People who talk to their dogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People who talk to their dogs

I've noticed this a few times in my life, most recently last week. As I was Cokering past a woman and and her dog, she leant over and pointed me out TO HER DOG. She said to the dog, "See that man on the unicycle?"

I don't own a dog, and tho I do speak to my cats, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be caught dead doing what that woman did. Are there a lot of dog owners who forget that their pooches' command of English is really limited? Or was this perhaps a modern Dr Doolittle or Mary Poppins?

What she did seemed so odd to me that I was speechless, unlike her dog. He turned to her and said, "Yeah, Linda. It's the unicycle guy. I see him all the time. So what? Now let me crap in peace so we can go home."
    Dictator for Life,
    NYUC

Check out my blog (or else):
    http://newyorkunicycle.blogspot.com/

I talk and sing to my dogs.

I'm not under any delusions that they understands the words, but they are reassured by the chatter. I'm a lot more comfortable using language than jibbering meaninglessly at them, and I think they recognise the patterns and rhythms of speech anyway. The beagle eagerly howls along with my singing and cello playing (yes, that says something about the quality of my musicianship).

The lady is probably bonded her dog and her natural impulse was to share her excitement about the uni. The Dog would pick up on her excitement by smell and a vocal exchange is a natural follow up to acknowlege mutual awareness.

INterspecies companionship is a very special thing that some creatures can do with no direct evolutionary benefit. Communication might always be an awkward point in such relationships, but is often possile on some level!
    Last edited by podzol; 2005-12-18, 01:59 PM.
    http://www.frogballsjuggling.com

Comment

I talk to my dog to.
      But I hate street dogs.
      Last week , a dog chaged me when I rode on my uni.
      He allmost bit in my ankle.
      BAD DOG
      Sponsored by www.municycle.com

Comment

I don't have a dog, but I talk to my cat all the time.
        Level 3 3/4

Comment

I don't own any pets, but if anyone wants to talk to their dog(s) that's fine by me.

/rant

As long as the owners clear up the dog S*** after!
          Every unicycle that I or my son have had gets that stuff on it on a regular basis. I'm fed up with it.

I'm not against dogs in any way. It is the selfish, ignorant and thoughtless ******* owners...etc

/end rant

Hooked
          "The banana is big, but its skin is even bigger." - George Orwell

Comment

dude i hate it when people talk to animals as if there a person. I mean a little chat like get down of the couch or sumthin is ok but ive seen people that go way to far also. They act as if there ther dog is a baby or a little kid.
            Musketman
            www.unicycle.com
            For Sale: Parachute, only used once, never opened, small stain

kissing isn't what keeps me up to my elbows in placenta all day long...

Comment

Some dogs show a surprisingly good understanding of language - certainly the language of tone and inflection, if not the actal words. Ruth's rottweiler bitch can carry out quite complex instructions ("Find your ball and take it to Michael.") I think the dog understands find, ball, and Michael and performs the actions in that order.

My dad has been very lonely since he lost his wife last year, and often talks to the dog for us to overhear. He won't say directly to us what he's thinking. Typical emotionally inarticulate midlands working man from his age group.

I don't suppose the lady believes for one moment that the dog understands the word unicycle, but she knows that the dog will understand the favourable tone in her voice and not be frightened or angered by the unfamiliar sight.

By a similar thought process, when I'm riding (especially in a full face helmet) I always talk to the dogs, so they can hear my tone of voice and identify me as human and not a threat. You can only get the right tone in your voice by saying the right words. "Hello, good dog, you're a good dog, aren't you" works so much better than, for example, "Avocado, banana, castanets empiricism."
              Last edited by Mikefule; 2005-12-18, 07:26 PM.
              My first novel, Bridge of Otherwhere, Michael Wilkinson, on Kindle. A tale of subtle magic, mystery, friendship and love. Tinyurl.com/Bridge-of-Otherwhere For US$ page: TinyURL.com/OtherwhereBridge

Comment

Originally posted by totally_hooked
                I don't own any pets, but if anyone wants to talk to their dog(s) that's fine by me.

/rant

As long as the owners clear up the dog S*** after!
                Every unicycle that I or my son have had gets that stuff on it on a regular basis. I'm fed up with it.

I'm not against dogs in any way. It is the selfish, ignorant and thoughtless ******* owners...etc

/end rant

Hooked
                I'm with you all the way. The fresh aroma of dog doo in my car on the way home is something always to be relished.

With regards to talking to pets, I think humans just like talking and it doesn't matter who or what to.

Cathy
                Cathy

Comment

i just walked my dog on the bc, it went ok, she got tired really fast, and it was hard to get her to go faster.

Comment

That sounds like crazy fun.
                    "I used to eat erasers in grade school...." James_Potter
                    come to my gallery.
                    I'm on my space now too

Comment

Originally posted by musketman
                      dude i hate it when people talk to animals as if there a person. I mean a little chat like get down of the couch or sumthin is ok but ive seen people that go way to far also. They act as if there ther dog is a baby or a little kid.
                      Hate sparingly.
                      Raphael never stopped being my hero.

Comment

The Berkowitzes who listen to their dogs are a bit freakier.
                        -Greg Harper

Nipples...do you ever have enough?

Change is good. Bills are better.

Comment

if catboy can converse with cats, isn't it possible that this lady can converse with her dog too?
                          Cheers, Matt.

Comment

Originally posted by cathwood
                            The fresh aroma of dog doo in my car on the way home is something always to be relished.
                            Being a fire-performer, I'm amazed that you can smell it over the smell of the paraffin.

Originally posted by Mikefule
                            "Avocado, banana, castanets empiricism."
                            The next time we need a slogan to go on a T-shirt...
                            Alternatively, if Mike ever gets to compile all his ride-reports into a book and needs a title...

Originally posted by digigal1
                            Hate sparingly.
                            Words to live by.
                            Three short Gs and a long E-flat™ - UniHoki
                            If I'm Murdered, Don't Execute My Killer.
                            harper
                            MikeFule Seager BluntRM
                            NAMASTE!
                            Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Mikefule
                              works so much better than, for example, "Avocado, banana, castanets empiricism."
                              Quite true. Dogs may like the foodstuff Spam, but certainly deserve something better than the verbal equivalent.

I happen to verbally abuse my cats all the time. But I do so in a tender voice. This allows me to work out my agressions against those who have slighted me, the creep who failed to follow the rules of the alternate merge for example, without upsetting my fine beasts. I will say something like, "Go to hell cat" in such a loving voice that they'll happily come over for a chin rub.

That's when I give 'em a good slap.
                              Last edited by JJuggle; 2005-12-19, 02:24 PM.
                              Raphael Lasar

To Plotz is Human
                              To Shvitz Divine

Comment

Working...
                              X