No announcement yet.

Tire options on KH-29

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have used a BA 2.35 and a marathon supreme. Today I rode in on the BA, which I find is growing on me. I pumped it up to about 40 psi ( I am 175 lb) and it gives a nice ride on the street and on bumpy sidewalks. It is a big volume tire and provides a nice cushion even at this psi.

I have a marathon supreme on a different unicycle and like it for purely street riding. I run it hard and it does not give much cushion. It corners well and is lighter and more nimble than the BA, but you feel every bump.

Scott

Comment

BA 2.35 for KH 29"

Hi, I have a BA 2.35 on my KH 29, and it fits great, and has no issues at all. Ordered it from Unicycle.com (the tire) Got the KH 29er on eBay, in mint condition, but couldnt tell you what year it is. I run the tire at 50 PSI and ride street. No problems, in fact, I ordered two more for my Redline Monocog 29'er as well, which is my daily city bike.

Comment

more info..

Originally posted by DavidHood View Post
        you need to specify which rim you are going to get. The Freeride rim is 47mm wide and the XC rim is 38mm wide. If you are planning on using a thinner slick tire and riding primarily on the road, then you might want to consider the XC rim (KHU calls it the "road" rim) with which I have no experience. The Freeride rim (KHU calls it the "Mountain" rim) is what I have and it is awesome on and off road.
        I just looked at the above quote, and I believe I have the XC rim, as it has no lightening holes, and still, I have the BA 2.35 mounted to it. With no issues. I suppose that is because nobody told me I cant, so I just did.... and it worked. Worked really well, actually !!

Comment

I have a Marathon Supreme on my Nimbus road uni. It is light, efficient and you feel everything. I don't really love it, I love the SB8 on my KH - just ordered a new one. I'm not into road and distance that much, the tire is all it is meant to be.
          Last edited by deadbeatpope; 2012-09-15, 02:52 AM.
          ----------------------------------------------

Art is a misspelled rat.
          "The unicyclist is the purest form of rebel"

Comment

Did some one ride the Maxxis Ikon 29x2.2 on a XC 38mm rim ?
            http://www.cdk.fr/equilibre/monos_pi...icle13187.html
            Last edited by bouin-bouin; 2012-09-15, 01:00 PM.
            http://monocycle.info
            http://www.leblogdumonocycle.fr/
            CITY XTP 26", MUNI KH26" & KH29", ROAD Oracle 32" and KH36"
            my goal : a 3 geared 29" to have only one uni for all kind of rides :-)

Comment

Originally posted by bouin-bouin View Post
              Did some one ride the Maxxis Ikon 29x2.2 on a XC 38mm rim ?
              http://www.cdk.fr/equilibre/monos_pi...icle13187.html
              First I've seen that one. I'd try it, looks great.
              ----------------------------------------------

Art is a misspelled rat.
              "The unicyclist is the purest form of rebel"

Comment

Originally posted by DavidHood View Post
                He has most likely changed tires again since this thread was started back in 2005. I nonetheless commend kahunacohen for resurrecting an (admittedly relevant) old thread instead instead of starting a new one.
                Thanks David, normally I look at dates but I totally disregarded this one.
                My Facebook Page

My Twitter Page

I plan on riding unicycles till I break a hip and then I'll ride a little longer.

Comment

Got the BA 2.0 for my kh29. So far I love it. I am running it at 45 psi. I am 150lbs. Nice and fast and efficient but also has cushion. No problems with road crown highly recommended.
                  KH20 Street, 110/127 Moments with rollos
                  Stock KH27.5 with Black Street Saddle
                  Oracle 36/Oregon Hub, 127/150 spirit

Comment

I have a KH29XC from 2006 (the rim is 38mm wide and there isn't that much clearance in the frame).

I switched from the original Kenda Klaw XT 29x2.1 that was a nightmare on the road to a WTC Exiwolf 29x2.3 that has more volume and a lighter tread + tender gum. The volume gain is nice and it fits under the frame without any modification.

And it feels on the road as if you has a slick tire but with benefits (a bit more tread when you cross a grass/ground section ).

Let me know if you want pics.
                    => CrMo 29: KH XC rim, Nimbus CrMo hub, Spirit 110/137 & Schwalbe Big One
                    => Flansberrium 26: Nextie rim, JumboJim 4.0, Spirit 127/150mm, M4O ISIS

Comment

Low Pressure on the KH 47mm rim

I've blown too many tubes to mention running the marathong supreme and the BA 2.35 on a KH 47mm rim (the frame is Triton and there is no problem at all with clearance for the BA 2.35).

Just be mindful that the 47mm rim is wider than most bike tires. The road tires tend to have a hard time staying on the rim. The result is the bead leaves the rim and the tube blows up.

