No announcement yet.

Quote of the day (from non-riders)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A lady with a dog, speaking on behalf of her dog, told me the dog didn't know quite what to make of the unicycle. I thought that was a cute comment, so I figured she was all right for conversation. I said some dogs freaked out when they saw the unicycle and complimented her dog for staying calm. Then the woman repeated, verbatim, what she said initially about her dog. So I smiled and went on my merry way. As I was riding off, I heard her say the same thing to another woman with a dog.

Fido wants to know what happened to your other wheel...

Comment

• while riding around the park trail yesterday I stopped a couple times, 1st time gentleman was sitting down resting and said I've never seen anyone use one of those for exercise before, then I stopped to get someone to take a couple pictures for me and was asked first is that a unicycle, then and this one surprised me, how do you get off of it
      24" Torker LX
      29" UDC Trainer
      32" UDC trainer

Comment

• Originally posted by aj1500 View Post
        "how do you get off of it?"
        LOL! I get that once in a while, and my standard answer is, "It's easy as falling off a log!"
        "I'm a unicyclist. I make my own reality."

Comment

• Originally posted by aj1500 View Post
          ...how do you get off of it
          Carefully.
          Unicycling makes things better

Comment

• Originally posted by unijohn View Post
            I get a bit of the impression that in this thread the negative reactions often prevail, while in my neighborhood I mainly get positive reactions.
            Apparently, people react more strongly to negative ideas than positive ones, something we're learning with social media. That's why many social sites can become sewers of negativity and shocking nonsense. Fortunately this site has rarely come close to that.

This thread was started as a place to capture interesting comments from random people who aren't unicyclists themselves, which basically means 99.9% of the people you'll ride by. One of my all time favorites, which helped to inspire this thread, was "What're you on??" From a lady on a horse, who couldn't see my friend and me behind the trees and rocks.

But there are great positive ones, like this one I remember from a random guy in Ann Arbor, Michigan in 1984: "Where there's a wheel there's a way."
            Originally posted by OneTrackMind View Post
            ...a guy walking the other way said, "At least you're not an alien spaceship".
            A funny reply to that could be "Yeeeeeearrrr - - BEEP! Bop-zeeowrrrrrr."
            Originally posted by wobbling bear View Post
            A lady on a bicycle: "Are you looking for your other wheel?"
            Ha, that lady was quick! Good one!
            Originally posted by Geolojas View Post
            I was out early Sunday AM, on a nearly deserted bike trail, and I overheard this snipped of conversation as I passed an oncoming group: "Nope, still bikeless".
            Many homeless people rely on their bikes, often cobbled together from miscellaneous parts, to get around. Not to assume those were homeless people, but I know there are a great many living along the river.
            Originally posted by aj1500 View Post
            ...this one surprised me, how do you get off of it
            Always seems silly to us, who had to "get off" a million times before we learned to stay on. But I've heard it many times, especially when riding a giraffe. This often happened in parades. Some people would phrase it in a way that makes it more ripe for a response: "How do you get down?" or "How do you get off?" I would sometimes say "I'm sorry, I can't discuss that in a family environment." But most often, since time is usually very short, I say "Gravity!" or "Stick around, you'll find out soon enough..."
            Last edited by johnfoss; 2019-08-02, 04:05 AM.
            John Foss
            www.unicycling.com

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"

Comment

• Heard on bicycle trail

This one hurt a little, because it is true, until I learn to ride better: "You are kind of dangerous to other people".

Comment

• I thought for a second there that you were mountain unicycling....wait a minute...you are!
                Last edited by thorofareken; 2019-08-03, 08:57 PM.

Comment

• Correcting the 'tone' of verbal greeting

The hiking trail in the park that I rode in, has humps (little hills) of 1 to 2 m high every now and then, with stairs next to them. A couple were sitting on the stairs, facing away from me as I silently approached on my muni.
                  I rode up the hump, and said "hello" in a fairly neutral voice, mostly to make myself known and not freak them out by 'suddenly' passing them at one metre distance.
                  The woman said "hello" in a similar neutral tone, this was still before I passed them.
                  Then she saw what I was on, and exclaimed "Oooh". Followed a few seconds later by "Bye!" (*), in a rather more enthousiastic tone than her first 'hello'.
                  I was getting too far away for a verbal response, and just stuck up a thumb. Upon which she shouted "Yeees!"

The man never said anything.

