Older Riders: Your views and experiences wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Older Riders: Your views and experiences wanted

I've been approached by a journalist who's writing an article about unicycling, specifically muni, for the Telegraph newspaper in the UK. I met him this evening and he reckons it would be good to get some input from some older riders (the paper is a traditional broadsheet and apparently has a more mature readership).
    I don't personally know any riders over the age of mid-forties or so, but I told him there were plenty of people on this forum in their 50s or 60s, if not older - I've heard of people riding, even learning to ride, in their 90s.
    If any of you "more mature" unicyclists are game to be asked a couple of questions (don't have to be in the UK) please get in touch with Chris Wilson, email chris.wilson(at)bluebottle(dot)com
    If you're into muni then even better.

Cheers,

Rob
    "Hedgehogs - why can't they just share the hedge?" (Dan Antopolski)

"I would absolutely recommend a 29er to anyone who didn't prefer a larger or small wheel." (Mikefule)

bumping this up a bit for todays readers. I'm too young for this one, tho I'm going to the photo shoot on Sunday for it(see seperate thread).
    South West Unicycle Meet
    www.uk.unicyclist.com/swum.html

Comment

Yahoo. Still another ten years until I'm considered an older rider.
      Cathy

Comment

Originally posted by rob.northcott
        I've been approached by a journalist who's writing an article about unicycling, specifically muni, for the Telegraph
        Did you mention the Bristol-Bath ride to him?

Obviously it's not muni, but the riders page shows that there's at least one middle-aged rider planning to ride. Even a brief mention in a national newspaper, along with the url, might bring in some extra sponsorship.
        http://www.redpedals.co.uk
        "I'm riding a unicycle with my pants down. This should be every boy's dream." - Bart Simpson

Comment

If Cathwood can't be an Older Rider I hereby recommend her for title of Learned Sage.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny Colyer
            Did you mention the Bristol-Bath ride to him?

Obviously it's not muni, but the riders page shows that there's at least one middle-aged rider planning to ride. Even a brief mention in a national newspaper, along with the url, might bring in some extra sponsorship.
            I'll mention it to him today, when we do the photoshoot. I don't think it's going to be published before the BB run date though, but I'll find out.

Rob

"I would absolutely recommend a 29er to anyone who didn't prefer a larger or small wheel." (Mikefule)

Comment

I don't personally know any riders over the age of mid-forties or so,
              Are you denying you know me, Peter?

Or is it that I am no longer a rider? Too busy to ride at the moment.

Or are you saying I don't look like I'm in my mid forties and you hadn't realised?

44 in November.
              My first novel, Bridge of Otherwhere, Michael Wilkinson, on Kindle. A tale of subtle magic, mystery, friendship and love. Tinyurl.com/Bridge-of-Otherwhere For US$ page: TinyURL.com/OtherwhereBridge

Comment

Originally posted by Mikefule
                Are you denying you know me, Peter?
                Pete, of course, being one of the many biblical references with which my posts are littered. Praise the lord.
                My first novel, Bridge of Otherwhere, Michael Wilkinson, on Kindle. A tale of subtle magic, mystery, friendship and love. Tinyurl.com/Bridge-of-Otherwhere For US$ page: TinyURL.com/OtherwhereBridge

Comment

I'll mention it to him today, when we do the photoshoot. I don't think it's going to be published before the BB run date though, but I'll find out.
                  I think it should still be possible to make donations via the ride website after the event :-)

Just a reminder for everyone else:
                  http://www.bristoltobathonaunicycle.co.uk/
                  http://www.redpedals.co.uk
                  "I'm riding a unicycle with my pants down. This should be every boy's dream." - Bart Simpson

Comment

Danny: I let him know about the ride - the article is due out next weekend and he said he should be able to give it a plug.

Mike: I said I didn't know any riders over the age of mid-forties - I would say you're still within that range, and not counted as old enough yet
                    Chris, the journalist, is about forty-lowish-something himself so that still counts as young... he's after people in their 50s plus I think.

Rob

Comment

I sent an email to the adress: being a 58-ish Muni-er I may qualify (though being French )
                      One Wheel : bear necessity
                      (Abuello RodoMancat)

Comment

Originally posted by wobbling bear
                        I sent an email to the adress: being a 58-ish Muni-er I may qualify (though being French )
                        Excellent - thanks very much. You should fit his requirements perfectly

Rob

Comment

Rob,

I sent an e-mail to the journo's address the other day, before you put on the post about him wanting 50+ age.
                          I may be too young at 45, it's quite nice to still be considered too young for something, but then it is the telegraph.
                          When my sons delivered papers a few years ago the telegraph only went to sheltered housing where I guess the average age was about 75.
                          I could always lie about my age!!
                          All generalisations are dangerous, even this one.

Comment

Awesome! That would be really cool if you can get the Bristol to Bath yike ride in The Telegraph.

What day do you think it'll be in there. I'll have to get myself a copy!

Comment

Oh... and it will be possible to make doantions after the event. I think until December 22nd.

Comment

Working...
                              X