Hockey Tournament Manchester (UK) Saturday 10th December

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hockey Tournament Manchester (UK) Saturday 10th December

Seems as though this is turning into an annual event now.

The Denton Unicycle Club (DUC) will be holding their 3rd annual hockey tournament next month on Saturday 10th December.

This will be held at the same venue as before, namely:

Egerton Park Community Arts College
    Egerton Street
    Denton
    Manchester

The tournament is for everyone, whether you're just a beginner or seasoned pro! We'll be splitting everyone into scratch teams to balance the sides out as best as possible. Nobody will be left out - if you turn up then you'll be put into a team.

This will all take place between 12 noon and 6pm. The cost is going to be £7 for adults and £5 for students and the under 16's.

The hall itself is large, perfectly suited for hockey and has been recently renovated with a new floor laid (plastic pedals only). For the ones that would like to shower afterwards, then both the mens and womens changing rooms have been completely renovated and recently re-opened (very new and modern looking they are too).

Incidentally, there will be free tea, coffee and soft drinks throughout the afternoon.

Depending on numbers, we'll possibly swap and change the sides around.

Note for the Emu's: Try to resist bringing your Coker's!!

I'll post directions and anything else I can think of nearer the time. Looking forward to seeing the usual crowd and of course new faces. Last years tournament was a huge success. So, for the ones that have never been to one before, or just can't afford the airfare to Germany for the international tournament, then make sure you get to Manchester on the 10th Dec.

Steve & Bald Stu
    Once is NEVER enough!

To Everest and Beyond - 1100km (680 miles) across the Roof of the World from Tibet to Nepal

Absolutely fantastic news - I would imagine that a large flock of EMU's will be attending - roll on the 10th - see you then

Roland

Comment

I've circulated info about this event among the players in South Africa. It is most unlikely that we'll be able to pop over for the afternoon.
      I just like going thru the motions anyway.
      Three short Gs and a long E-flat™ - UniHoki
      If I'm Murdered, Don't Execute My Killer.
      harper
      MikeFule Seager BluntRM
      NAMASTE!
      Dave

Comment

Well myself and gemma will try our best to get there
        Listen to what I mean not what I say

Comment

Great news but I do have something tentatively booked on that day…I’ll see what I can do

Comment

woo-hoo,

it was a right laugh last year, and i'm sure i'm free to make it this year...

cheers guys

Comment

Are you sure that it's ok for beginners to come?

I've never paid uni hockey before but it sounds great fun. I'd love to come.

Cathy
              Last edited by cathwood; 2005-11-02, 07:41 PM.
              Cathy

Comment

Originally posted by cathwood
                Are you sure that it's ok for beginners to come?
                It would definitely be inappropriate for beginners to come-they might catch up with the rest of us
                In reality,I would suspect that nearly every single unicycle hockey player is gratefull for having more experienced people who were willing to play with them when they we're starting out, I know I am/was - so definitely come along as its a fantastic sport and the Manchester venue is a really good place. As its a tournament of scratch teams all the players will be mixed up so there will be a huge range of skills on the pitch which means that everyone will be able to play their part.
                The other great thing about hockey is that it improves your unicycling a huge amount as it allows you to ride around and not worry about the unicycle but instead playing the game which tends to mean that you relax and ride better - in fact I can't recommend unicycle hockey highly enough.
                So you don't even need to ask the question whether you should come it'll be a fantastic day with a bunch of supportive like minded individuals.
                See you there
                Roland

Comment

OK!!
                  See you there then

Cathy
                  Cathy

Comment

Cathy,

You're more than welcome to come along. We have plenty of spare hockey sticks so that's not a problem and I'm sure you won't be the only beginner there. As well as you making up the numbers on one of the teams, we'll be having a game just for the beginners and younger ones during the afternoon. There will also be lots of people around only too keen to offer advice and tips on playing hockey. The rules are very straight forward and you'll soon pick them up.

Here's a link to the rules of the game:

http://www.unicycle.uk.com/FAQ.asp?i...FAQParentID=34

Looking forward to seeing you there.

Steve
                    Once is NEVER enough!

To Everest and Beyond - 1100km (680 miles) across the Roof of the World from Tibet to Nepal

Comment

Just in case you missed this post the first time round!

I'd hate anyone to miss out on such a superb hockey tournament.

Steve
                      Once is NEVER enough!

Comment

Directions

For all those that can make it to the hockey tournament, here are the directions to the DUC. So far we've had a very good respose.

The Denton Unicycle Cub, Egerton Park Community Arts College, Egerton Street, Denton, Manchester.

Directions as follows:

From junction 24 on the M60, follow the sign for Denton A57 to the second set of lights (sign posted Audenshaw, Arrow Trading Estate) where you turn left. Road bends to left, then right. Take the first right into Egerton St. We're 200m on the right, just after the college main building.

Alternatively, join the M67 at junction 24, turn left at the first exit (junction 1A) and Egerton St is the 3rd turning on the left.

Note: please ensure that you use plastic pedals and NOT metal ones.

See you all there.

Steve
                        Once is NEVER enough!

Comment

Hey Steve,
                          d'you know the post code?

Thanks,

Cathy
                          Cathy

Comment

Post code

Hi Cathy,

Post code as follows:

M34 3PB

Looking forward to seeing you there.

Steve
                            Once is NEVER enough!

Comment

Thank you.
                              Sat nav programmed accordingly.

Cathy
                              Cathy

Comment

Working...
                              X