No announcement yet.

Quote of the day (from non-riders)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• riding the other day, car passes me, stops in middle of road and backs up then starts pacing me so I look over the driver yells out hey is that like riding a bike or is it harder, I just looked at him and said well it's not like riding a bike
    he says oh OK and takes off
    24" Torker LX
    29" UDC Trainer
    32" UDC trainer

Comment

• How random was that!

Comment

• Originally posted by MrImpossible View Post
        Lots of the old Schwinn ads I've seen call a unicycle a "one wheel bike", and (round the world tourer) Ed Pratt called his a "bike". I'm OK with it.
        I was just watching George Peck's video, and though he mostly calls it a "cycle" he calls his unicycle a "bike" a few times...

Comment

• Originally posted by aj1500 View Post
          riding the other day, car passes me, stops in middle of road and backs up then starts pacing me so I look over the driver yells out hey is that like riding a bike or is it harder, I just looked at him and said well it's not like riding a bike
          he says oh OK and takes off
          Should have told him "yeah, you should go buy one!"
          Chief

Comment

• Originally posted by aj1500 View Post
            ...the driver yells out hey is that like riding a bike or is it harder...
            It's not an uncommon comment I get: "Hey, is that hard?", or the even less-thoughtful "How hard is that?" There is temptation to tell them "No harder than riding a bike" and let them be utterly disappointed if they ever find out for themselves. But I don't, because I try to be a good advocate. When people ask how hard it is, sometimes I refer them to the pavement I'm (usually) riding on. You know, that hard...
            Originally posted by MrImpossible View Post
            I was just watching George Peck's video, and though he mostly calls it a "cycle" he calls his unicycle a "bike" a few times...
            If the Grandfather of Muni (or father of Rough Terrain Unicycling) wants to call it a bike, then it's okay with me. Last I heard, that's what he was most into; Trials bikes.
            John Foss
            www.unicycling.com

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"

Comment

• Conversation at the special baggage counter at the airport, after I present a large bag.

Them: What is in here, a child's stroller?
              Me: No, it's a unicycle.
              Them: Does it have a battery?
              Me: No, it's just unicycle.
              Them: Like a circus!?
              Me: Umm… yeah… OK… yes, like a circus

Easier just to agree, so they understand what it is then argue over the fact that they are not just used circus performers. Though i must admit that immediately afterwards, I thought that i should have told them I was on my way to attend a clown convention.

P.S. I suspect that they had one of those self balancing, electric 'unicycles' in mind, and hence the concern about large batteries.
              Last edited by ruari; 2020-02-12, 10:58 AM.

Comment

• somewhere there is a post suggesting registering unis as "circus device" rather than "bike" ... That is supposed to reduce the cost and the limits
                One Wheel : bear necessity
                (Abuello RodoMancat)

Comment

• Yesterday when riding my Hatchet, I got "Respect" and "Well done". I seems that when riding a hatchet or 32" inch uni, people have nice remarks than when riding smaller wheel sizes. Smaller unis remind them more of the circus I guess.

Comment

• Originally posted by ICEdaddy View Post
                    Cyclist: "For a moment I thought you were that Ed guy on YouTube. You know him?"

Me: "Yeah." Then pausing tho think, "I wish I had that sort of time"

Amazing that bicyclist know about Ed.
                    I got asked the other day if I was riding it across the country. Took me a moment to realize that was probably why they were asking.
                    Originally posted by MrImpossible View Post
                    I commented on this one before, but I'm reminded that lots of people call them "bikes" until other unicyclists "shame" them into using a more specific term. Bike is just easier to say. George learned to ride in Alaska, made his video in 1991, and didn't go to a unicycle convention (that I'm aware of) until 1994. Full disclosure: He was a member of the Unicycling Society of America and sent me (the Newsletter Editor) photos of him riding in 1987 or earlier...
                    Originally posted by ruari View Post
                    Me: No, it's a unicycle.
                    Them: Does it have a battery?
                    Me: No, it's just unicycle.
                    Them: Like a circus!?
                    When people say 'circus', it means they got the general idea. Asking about batteries is a big thing these days for air travel. Not just for big batteries (Hoverboard) but little ones also (Samsung Note 7). Lots of liability associated with the potential for bad lithium batteries to start fires.
                    Originally posted by wobbling bear View Post
                    somewhere there is a post suggesting registering unis as "circus device" rather than "bike" ... That is supposed to reduce the cost and the limits
                    Some of that was me. I've described my contents as "support equipment for a balancing act". That's for a large bag with 2 or 3 unicycles in it, which could easily be misinterpreted as a bicycle that some airlines would charge an extra fee for. Note: Never lie to Customs or Immigration-type officials! They're not going to charge you a bike fee anyway. For best results, say something that's accurate but avoids the word "cycle". A unicycle is legitimately support equipment for a balancing act.
                    Originally posted by Setonix View Post
                    Yesterday when riding my Hatchet, I got "Respect" and "Well done". I seems that when riding a hatchet or 32" inch uni, people have nice remarks than when riding smaller wheel sizes.
                    This is true for me as well. Way less mention of "circus" if I'm on the 35", or if I'm on the Muni and we're far from civilization.

