Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quote of the day (from non-riders)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I got a "stay upright!" from a very nice older lady walking her dog.
    Chief

    Comment


    • Originally posted by BHChieftain View Post
      I got a "stay upright!" from a very nice older lady walking her dog.
      Chief
      Did you offer her the same encouragement in return?
      Unicycling is the fountain of youth.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
        So, she knew the word unicycle, but she used the word bicycle when talking to her dogs. As if their brains were too small to process unicycle.
        I think you are reading too much into this and looking for something negative when there isn't one. More likely she has said to her dogs hundreds of times,

        "It's okay, just a bicycle."

        But this is the first time she said ďunicycleĒ to them, so went with the known phrase to see if that helped them calm faster.

        Also I don't think a dog is likely to care about the semantic difference between a bicycle and a unicycle. It is enough that they have a basic idea of what is going on and not to worry, rather than needing to worry about the fine grained differences in two strongly related types of machinery.

        Comment


        • There are plenty of dogs which chase me when Iím on my unicycle but ignore me when Iím on my bike.
          Unicycling is the fountain of youth.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by lightbulbjim View Post
            There are plenty of dogs which chase me when Iím on my unicycle but ignore me when Iím on my bike.
            That is interesting. I know that Ed Pratt mentioned dogs being problematic on his trip but I figured it was just a more general issue with all cycles. There are no loose dogs where I am, so never had the issue, luckily for me I suppose.

            In any case I still think that telling a dog that a uni is "just a bike" seems reasonable, as that is likely all they have encountered.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by ruari View Post
              In any case I still think that telling a dog that a uni is "just a bike" seems reasonable, as that is likely all they have encountered.
              That will only be if the dog ever heard the word "bike" while running after it. It is an animal that doesn't speak English. Might as well tell it, that it is a "just a boat". That won't make a difference to the dog.

              I sometimes ride in the park where peeps often walk their dogs. Dogs are only a problem, when their owner starts calling them when they are on the other side of me. When dogs listen, then are more likely to run right in front of my wheel to their owners. Otherwise I will just let them run or bark and I ignore them. At least not look in their eyes.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by ruari View Post
                In any case I still think that telling a dog that a uni is "just a bike" seems reasonable, as that is likely all they have encountered.
                Fair enough; a dog will respond to a word it has heard many times, not a new one. You could also argue that the same is true for the little kid whose parent calls a unicycle a "bike". Seems reasonable, because the kid only has experience with bikes. So why do I have a problem?

                When Ed Pratt calls a unicycle a "bike", bless his heart, that does not make it a bike. I think he is just being polite and doesn't want to come across as arrogant or trying to correct others. I don't call my unicycle a "bike", but I don't correct others for calling it a bike, either.

                "Don't you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?" --George Orwell (1984)

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Setonix View Post
                  Dogs are only a problem, when their owner starts calling them when they are on the other side of me. When dogs listen, then are more likely to run right in front of my wheel to their owners.
                  Same with children.

                  Comment


                  • (I thought this was especially funny in light of the "bike" comments)

                    From a hiker coming up a rough downhill: "Wow, riding a unicycle is hard enough, let alone taking it four-wheeling!"

                    Comment


                    • Today my coworker asked me how my learning was going and if I learned how to juggle yet.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by lightbulbjim View Post
                        did you offer her the same encouragement in return?
                        lol!

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by bigevilgrape View Post
                          Today my coworker asked me how my learning was going and if I learned how to juggle yet.
                          The only adequate response is to start vocalizing on "Entry of the Gladiators".

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by MrImpossible View Post
                            (I thought this was especially funny in light of the "bike" comments)

                            From a hiker coming up a rough downhill: "Wow, riding a unicycle is hard enough, let alone taking it four-wheeling!"
                            I sometimes state as an advantage of a unicycle that it has all-wheel drive.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by lightbulbjim View Post
                              There are plenty of dogs which chase me when Iím on my unicycle but ignore me when Iím on my bike.
                              Originally posted by ruari View Post
                              That is interesting. I know that Ed Pratt mentioned dogs being problematic on his trip but I figured it was just a more general issue with all cycles.
                              It's normally the other way 'round for me. I find more dogs ignore me on a unicycle than on a bicycle (or even jogging). Some dogs seem properly confused with the uni; probably doesn't fit their 'programmed' recognition pattern. But then we are talking suburban country-park dogs rather than the snarling beasts that Ed and other round-the-world cyclists are facing.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
                                When Ed Pratt calls a unicycle a "bike", bless his heart, that does not make it a bike. I think he is just being polite and doesn't want to come across as arrogant or trying to correct others. I don't call my unicycle a "bike", but I don't correct others for calling it a bike, either.
                                Originally posted by Klaas Bil View Post
                                I sometimes state as an advantage of a unicycle that it has all-wheel drive.
                                I find it (nerdishly ) amusing that for once German is the more 'forgiving' language; any human-pedaled vehicle is called "Fahrrad" irrespective of the number of wheels. I could be precise and call it Ein-, Zwei-, Drei-, X-rad but the basic Fahrrad covers it all, unlike "bike". And "all-rad" covers the uni just as much as a 6-wheel-drive desert-going truck.
                                I find myself adjusting in English to the term "cycle" to describe my uni, bicycle or tricycle.

                                How is this in other languages, I wonder, is it just as easy to use an 'incorrect' term as in English?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X