Tire pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire pressure

I've had my uni for almost 3 weeks now and I just discovered that the tire was a
    little low on my 20" wheel. I weigh 170. I looked down and it looked a little
    bulged out on the bottom. I checked the tire pressure and it was 27 psi. So I
    looked on the tire and it said to inflate from 35 - 50 psi. Being as the high
    pressure hose fills a little tire quickly I just popped on the tire chuck for a
    second at a time and first time I got 35 psi, so I did it again and I got 42
    psi. I left it there.

Then I went for a trip down the hall again and I have much more control. Does
    anyone have any knowledge or thoughts on tire pressure and control?

Lowell yoda@socket.net

Re: Tire pressure

Most unicyclist do overinflate their tire. Keep in mind that tires are not
    designed for all the weight to be on one tire. Most tires work 50%
    overinflated. Experiment till you find what pressure works well for you. The
    exception would be a fat offroad tire. Be careful with high pressure hoses.
    Hand pumps are best. -Mark

--- "yoda" <yoda@socket.net>
    [color={usenetquotecolor}]> wrote: I've had my uni for almost 3 weeks now and I just discovered that the[/color]
    [color={usenetquotecolor}]> tire was a little low on my 20" wheel. I weigh 170. I looked down and it[/color]
    [color={usenetquotecolor}]> looked a little bulged out on the bottom. I checked the tire pressure and it[/color]
    [color={usenetquotecolor}]> was 27 psi. So I looked on the tire and it said to inflate from 35 - 50 psi.[/color]
    [color={usenetquotecolor}]> Being as the high pressure hose fills a little tire quickly I just popped on[/color]
    [color={usenetquotecolor}]> the tire chuck for a second at a time and first time I got 35 psi, so I did it[/color]
    [color={usenetquotecolor}]> again and I got 42 psi. I left it there.[/color]
    [color={usenetquotecolor}]>[/color]
    [color={usenetquotecolor}]>Then I went for a trip down the hall again and I have much more control. Does[/color]
    [color={usenetquotecolor}]>anyone have any knowledge or thoughts on tire pressure and control?[/color]
    [color={usenetquotecolor}]> Lowell yoda@socket.net[/color]

Comment

RE: Tire pressure

[color={usenetquotecolor}]> Most unicyclist do overinflate their tire. Keep in mind that tires are not[/color]
      [color={usenetquotecolor}]> designed for all the weight to be on one tire. Most tires work 50%[/color]
      [color={usenetquotecolor}]> overinflated. Experiment till you find what pressure works well for you. The[/color]
      [color={usenetquotecolor}]> exception would be a fat offroad tire. Be careful with high pressure hoses.[/color]
      [color={usenetquotecolor}]> Hand pumps are best. -Mark[/color]

Never thought about the one wheel carrying all the weight but I guess it's
      really not a special tire. Good thought. Do you think the 42 psi I have now is
      enough? I think I'll get a hand pump, going to service station is a Pain anyway.

Lowell yoda@socket.net

[color={usenetquotecolor}]> --- "yoda" <yoda@socket.net>[/color]
      [color={usenetquotecolor2}]> > wrote: I've had my uni for almost 3 weeks now and I just discovered that the[/color]
      [color={usenetquotecolor2}]> > tire was a little low on my 20" wheel. I weigh 170. I looked down and it[/color]
      [color={usenetquotecolor2}]> > looked a little bulged out on the bottom. I checked the tire pressure and it[/color]
      [color={usenetquotecolor2}]> > was 27 psi. So I looked on the tire and it said to inflate from 35 - 50 psi.[/color]
      [color={usenetquotecolor2}]> > Being as the high pressure hose fills a little tire quickly I just popped on[/color]
      [color={usenetquotecolor2}]> > the tire chuck for a second at a time and first time I got 35 psi, so I did[/color]
      [color={usenetquotecolor2}]> > it again and I got 42 psi. I left it there.[/color]
      [color={usenetquotecolor2}]> >[/color]
      [color={usenetquotecolor2}]> >Then I went for a trip down the hall again and I have much more control. Does[/color]
      [color={usenetquotecolor2}]> >anyone have any knowledge or thoughts on tire pressure and control?[/color]
      [color={usenetquotecolor2}]> > Lowell yoda@socket.net[/color]
      [color={usenetquotecolor}]> _____________________________________________________________[/color]
      [color={usenetquotecolor}]> Free e-Mail and Webspace - http://Unicyclist.com[/color]

Comment

On my 20" I usuly have the tire between 80 and 100 psi. I haven't had any
        problems with blowouts, but I always make shure that the tire is seated well. It
        makes it easer to do trick and to turn on gym floors and stuff. I think it goes
        a little faster too. I'm about the same weight as you; lighter people need less
        pressue to get a good ride

