Quote of the day (from non-riders)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by johnfoss View Post
    Hey, you're from Onalaska, where my grandparents grew up and my dad spent his summers as a kid! It was also our destination for many summer vacations in my youth, as well as a few Christmases (brrr!). In my early years of unicycling, I rode my 6' Giraffe up Grandad's Bluff on New Years Day, 1981. Minimal ice on the road that day...
    Crazy! I never expected to run into people who were familiar with Onalaska here, but you're the second. I actually have a close friend who lives in Onalaska with the same name as yours, but there's no relation I'm sure. What are the odds of that?

Comment

• You might want to check you back tire.

Comment

• Onalaska

Originally posted by BenSimons View Post
        Crazy! I never expected to run into people who were familiar with Onalaska here, but you're the second. I actually have a close friend who lives in Onalaska with the same name as yours, but there's no relation I'm sure. What are the odds of that?
        I believe that JimT (active member on here) lives near Onalaska.

Comment

• I was at the park yesterday afternoon and was back at the car switching uni's from the 24 to the 29, guy pulls up gets out of his truck with his dog looks at me and says, well it's good to see you lead such a balanced life needless to say I had to stop and chat with him for a few minutes before I headed out again
          24" Torker LX
          29" UDC Trainer
          32" UDC trainer

Comment

• Two mountain bikers passing me. When they thought they were out of hearing distance one biker said: „Maybe you can ask him for his unicycle and then ride it downhill, hahahaha!“
            Oldest kid in town - neighbour

Comment

• Two women out walking the dog observed my wobbly riding in the park.
              "Very impressive. But I am intrigued - how do you get off the thing?"
              I assured them that this was not usually one of my bigger problems.
              They also thought that I must be super-fit and we agreed that unicycling is probably better core exercise than pilates.
              Another interesting conversation typical of what I normally get in Glasgow; genuinely interested and encouraging comments. Miserable weather; nice people.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tinkerbeau View Post
                and we agreed that unicycling is probably better core exercise than pilates.
                A lot of non-riders say this, and I usually answer "Yeah, in the beginning it was." Once your riding gets a bit smoother, unicycling becomes less and less of a workout, unless you start practicing weird tricks.

Comment

• Today I had what someone here on the forum also had, though I don't remember who. I was riding in the forest and when I rode past some mushrooms red with white spots, I decided to take some pictures of them, but then 2 women were jogging towards me. As she saw my uni on the floor she asked "Are you ok?" and I said "sure of course" and then she looked a bit closer to the uni and was like "ahh" and jogged on again.

Comment

• This morning a mountain biker yelled out “Its official, Im not cool anymore!”
                    For the most part, if you want to be cool, you might want to avoid unicycles. But if you want to ride unicycles, you're into a different kind of cool. We are not sheep! (Foss, 2017, p. 93)

Comment

• Originally posted by WeaponizedBacon View Post
                      This morning a mountain biker yelled out “Its official, Im not cool anymore!”
                      Maybe he never was.
                      Oldest kid in town - neighbour

Comment

• had a bit of a strange one the other day, was riding along and came up on 2 ladies coming towards me, I was messing around and UPD'ed in front of them
                        I was in dirt so I slipped and fell. as they got close enough and I was standing up laughing one of them said it scares me to death to watch you ride that thing, it must be the mother in me
                        24" Torker LX
                        29" UDC Trainer
                        32" UDC trainer

Comment

• Originally posted by aj1500 View Post
                          had a bit of a strange one the other day, was riding along and came up on 2 ladies coming towards me, I was messing around and UPD'ed in front of them
                          I was in dirt so I slipped and fell. as they got close enough and I was standing up laughing one of them said it scares me to death to watch you ride that thing, it must be the mother in me
                          HAHAHA funny. That is always the nightmare of riding when there are other people around.
                          I had that happen near a mountainbike track and a group of them were gathering to go for a ride, but I wanted to go before them. Only 50 metres in I UPDed, so I bowed to them an walked out of view and tried again

Comment

• Originally posted by aj1500 View Post
                            had a bit of a strange one the other day, was riding along and came up on 2 ladies coming towards me, I was messing around and UPD'ed in front of them
                            I would respond with "You should let her out; that can't be healthy."

I got an odd one today on the bike path. From a passing Road biker: "Is that the one that coasts?"
                            Me: ??? Maybe I've talked to this guy before? All you roadies look alike. Uh, "That would be bad".
                            Bicyclist: "Is that because it would be hard to control?"
                            Me: "It would be like sitting on top of a watermelon seed, and not knowing which way it's going to shoot out."

Other comment, from a lady on a bike going the other direction: "Looks like you lost part of your bike, Eh?"
                            Me: (to myself: That's a different phrasing; surely opens things up for a wider variety of responses. Uh...) "Yeah, the bad part."
                            That wasn't very good at all. Upon more thought, I might say "Yeah, the training wheel and some extra weight."
                            John Foss
                            www.unicycling.com

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"

Comment

• Usually the best come-backs just take a bit too much time to out to passers-by about the missing wheel. Most of the time I just thank them or with a bit more time I say that my ex has the other wheel. Or when I'm annoyed by the cliché, I just ignore them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Setonix View Post
                                HAHAHA funny. That is always the nightmare of riding when there are other people around.
                                I had that happen near a mountainbike track and a group of them were gathering to go for a ride, but I wanted to go before them. Only 50 metres in I UPDed, so I bowed to them an walked out of view and tried again
                                Ain't that the truth. Reminds me of the time I was part of the group riding the San Francisco Unicycle Tour (2006). We're in Chinatown, waiting at a light, to cross an intersection that passes under a big, ornate Chinese gate, and then up a relatively steep hill. I wanted to get up ahead of the group to take a picture of everyone riding up past that gate, but I hit the hill with too much forward lean and ate it, big time. Credit to the photographer here, Nathan or Jess Riegel? You can see my wheel in mid-flight in front of Beau Hoover. I rolled over and broke my phone (a T-Mobile Sidekick!). A very public display of messing up...
                                Attached Files
                                John Foss
                                www.unicycling.com

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"

Comment

Working...
                                X