Comment

• Originally posted by Klaas Bil View Post
                    The man never said anything.
                    He was annoyed that you got her attention
                    Triton 36" + 29" | KH 29" | KH 26" | KH 27.5" Muni | Nimbus eSport Race 24" | Torker LX 24" | Qu-Ax Luxus 20" | Qu-Ax Profi 20" | KH / Impact 19" hybrid

Comment

• Originally posted by Uni trekker View Post
                      This one hurt a little, because it is true, until I learn to ride better: "You are kind of dangerous to other people".
                      Still it can be fun to have a response ready. Here are some options:
                      • You should've seen me last week!
                      • So far, no fatalities, and I've been riding almost five minutes!
                      • You should see me drive.
                      • Obviously you haven't seen me in a car...
                      Last edited by johnfoss; 2019-08-06, 03:19 AM.
                      John Foss
                      www.unicycling.com

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"

Comment

• I had a guy last week tell me i lost a wheel on the trail as i came into the gravel lot after riding and he was loading his bike up. I told him “nah, i just left my training wheel in the car” he didn't seem impressed by that response and i felt kinda bad about throwing that right back at him but didn't mean any harm by it haha
                        For the most part, if you want to be cool, you might want to avoid unicycles. But if you want to ride unicycles, you're into a different kind of cool. We are not sheep! (Foss, 2017, p. 93)

Comment

• Originally posted by WeaponizedBacon View Post
                          I told him “nah, i just left my training wheel in the car” he didn't seem impressed by that response
                          I suppose some people prefer to have the last word.

The other day I was in the park practicing wheel walking on uneven surfaces. I was UPDing a lot. A guy told me he learned to unicycle years ago. I responded by telling him I had my 5mm wrench in my pocket and could adjust the seat and let him try. Zero response. The guy finished walking his dog, and on his way out of the park, he told me to "keep it up." He added that I was doing all right, waited for me to say "thanks", then immediately corrected himself and said that I was actually not doing so great.

Situations like that remind me to smile and nod. Though I can't know for sure, my guess is that the guy was only attentive to what I was doing in terms of success and failure, not within the context of the technique (wheel walking) I was practicing. It was more clear to me that he was not interested in what I had to say and that he preferred to have the last word.

WB, get used to variations on WYOW. I suggest you laugh at the joke, pretending you haven't already heard it hundreds of times.

Comment

• Yeah, usually people who speak to you when they see you on a unicycle are not really interested in a conversation. They may ask how long it took to learn to ride or whatever, but they don't really want to know. There is one comeback that I learned from this thread which I always feel compelled to use, however:

Non-rider: "Doesn't that hurt your nuts?"
                            Me: "No, they're my shock absorbers!"

Comment

• Non-rider: "Doesn't that hurt your nuts?"
                              Me (breathing in helium): "Lost 'em years ago!"

Non-rider: "Where's your other wheel?"
                              Me: "It's not wheel, it's imaginawy."

Non-rider: "You're almost ready for the circus."
                              Me: "Clowns scare me."

Non-rider: "You don't see that every day."
                              Me (looking around): "What? Where?"

Non-rider: "Someone stole half of your bicycle!"
                              Me: "I got the good half!"

Comment

• Originally posted by song View Post
                                Yeah, usually people who speak to you when they see you on a unicycle are not really interested in a conversation.
                                Very true, I believe these comments are usually intended to demean the unicyclist, perhaps based out of jealously. There seems to be this need to have say something, but it can't be positive and in some way must also deride the efforts and skill of the unicyclist.

Perhaps this article has been posted before, but worth a read. A study of people's comments towards unicyclists. Not really scientific, but still amazingly accurate from my experience.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...2nqXmjwQd_edKw

In the final observation it states it's the older males who are the worst and for me this does suggest some mild aggression.

In males the response moved from curiosity in childhood, to physical and verbal aggression in older boys; this became more verbal as the boys matured into men and evolved into the concealed aggression of a repetitive humorous verbal put-down, which was lost with age. In contrast, the female response was praise and concern for safety. These findings suggest that humour develops from aggression in response to male hormones.

So what do I do with WYOW comments? The same as I would with any other bully, just ignore with no response or acknowledgement. At the most just smile and nod. No clever comebacks (even if I can think of one while being exhausted) as that is just engaging and reinforcing the aggression.

Of course there are situations where the comments are clearly not meant as a put down. So, from to time it's good to stop and have a chat in the name of unicycle promotion.

Comment

Working...
                                X