• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• While I was riding a passed a guy who asked "Did you invent that?"

It made me laugh

Comment

• Originally posted by deadbeatpope View Post
      It seems that manufacturers are using the term bike to refer to a chain or belt driven cycle.
      I think it's an example of when marketing "dumbs down" terminology to avoid turning off the customer. A bike with three wheels sounds much more worthy of its high price tag than anything called a tricycle or trike.

Originally posted by Munivision View Post
      I was riding road bikes with a dedicated biker. Half way through the ride, he says: "I can tell you are a unicyclist, you are always pedaling, you never freewheel".
      You could tell him it's just a fixie.

Originally posted by danomite33 View Post
      There is such a thing as a unicycle class? a local uni club sponsors/hosts the class?
      I don't know about that particular one, but such things exist. Sadly, they are quite rare.

Originally posted by UVcycle View Post
      "can you pop a wheelie?..."
      My stock answer to that one is that it is a wheelie. But that's kind of boring. Maybe next time I'll try to say something like "I've been popping a wheelie the whole time you've been watching. How is this not a wheelie?"
      John Foss
      www.unicycling.com

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"

Comment

• Originally posted by johnfoss View Post
        That's classic. At first I wondered how someone can live a long life and never see a unicycle. But perhaps living on a Caribbean island is pretty good insulation from a lot of "weird" stuff. It's not like unicycles are common sights on TV or anything...
        She was a Tourist from the US! As I was approaching I heard her talking to her grandkids about keeping out of the sun to avoid being sunburned, I can only assume that the sun had already got to her head and she meant to say something completely different but it came out wrong!

Comment

• Originally posted by UVcycle View Post
          Then one of them asked me:
          "can you pop a wheelie?..."
          Originally posted by johnfoss View Post
          My stock answer to that one is that it is a wheelie. But that's kind of boring. Maybe next time I'll try to say something like "I've been popping a wheelie the whole time you've been watching. How is this not a wheelie?"
          I had a compliment yesterday by a young man (20+) polishing his car by the roadside, followed by "now pop a wheelie". I replied "I've been doing a wheelie for 16 km now".

Comment

• I was cycling around with a group of others in London when a middle eastern woman asked if we could take a photo for her. She then went on to ask us if we rented our unicycles... ... ... what????

Comment

• Originally posted by CJCrates View Post
              ...She then went on to ask us if we rented our unicycles... ... ... what????
              Rented unicycles?

http://lisaanneauerbach.com/projects...cycleshop.html

UVcycle
              Just because you're breathing doesn't mean you're alive
              UVcycle's YouTube Channel

Comment

• Originally posted by UVcycle View Post
                Well, I've been put in my place... touché

Comment

• I'm learning. I have a fence, an apartment driveway shared by two buildings, and a small array of safety protection.

Today I heard "You need more balance", "you're going to kill yourself", and "I think you'll break the fence before you catch on to that"

I live by very encouraging folks... They're probably just sore that they have to go to work on Monday and I'm playing with a unicycle.
                  Diary of learning to ride the one-wheeled beast

Comment

• I just remembered something someone once yelled at me a while back:

I was riding in Richmond (UK) with a carton of juice in one hand (it was cheap and I was thirsty) and my phone in the other whilst intermittently one-footing when a person walking by stopped dead and yelled at me "Wow! The king of limbs!".

You don't know how much that means to a Radiohead fan like me
                    You know how people can do a "kick up" mount? Well I can do a "kick down" dismount. - Cloudz

Things are easy, apart from when they aren't

Comment

• "Are you just starting out learning to ride?"

I'd been riding really well on some nice technical downhill with lots of twists and drops, but of course these two ladies missed that part; they only saw me try to mount, stall out on a pinecone I didn't notice, and shoot the unicycle backwards half the distance to where they were standing...

Comment

• I recently dusted off my uni and did a local time trial in the "other" category. I was apparently their first unicycle, so the race organizer offered me a spot in their record books "if I finished the course." .

But, when I got there, the road riders were saying, "damn, you've got a geared hub, and hydraulic brakes! And on what, a 36 inch wheel? Doesn't look very aero!" They were the most informed non-(uni)-riders I've ever met!
                        Uni to work to eat to live to uni to work to...!

Comment

• Originally posted by johnfoss View Post
                          I think it's an example of when marketing "dumbs down" terminology to avoid turning off the customer.
                          Like selling "dried plums" in the supermarket.
                          ----------------------------------------------

Art is a misspelled rat.
                          "The unicyclist is the purest form of rebel"

Comment

• Originally posted by deadbeatpope View Post
                            Like selling "dried plums" in the supermarket.
                            Prunes are for old, constipated people.
                            But dried plums... cool daddy-o

Comment

• Was riding at my local outdoor mall and these two things happened to me:

Lil Boy: Mom! There's a guy on a unicycle!
                              Lil Girl: Where!?
                              Lil Boy: Behind you! Mom look!
                              Mom: There is no one on a unicycle at the mall!
                              Lil Girl: I see him, mom he's behind us!
                              Lil Boy: Mom turn around!
                              At this point I ride past them waving
                              Mom: What the He-
                              Lil Boy: See I told you!

And then later that day with a different Lil Boy:
                              Lil Boy: Mom there's a guy with a unicycle. I want one of those!
                              Mom: We need to get you shoes first, then we will see about the unicycle.

Comment

• While riding through Keyport, NJ today I passed a young hipster mom with her hiply attired 4 or 5 year old daughter who exclaimed - the mom that is - "Wow, I feel like I'm back in New York."

Which raises the question, of course, who among you regularly rode by this woman when she lived in the city?
                                Raphael Lasar

To Plotz is Human
                                To Shvitz Divine

Comment

Working...
                                X