Maxxis Creepy Crawler vs. Luna Trials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maxxis Creepy Crawler vs. Luna Trials

well i kno there have been alot about this topic already but i decided to make it a poll. which do you prefer for trials, the maxxis cc or the luna trials tire for trials. and give your reasons for your choice. even if youve only ridden one of these tires comment on how you like it.

-Phil
    Maxxis Creepy Crawler
    62.26%
    Luna Trials
    37.74%
    TRIALS 4 LIFE !
    Check Out The Newbie Guide
    And the Spline Maintenance Guide!<UPDATED!!!With Video

i prefer the luna trials myself..ive ridden both and i find the luna alot more grippy and the sidewalls are stronger which is good because im pretty heavy and i dont want my tire to flat out on me. plus the little knobbies on the tire seem to last longer.

EDIT: i saw that one alreaddy ...i just wanted one between the luna and maxxis.
    Last edited by trials_uni; 2006-03-10, 09:19 PM.
    TRIALS 4 LIFE !

Comment

prefer for what, trials or street?

Maxxis cc for trials, Luna for street or a combanation of both.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ME
        which do you prefer for trials, the maxxis cc or the luna trials tire for trials
        trials
        TRIALS 4 LIFE !

Comment

Yes, I'm going back on my word. Go ahead and kick me. Haha.

When I go home for the weekend, next weeked (I'm in college about 2hrs from home) I'll get to compare the two side by side. Only, the Luna is on the bc wheel that I received at home a few days ago.

I think that why I wrote a bad review for the creepy crawler was that I was so used to riding the Luna on my trials unicycle. Transitioning, the creepy crawler felt so different than the tire I had been used to, the Luna.

But, now that I've been riding the creepy crawler, I'm going to stick with it.

Why? Why the change of heart?

The creepy crawler is so much more grippier. At first I had a problem with this. I felt as though I was sticking to the objects I was trying to hop onto. But now, it has saved me so many times from falling off something that I was barely on.

The only downside to the grippy quality of the tire, is that the knobs wear down faster. The Luna wins in this catagory. This is another thing that still makes me mad, but more so when I made the tire switch. Although the knobs wear down faster, the creepy crawler holds up very good overall. And being a more advanced rider, I beat the heck out of tires. If I rode as much during the school year as I do during the summer I'd have to rotate my tire from significant wear every two weeks, instead of every three.

The thinner sidewalls of the creepy crawler make the tire a lot more springier. Since the temperature shifts up and down greatly in Michigan during the winter I run the pressure quite high. In the low to mid 30psi range, I can still get decent compression when the windchill is 10-30 degrees F. I can do most anything I want as those temps and pressures without fold over or bottoming out.

The only thing that the Luna is somewhat better at is handling the streets. It rolls a little smoother, do to its smaller stiffer knobs and thicker sidewalls, than the Maxxis does. It can be a real pain to lug the creepy crawler up some of the more steeper hills that I frequently use during trials rides here in Kalamazoo (at home, in Adrian, there aren't nearly as many hills).

So for trials, the Maxxis is the better tire. Test out a bunch of different pressures, and see which works best for you. It's only my personal preference to why I run the tire at a higher pressure...and I'm about 5'8' and weigh 135-140lbs

There! I said it!

Once I kill the current tire I'm riding, I'll have to re-do my review.

Later,
          Evan
          Last edited by TrialsUni; 2006-03-10, 09:58 PM.

Comment

i like the luna as i think it folds less. but i'm 6'4 190lbs and fold almost everything even at semi-high tire pressure.

Comment

im 230 and i havent folded the luna yet...keep in mind i do ride it between 30 and 35psi.
              TRIALS 4 LIFE !

Comment

But The Creep Is Awesome But Luna For Me !!

When i bought my Quax it was allready dressed up with a CC and i must admid i loved it from the first hop!!
                But in about a week i had to turn the tire in comparison to the rim.
                Doing so makes the wearing of a tire mutch more even. Also last it longer before showing some crack around the knobs (profile).
                In a timespan of 4 months eventhough i smoked my first uni tire !!!!!
                The price and the durability made me concider to try another brand. So it became a LUNA. Lower price and .... i'm still riding it. 11 months later and still good. But i have another problem with the LUNA. I know my stile of landing could improve but never popped a CC of the rim. Even under very low preasure, but the LUNA will come of in a bllink of an eye!!!
                Riding now at 2.5 atm. and checking regularly.
                They both have a different target. CC is cool, LUNA is sweeter!!
                Izzit good or izzet good??

Comment

Personaly i have only been exposed to the creepy crawler so thats y i chose that 1
                  Brownboy

Comment

i havent ridden either but the lune seems better
                    They put on panda suits and then pretend they're milking a cow. It's art. You wouldn't get it.

><> Unicycle For Christ <><

Comment

I must say that even though the Maxxis wears extremely fast (I'm on my third tire, though I could probably still ride the second), it is one good trials tire. The grip on almost any surface is incredible, I've clung onto brick walls with not more then a quarter of my tire.
                      "There is power in your wall sockets, too, but I don't recommend that you plug yourself in to learn a 540 unispin." - Harper

Comment

Brother, I agree with you: The maxxis is a good tire, but like you said, it wears down incredibly fast...

The luna is still very grippy, lasts 3 times as long as the maxxis and does NOT sidefold if you have enough pressure in it, when I started riding on it it had alot of sidefolding, and I'd seriously fall just because of the tire (not because im shit ) but now I've increased my pressure a bit I dont even have sidefolding on 1.5m gaps

LUNA.
                        Sponsored by MUNICYCLE.COM and SEMCYCLE

(new nick: DustinSchaap)

Comment

I have only ridden the Maxxis CC and my new Try-all. I prefer my try-all tire. Have you even considered that one?
                          My 29er page
                          My fresh album

Comment

Originally posted by fexnix
                            I have only ridden the Maxxis CC and my new Try-all. I prefer my try-all tire. Have you even considered that one?
                            The Try-All tire doesn't have the knobbly structure most (if not all) trials tires feature, the little square knobs are there for a reason, mainly to grab around edges and stuff like that. The Try-all, with it's MTB pattern, just doesn't do that as well. For general riding, it's probably fine, maybe even better. But for real, hardcore, trials where every cm of grip counts? No.
                            "There is power in your wall sockets, too, but I don't recommend that you plug yourself in to learn a 540 unispin." - Harper

Comment

Originally posted by Erant
                              The Try-All tire doesn't have the knobbly structure most (if not all) trials tires feature, the little square knobs are there for a reason, mainly to grab around edges and stuff like that. The Try-all, with it's MTB pattern, just doesn't do that as well. For general riding, it's probably fine, maybe even better. But for real, hardcore, trials where every cm of grip counts? No.

It is a dedicated trials tire, designed by the leading bike trials company in the world. They know what they are doing. 99 times out of 100 the tread on your tire is not going to matter at all. IMHO tread is the least important factor in a trials tire behind compound softness (and grip) and sidewall strength.
                              SWAT Gallery
                              SWAT webpage
                              Arrow Racing
                              Sixsixone

"Obie is definately a trend setter, I got in to unicycling because of him, and came here because of him" - KJ-52

"try not to annoy the great Obie, for he is better than us." - Murde Mental

Disclaimer: The above message was not intended to offend anyone. If you are offended I can take no responsibility for my actions because I don't feel like it. Also you are reading an internet newsgroup where not everyone will share your same views and beliefs, be able to take criticism and post/read threads at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
                              X