Today's best quotes (bike path ride on geared 36"):
                    1. From a little girl, maybe 4 years old, riding a plastic, 3-wheeled scooter: "Wooah, that's a really big wheel! Looks fun though." - No time to respond; I was already past them while she was saying this to the bigger girl with her.
                    2. (paraphrased) "A unicycle with handlebars! You should have a handlebar moustache!" - An absolute first for me. All I could think of was "Those are for wussies", which I used to say about brakes (before I had brakes). :P I didn't reply.

But then I have to think of usable responses for "next time", even if there never is one:
                    • "Sorry, just shaved it off!"
                    • "How about a unicycle moustache?" (might leave them wondering why they don't know what that is)
                    • Or my favorite: "It's a bloody unicycle, not a penny farthing!"
                    Last edited by johnfoss; 2020-02-23, 06:16 AM.
                    John Foss
                    www.unicycling.com

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"

Comment

• Originally posted by johnfoss View Post
                      "A unicycle with handlebars! You should have a handlebar moustache!" - An absolute first for me
                      this is mandatory! in France a rider created an event "mustache muni" (you should send a picture of you with a mustache to register... even if you are a girl!)
                      ... and I have had remarks about my own mustache being an essential part of my uni riding (I should modify my helmet to look like a bowler hat!)
                      Last edited by wobbling bear; 2020-02-23, 05:33 PM.
                      One Wheel : bear necessity
                      (Abuello RodoMancat)

Comment

• Originally posted by DigitalDave View Post
                        That's very similar to this old motorcyle saying ...

I still haven't figured out this one I got a few weeks ago ...

"Your a jam ... !"
                        https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...term=the%20jam

It just means something that is awesome. Has nothing to do with traffic jam or confiture/jelly. The latter you will be when you UPD and end up under a truck :P

Comment

• Last weekend when I was riding my 27.5 through some mud

A hiker: "that must be very hard"

to which I replied: "yes, especially with a cold"

Almost 4 weeks suffering from a cold and I just can't seem to get over it.
                          Not enough air to manage some of my "home" climbs

As there was an organised walk in our area I got a lot of spectators and some remarks but I can't seem to recall any apart from the one above.
                          Brain full of snot is not cooperating

Comment

• a great exchange with a Mountain Biker on the trail today. Not a single word spoken, but as he passed me in the other direction he simply held his hand to the side for a high five, which of course I reciprocated. The trails are usually deserted on a Friday night after work but it was busy out today for some reason and everyone else seemed pretty miserable despite the nice weather, so it was nice to have one friendly 'comment'

Comment

• American River Bicycle Trail, Sacramento: Today a 26+ mile ride on the flat part of this trail, which follows the American River (duh). A guy passing me waved, and said "Wow, that's as cool as sh*t!"
                              I'll gladly accept any type of cool.
                              John Foss
                              www.unicycling.com

Comment

• Originally posted by MuniEmu View Post
                                a great exchange with a Mountain Biker on the trail today. Not a single word spoken, but as he passed me in the other direction he simply held his hand to the side for a high five, which of course I reciprocated. The trails are usually deserted on a Friday night after work but it was busy out today for some reason and everyone else seemed pretty miserable despite the nice weather, so it was nice to have one friendly 'comment'
                                You have to be careful with high-fives. I had that too a few weeks ago and the guy kept his hand so stiff that when I fived back, I was thrown off balance and had UPD-ed. Not badly, just stepped off, but still. The guy was like "Oh I'm so sorry. Didn't mean to do that... etc."

Comment

Working...
                                X