I need some information on Unicycle frames

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need some information on Unicycle frames

Alright, here goes. I have a torker cx 24" unicycle. I am attempting to put a knobby tire on it, however, the frame tapers the closer it gets to the crown. I am looking at buying a frame that doesn't taper. I know that the bearing distance from center to center is 100 mm (10 cm or about 4 inches). I am looking to buy a moderately priced frame with main cap bearing housings that can fit a 24" diameter wheel and has enough clearance for a knobby tire up to 3" wide. If anyone can tell me what frame will meet these specs and still fit my current wheel, i would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
    Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible. I think it's in my basement ... let me go upstairs and check.
    - M. C. Escher

The Yuni frame ($40) will work, as will the Nimbus ($42) or KH ($lots).

But you might be better off buying an entire unicycle, and keeping your CX as-is for other kinds of riding. You really won't be able to fit a 3" tire on the stock CX rim, so by the time you've bought a new wheel, tire, and frame, you pretty much have a new unicycle anyway. The Nimbus 24" is just $209, or you could even get the splined-hub Torker DX for $259.

Comment

Well, the thing is, i can get a standard wide rim that will fit my unicycle for very cheap at the bike shop in town, however, since unicycling still isn't big in indiana, there aren't many places close that sell frames, the closest place to me is bloomington, which is a 2 hour round trip.....so the frame is the big problem, also i am in college so i am buying parts when i have money. Nonetheless, thank you for your reply it is helpful. I had already been looking at the Yuni frame, but you say the nimbus will work as well, but which nimbus frame? there are quite a few types
      Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible. I think it's in my basement ... let me go upstairs and check.
      - M. C. Escher

Comment

Originally posted by checkeredsockman
        since unicycling still isn't big in indiana....
        I just had to jump in to let you know Indiana is the home of The Unicycle Factory (Kokomo). You didn't mention where your college is, but if it's in the center part of the state (like Purdue), you're only 30 miles away.

With your low budget you probalby don't want anything custom, but just be advised that you may be pretty close to one of the most knowledgeable and experienced unicycle-building mind there is.

Caution: Tom Miller is a bit of an individualist, and may freak you out in person, or talk your ear off on the phone. But if you want to talk to someone who really knows unicycles, give him a call: 765-452-2692.

Whatever you do, don't mention Unicycle.com.

Otherwise, your easiet choice is probably to order that Yuni frame from Unicycle.com. No bike shop required.
        John Foss
        www.unicycling.com

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"

Comment

Working...
        X