Peter

[color={usenetquotecolor}]>I've had my uni for almost 3 weeks now and I just discovered that the tire was[/color]
        [color={usenetquotecolor}]>a little low on my 20" wheel. I weigh 170. I looked down and it looked a little[/color]
        [color={usenetquotecolor}]>bulged out on the bottom. I checked the tire pressure and it was 27 psi. So I[/color]
        [color={usenetquotecolor}]>looked on the tire and it said to inflate from 35 - 50 psi. Being as the high[/color]
        [color={usenetquotecolor}]>pressure hose fills a little tire[/color]
        quickly
        [color={usenetquotecolor}]>I just popped on the tire chuck for a second at a time and first time I got 35[/color]
        [color={usenetquotecolor}]>psi, so I did it again and I got 42 psi. I left it there.[/color]
        [color={usenetquotecolor}]>Then I went for a trip down the hall again and I have much more control. Does[/color]
        [color={usenetquotecolor}]>anyone have any knowledge or thoughts on tire pressure and control?[/color]

Comment

I wish there were Presta valves for standard unicycle tires like my road bike.
          They are a little more trouble but really hold up under high pressure. With my
          250 lbs, I frequently overinflate the unicycle tires. Usually around 100psi.

Here's a link to some Presta valve basics:

http://my.voyager.net/~olderr/bcwebs...xt/t/tirev.htm

Brian Berlin

Mark Stephens <Cokerhead@unicyclist.com> wrote in message
          news:20000910190622.D19B5E0B5@sitemail.everyone.net...
          [color={usenetquotecolor}]> Most unicyclist do overinflate their tire. Keep in mind that tires are[/color]
          not designed for all the weight to be on one tire. Most tires work 50%
          overinflated. Experiment till you find what pressure works well for you. The
          exception would be a fat offroad tire.
          [color={usenetquotecolor}]> Be careful with high pressure hoses. Hand pumps are best. -Mark[/color]
          [color={usenetquotecolor}]> --- "yoda" <yoda@socket.net>[/color]
          [color={usenetquotecolor2}]> > wrote: I've had my uni for almost 3 weeks now and I just discovered that the[/color]
          [color={usenetquotecolor2}]> > tire was a little low on my 20" wheel. I weigh 170. I looked down and it[/color]
          [color={usenetquotecolor2}]> > looked a little bulged out on the bottom. I checked the tire pressure and it[/color]
          [color={usenetquotecolor2}]> > was 27 psi. So I looked on the tire and it said to[/color]
          inflate
          [color={usenetquotecolor2}]> >from 35 - 50 psi. Being as the high pressure hose fills a little tire[/color]
          quickly
          [color={usenetquotecolor2}]> >I just popped on the tire chuck for a second at a time and first time I got[/color]
          [color={usenetquotecolor2}]> >35 psi, so I did it again and I got 42 psi. I left it there.[/color]
          [color={usenetquotecolor2}]> >Then I went for a trip down the hall again and I have much more control. Does[/color]
          [color={usenetquotecolor2}]> >anyone have any knowledge or thoughts on tire pressure and control?[/color]
          [color={usenetquotecolor}]> _____________________________________________________________[/color]
          [color={usenetquotecolor}]> Free e-Mail and Webspace - http://Unicyclist.com[/color]

Comment

[color={usenetquotecolor}]> On my 20" I usuly have the tire between 80 and 100 psi. I haven't had any[/color]
            [color={usenetquotecolor}]> problems with blowouts, but I always make shure that the tire is seated well.[/color]
            [color={usenetquotecolor}]> It makes it easer to do trick and to turn on gym floors and stuff. I think it[/color]
            [color={usenetquotecolor}]> goes a little faster too. I'm about the same weight as you; lighter people[/color]
            [color={usenetquotecolor}]> need less pressue to get a good ride[/color]
            [color={usenetquotecolor}]> Peter[/color]

OK, that makes 2 people that say more tire pressure. Sounds like I better pump
            it up some more. Thanks for your input. I'm trying to learn all I can about
            unicycling.

Lowell yoda@socket.net

[color={usenetquotecolor2}]> >I've had my uni for almost 3 weeks now and I just discovered that the tire[/color]
            [color={usenetquotecolor2}]> >was a little low on my 20" wheel. I weigh 170. I looked down and it looked a[/color]
            [color={usenetquotecolor2}]> >little bulged out on the bottom. I checked the tire pressure and it was 27[/color]
            [color={usenetquotecolor2}]> >psi. So I looked on the tire and it said to inflate from 35 - 50 psi. Being[/color]
            [color={usenetquotecolor2}]> >as the high pressure hose fills a little tire[/color]
            [color={usenetquotecolor}]> quickly[/color]
            [color={usenetquotecolor2}]> >I just popped on the tire chuck for a second at a time and first time I got[/color]
            [color={usenetquotecolor2}]> >35 psi, so I did it again and I got 42 psi. I left it there.[/color]

Comment

could someone tell me how to get off this list?