I've had it happen:
                      1. While riding
                      2. While watching TV (we thought we were having a home invasion, as the uni was in the office in the front of the house)
                      3. Right in front of my eyes. I just blew up the tire and was just sitting there contemplating how beautiful the uni looked. It happend in a split second but I swear I saw the tire leave the rim before it blew.

Blowing the tube is very loud... and a pain in the butt.

Right now my marathon supreme is at 40# which seems to be ok. The last time I blew it at 60#; it is rated for 70#.... it it was under NO LOAD.

IMO, if you're going to put a road slick on a 29er, go for the 38mm rim. Then you don't need to worry about using a pressure that blows the bead off the rim.

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on either a Maxxis Ardent 2.4 or a Hans Dampf but they would be for off road.

I really like the soft ride of the BA 2.35, but I did struggle with road camber. I thought it was just my riding skills, but the marathon supreme did seem to fix that problem.

There's another excellent thread started by NurseBen called the "offical 29er tire thread", or something of that ilk. It is long and covers a ton of tires, but is worth a review for anyone with a 29er.
                      To rest is to rust... Unicycling is my anti-oxidant.

Comment

Originally posted by Biped View Post
                        I've blown too many tubes to mention running the marathong supreme and the BA 2.35 on a KH 47mm rim (the frame is Triton and there is no problem at all with clearance for the BA 2.35).
                        OK I loved the BA 2.0, but tonight I had it blow off the rim. I have a KH29 with standard muni rims. It does seem too narrow of a tire for the rim. Should I have gotten the 2.35?, would that have made much of a difference? It appears not, because you have had them blow on 47mm rims. Weird that UDC recommends this tire and that others have not had this problem.

Are there other options for a slick tire that are more suited for the rim?

Or should I just get a damn 36 inch uni and be done with it? I do like the idea of using the KH29 for muni and commuting because I might want to bring it on a bus etc, and the 36 is a bit big. The other option is getting an Oracle wheel build for commuting. I think the rim is thinner and it would make it less of a pain to switch setups. I absolutely hate riding knobbies on the road.
                        Last edited by kahunacohen; 2012-11-18, 03:02 AM.

Comment

The KH drilled 47mm rim is about 1.85 inches wide, so theoretically, a 2" wide tire should fit and not blow off, *if* it has a decent bead. Some folding bead tires have very little bead, like the Vee rubber 2.1 which would not stay on my rim because the bead was almost non-existent!

That's when I decided to have a whole new wheelbuild using a velocity Dyad rim (24mm wide) so I could run a much narrower (45mm) tire and also shave off substantial rotational weight. But you should always run a tire that is wider than the rim by a decent margin.
                          Happy Birthday Terry! Every year you get cooler, younger and unicyclier!
                          Be our muniprohpet for many years more.
                          -Dani Buron

Website
                          Videos
                          Facebook

Comment

Uggh. Now I'm wondering if I am not just better off with a 36 for my 7 mile each way commute and rides with my family on the bike trail.

But then again the 36 is quite a bit harder to transport. Should I give up on the idea of a slick on my KH29? It seems others have done it just fine, or are they all running the narrower rim?

Would an Oracle wheel build be better for this tire? It's pain changing tires and crank holes everytime I want to switch between muni and road anyway.

Comment

Uggh. Now I'm wondering if I am not just better off with a 36 for my 7 mile each way commute and rides with my family on the bike trail.

But then again the 36 is quite a bit harder to transport. Should I give up on the idea of a slick on my KH29? It seems others have done it just fine, or are they all running the narrower rim?

Would an Oracle wheel build be better for this tire? It's pain changing tires and crank holes everytime I want to switch between muni and road anyway.
                              Seven miles is a log way on a little wheel, so...

You could build a second wheel with a narrower rim, then keep the slick and short cranks on that wheel, then the original wheel would be for trails

You could get a fatter road treaded tire, like you see on recreational bikes, uprights, etc...

You could build a 29" guni, but that's a lot of cashola!

Or you could get a 36er

I have ridden my 36er a lot since I got back from Moab, more than half of the time I'm on the big wheel, even at night, and it's all single track. I "heart" my 36er

My 29er is reserved for tech mini or for going on long rides with lots of steep ups and downs, otherwise for cruising I take the big wheel. For going out with the family while they ride bikes, for sure, 36er all the way, otherwise I really have to spin fast to keep up.
                              I dream of hamsters and elderberries

Comment

So what slick tire would fit on the rim, and does anyone live near silver spring MD who can let me try their 36? I am 5'8".
                                Last edited by kahunacohen; 2012-11-18, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X