll just keep riding on

Comment

Remove cranks easily with the proper tools!

The right tools for the KH 2007 crank removal operation
                                http://www.parktool.com/products/det...6&item=CCP%2D4
                                with
                                http://www.parktool.com/products/det...26&item=HR%2D8
                                or this coupled with the appropriate wrench
                                http://www.parktool.com/products/det...6&item=CWP%2D6

The CCP-4 is really simple to use. Remove the 8mm Allen bolt. Make sure the threads on the crank are as clean as possible before screwing the crank removal tool into the crank. It's a good idea to check the crank removal tool threads, too. If the tool was dropped or hit by something it is very easy for the fine steel threads to get damaged. If you can't screw the tool in with your fingers you are probably stripping the aluminum threads on the crank - this is bad! Once the crank pulling tool is firmly screwed into the crank - turn the handle and your crank will slowly be pulled free. It really is simple, if you make sure the threads on the crank and the tool are clean!

Comment

Working...
                                X