No announcement yet.

Quote of the day (from non-riders)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most random quote we've received: "That's how we beat Trump...one unicycle at a time"

Comment

• A genuine first today. I was out on the KH36 which I ride with a short T bar handle. I was wearing Lycra cycle shorts, a typical cycle shirt and helmet.

3 cyclists went past and one shouted, "You're not wearing your tweeds today?"

About 40 minutes and a few miles later, the mystery was solved: I met a very English-looking chap in tweed plus fours and waistcoat who was pushing a penny farthing up the hill towards me.

I didn't stop, but I slowed down enough to exchange pleasantries. It was a very convincing modern reproduction penny farthing which he'd had made by a friend in Australia. He expressed an interest in the KH36 and I directed him to unicycle.com.
      My first novel, Bridge of Otherwhere, Michael Wilkinson, on Kindle. A tale of subtle magic, mystery, friendship and love. Tinyurl.com/Bridge-of-Otherwhere For US$ page: TinyURL.com/OtherwhereBridge

Comment

• Where I normally ride in the forest there is one road straight through the forest of 10km. On the other side are also many side ways, but knowing I have to cycle all the way back, I never chance a ride there, so this weekend I drove my car over to the other side to do some touring in that part of the forest. It was a very nice area and I noticed a long bicycle path along the river. The next day I took my wife and daughter there and bikes on the back of my car to ride there, me on unicycle of course. Along the way there were some youngsters who wanted to play football or something and as I rode past, one of them started clapping. Normally the younger peeps throw negative remarks, so this was a pleasant surprise.

Comment

• A glorious day on Sunday, with tons of people getting out and (mostly) keeping respectable space around them. Lots of comments but these stood out:

- A guy, riding with a woman and one other person: "HOLY SHI--- wow."
          - From a cyclist going the opposite way (I think to his companion) "Two is hard enough!"
          - Haven't heard this one in years: "Good luck!" I don't find that inappropriate when trying to go fast on a 36" Schlumpf and avoid catching 'Rona...
          - From a mountain biker, on a dirt trail the day before: "You're making us all look bad." I replied "Don't feel bad, you're waaay faster than me on the downhills!"
          John Foss
          www.unicycling.com

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"

Comment

• As I was riding today, I saw up ahead of me a girl walking her dog. As I approached she told her dog to sit and clipped it onto a leash. As I passed them I said “thanks”. The girl indicated toward the dog and said “she‘s still in training”. I replied “me too”. Nice of her to clip in the pooch.

Comment

• A fun / pun one from last ride:

One girl to another, as I was passing in between them on their social distancing each-on-one-side-of-the-road walk:
              "Dat is vet!"

Which means: "that's cool" but literal translation is "that's fat"

My 3" tire is not that fat!
              My belly on the other hand...

Comment

• today i was out on my hatchet and just heading back to my car when i saw a couple of guys and one had one of the wheels on a stick for measuring distances.

the single wheel was really small and i just couldnt help myself so i said " o bless you have a little one" luckily he did see the funny side and said " mines sure not as big as yours"

Comment

• Yesterday morning when riding the 36", some old guy passed me saying "Dat is een vermoeiende bezigheid" ( That is an exhausting way to spend you time) I just told him that at least it was fun. he possibly doesn't know much about unis. Ok riding a bike is easier as you can just roll without pedalling, but I was on a 36", which is much less tiring than riding a 20". Then a bit later some road riders cycled passed and they said "Houd de moed erin" (which means something like "don't give up"). I don't think I looked so exhausted though. Rode about 18km in total yesterday, partly on the 36" and also on the 29".

Comment

• Yesterday two bicyclists crossed in front of me on a pikepath. One of them shouted "You've lost a wheel!", and then crashed right in front of me. So I replied "Hey, you nearly lost yours!". That would have been perfect - if his wheel actually fell off. :-))
                    UniMyra's YouTube channel

Comment

• So I'm now venturing out onto the roads in the village, and running into neighbours (at a safe social distance). In a few weeks I will stop being a novelty and just be a normal part of village life. I get a lot of "you should learn to juggle while riding". (Stock response: "I can't even juggle on dry land"). I've heard of two other unicyclists in the village, though I haven't had chance to compare notes with them due to lockdown.

Amazingly, I was riding down our lane when I met a third neighbour coming the other way, carrying a 20" unicycle. He's taken it up as a lockdown project, still holding on to the wall for support. That's 4 unicyclists out of 800 inhabitants!
                      20" Nimbus (Black, White Tire)
                      26" Nimbus Muni (Duro Wildlife Leopard | Schwalbe Crazy Bob 2.35")

Comment

• Yesterday, on the bike path. Parks are officially open again; people still minding their spacing, which is great, and there are cars in the parking lots! It looked mostly normal out there. :-) Guy coming the other way said "That's one way... " He didn't finish, but it sounded like half a sentence. One way to skin a cat? One way to get from A to B? Whatever.

Originally posted by Quax1974 View Post
                        "Dat is vet!" Which means: "that's cool" but literal translation is "that's fat"
                        In American English the expression "That's fat" is also equivalent to "that's cool", though now it's a bit outdated.

Originally posted by Richard C
                        Stock response: "I can't even juggle on dry land"
                        Juggling is MUCH easier than learning to ride a unicycle. I can usually get people to that crucial third catch in 15 minutes or less. And it's cross-training; lots of bending over to pick up what you dropped.

John Foss
                        www.unicycling.com

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"

Comment

• Originally posted by johnfoss View Post
                          Juggling is MUCH easier than learning to ride a unicycle. I can usually get people to that crucial third catch in 15 minutes or less.
                          It took me two months to learn to ride and I have been trying to juggle since the lockdown started (so not 15 minutes!) and still failing ... (may be age is important when learning)
                          One Wheel : bear necessity
                          (Abuello RodoMancat)

Comment

• Never heard this one before, Older women riding up track parallel to the one I was riding down popped out from behind bushes and exclaimed "Are your thinking what I'm thinking" as they looked across at me.
                            Unicyclists control pedals

Comment

• "Look, he must have a great trauma surgeon"- one elderly lady to her friend, as I was just riding the gravel road to the trails.. I decided to stay polite, and (truthfully) said: "I have not needed one yet".
                              In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by finnspin View Post
                                "Look, he must have a great trauma surgeon"- one elderly lady to her friend, as I was just riding the gravel road to the trails.. I decided to stay polite, and (truthfully) said: "I have not needed one yet".
                                You should put it on the Today (I Brag) thread :P I only wish I had your control.

Comment

Working...
                                X