Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hopping practice today, good news!!!

I decided to work on my hopping today.
    I set up a stack of bricks and wood pieces on a curb, to make my obstacles.
    I first did rolling hops, and manged about 13". I've never measured my rolling so that's pretty good.
    By the way, i'm doing all this on a 24" KH '05 Muni.

I then decide to work on my sidehops. I thought my max before was about 12".
    I worked up to 14.5 inches but landed on the stacked wood/bricks. It toppled and i fell, but just onto grass.
    I managed to eventually get clean over the stack of 14" seat in.

I then moved on to seat out. I've never really tried it over anything but a curb, which seemed hard. I tried on the street, thinking i got maybe 8".
    Today i just kept workign at it, and got up to the 14.5 mark, same as seat in, and was ecstatic!
    I cleared over the 14.5 and kept adding stuff
    I got to 16 and a bit inches (over 40 cm, woohoo!!!!) and cleared it! my tire easily made it both times, but my heel clipped it as i came down :-(
    keep in mind i'm clearing about 8-10 inches sideways plus the height.

anyways, i think i could hop onto a 17" ledge, maybe i'll try the 18" one soon at the neighbors' house!!!!!!

just wanted to share my progress, i NEVER thought i'd ever get seat-out higher than seat in w/o months and months of practicing just seat-out, i practiced for a couple hours and got it!

maybe in a couple more months i'll be hopping 2 feet!!!!!

Re: Hopping practice today, good news!!!

Originally posted by ColDawG

just wanted to share my progress, i NEVER thought i'd ever get seat-out higher than seat in w/o months and months of practicing just seat-out, i practiced for a couple hours and got it!

maybe in a couple more months i'll be hopping 2 feet!!!!!
    That is GREAT progress. That's been me - practicing months and months on seat out. Can only go 10".

Nice work -

It's great when it clicks!

Cheers.
    Rod
    scottw818.wixsite.com/vintage-rod-and-reel

Comment

Awesome!
      Well I'll get back to you when I get that high

I though generally for most really good trials/street riders you can get higher with seat-out cos you can crouch down more and pull the unicycle up when u jump, you know what I mean?

Well done, good discovery hey! Pays to measure things!
      When I first went down a stair I measured the drop lol and compared it with another stair to get better.
      ~Em
      Pink Uni

Comment

Keep at it! I practiced for 2 days before I got about 15 inches, then all of a sudden, it clicked, and I could jump 2 feet! Now Occasionally, when I'm in the right state of mind, I can jump 2' 5", and can do over 3' 2" with a pedal grab.
        "There is power in your wall sockets, too, but I don't recommend that you plug yourself in to learn a 540 unispin." - Harper

Comment

why are they called peadle 'grab' arnt they more a stall...

Comment

The only thing I've ridden in the past three months is my Coker... so getting back on my trials last night was quite a switch. I could bearly ride it at first!

Sticking big (by big I mean a personal record) sidehops is a great feeling.. last night I was sticking roughly two foot sidehops... I can't wait to see what a few week's practice brings.

Dave
            "You build a wood contraception that slides over it and has a removable pin at the top to keep it in place" - carsonpalooza

"o yeah how do i change that thing under my name that says i dont know how to change this?" - habbywall

Comment

nice essay colin
              u probly could have shortened it to:
              i practiced seat out
              i never could do it very high
              after some hours of work i got to about 17.5 inches
              its fun
              dude, unicycling is awesome

Comment

wow! good job! Its funny, when I learn to hop i was obsested with how high i could hop. So i would gest put a pipe thow the holes in a crate.
                (The holes were like that only on all 4 sides) so in like a day I could hop on top of it ( 11 inches), then I gest forgot about hoping hight for a week. Then I learnd to hop up a 15 inch recycling ben in the grass( i was in the grass allso) I could do that like every time, now i cand do that every time but its beenlike 1 mont or 2 sence i worked on hoping so tomarow I am going to do what you did, work on hoping!

PS Any tips on rolling hops? I suck at them both distance and hight witch blows even more sence i ride street.

edit and the picture.
                Last edited by redhead; 2005-09-17, 11:53 PM.
                "Watch me do that agein!" Shaun E. Johanneson

-Party hard unicycle harder

Comment

I'm still having trouble of only getting up about 5 inches...I feel as if im working to hard to pull the unicycle up with me...is there any other way to make it easier?

Comment

me... the last i checked i can sidehop seat in with excessive prehopping over a pepsi bottle, which is about 8"... i'm not sure. i have to check tomorrow and do some practice in my garage/in town. SIF, i'm not sure...
                    and i gotta practice my gapping.
                    Last edited by abbabibble; 2005-12-04, 04:37 AM.
                    Cheers, Matt.

Comment

Re: Hopping practice today, good news!!!

On Sat, 3 Dec 2005 22:26:06 -0600, unicycle2280 wrote:

>I'm still having trouble of only getting up about 5 inches...I feel as
                      >if im working to hard to pull the unicycle up with me...is there any
                      >other way to make it easier?

Don't just pull up but also bend your legs (tuck). That way, the
                      unicycle has somewhere to go.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
                      --
                      "erectile function trumps public image - David Stone, commenting on the importance of seat comfort"

Comment

Working...
                      X