----- Original Message ----- From: Peter Nyflot <peter-nyflot@bethel.edu> To:
              Unicycle Mailing List <unicycling@winternet.com> Sent: Monday, September 11,
              2000 2:13 AM Subject: Re: Tire pressure

[color={usenetquotecolor}]> On my 20" I usuly have the tire between 80 and 100 psi. I haven't had any[/color]
              [color={usenetquotecolor}]> problems with blowouts, but I always make shure that the tire is seated well.[/color]
              [color={usenetquotecolor}]> It makes it easer to do trick and to turn on gym floors and stuff. I think it[/color]
              [color={usenetquotecolor}]> goes a little faster too. I'm about the same weight as you; lighter people[/color]
              [color={usenetquotecolor}]> need less pressue to get a good ride[/color]
              [color={usenetquotecolor}]> Peter[/color]
              [color={usenetquotecolor2}]> >I've had my uni for almost 3 weeks now and I just discovered that the tire[/color]
              [color={usenetquotecolor2}]> >was a little low on my 20" wheel. I weigh 170. I looked down and it looked a[/color]
              [color={usenetquotecolor2}]> >little bulged out on the bottom. I checked the tire pressure and it was 27[/color]
              [color={usenetquotecolor2}]> >psi. So I looked on the tire and it said to[/color]
              inflate
              [color={usenetquotecolor2}]> >from 35 - 50 psi. Being as the high pressure hose fills a little tire[/color]

Comment

For our normal street Miyata unicycles, the recommended pressure is 72psi, and
                we've found that to work fine. When they get down to 50 or whatever, I pump up
                to 80. That's for 20" and 24" with normal (skinny) tires.

---Nathan

"yoda" <yoda@socket.net> wrote in message
                news:000001c01b57$26c62b40$c72f6ad8@...tech.mocty.com...
                [color={usenetquotecolor}]> I've had my uni for almost 3 weeks now and I just discovered that the tire was[/color]
                [color={usenetquotecolor}]> a little low on my 20" wheel. I weigh 170. I looked down and it looked a[/color]
                [color={usenetquotecolor}]> little bulged out on the bottom. I checked the tire pressure and it was 27[/color]
                [color={usenetquotecolor}]> psi. So I looked on the tire and it said to inflate from 35 - 50 psi. Being as[/color]
                [color={usenetquotecolor}]> the high pressure hose fills a little tire[/color]
                quickly
                [color={usenetquotecolor}]> I just popped on the tire chuck for a second at a time and first time I got 35[/color]
                [color={usenetquotecolor}]> psi, so I did it again and I got 42 psi. I left it there.[/color]
                [color={usenetquotecolor}]> Then I went for a trip down the hall again and I have much more control. Does[/color]
                [color={usenetquotecolor}]> anyone have any knowledge or thoughts on tire pressure and control?[/color]

Comment

[color={usenetquotecolor}]> For our normal street Miyata unicycles, the recommended pressure is 72psi, and[/color]
                  [color={usenetquotecolor}]> we've found that to work fine. When they get down to 50 or whatever, I pump up[/color]
                  [color={usenetquotecolor}]> to 80. That's for 20" and 24" with normal (skinny) tires.[/color]
                  [color={usenetquotecolor}]> ---Nathan[/color]

Sounds like everyone is using HIGH pressure. Makes sense with all that weight on
                  one tire. To make it clear as to what tire I have, it's a Chene Shin Tire, 20 x
                  1.75 made in Taiwan, Nylon, inflate to 35 - 50 psi. I should have put all that
                  in my original message.

Lowell yoda@socket.net

[color={usenetquotecolor}]> "yoda" <yoda@socket.net> wrote in message[/color]
                  [color={usenetquotecolor}]> news:000001c01b57$26c62b40$c72f6ad8@...tech.mocty.com...[/color]
                  [color={usenetquotecolor2}]> > I've had my uni for almost 3 weeks now and I just discovered that the tire[/color]
                  [color={usenetquotecolor2}]> > was a little low on my 20" wheel. I weigh 170. I looked down and it looked a[/color]
                  [color={usenetquotecolor2}]> > little bulged out on the bottom. I checked the tire pressure and it was 27[/color]
                  [color={usenetquotecolor2}]> > psi. So I looked on the tire and it said to inflate from 35 - 50 psi. Being[/color]
                  [color={usenetquotecolor2}]> > as the high pressure hose fills a little tire[/color]
                  [color={usenetquotecolor2}]> > I just popped on the tire chuck for a second at a time and first time I got[/color]
                  [color={usenetquotecolor2}]> > 35 psi, so I did it again and I got 42 psi. I left it there.[/color]
                  [color={usenetquotecolor2}]> > Then I went for a trip down the hall again and I have much more control.[/color]
                  [color={usenetquotecolor2}]> > Does anyone have any knowledge or thoughts on tire pressure and control?[/color]

Comment

Working...
                  X