cool (and not cool) comment yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cool (and not cool) comment yesterday

So I had hopped up onto this flower box thing, about 15 inches up, and was rolling hopping and dropping off it during passing period at school. These guys walk past and yell "Next stop...X Games!!" I couldn't tell if they were being sarcastic or serious, but hey, not a bad idea!

And you know what never ceases to amaze me? Despite wearing leg armor, wrist guards, riding a unicycle with a 2.5 inch knobby on it, and then going up and down stairs with it, I still get asked if I'm a clown. I mean, as if I'm wearing an orange afro wig and a foam nose. I also get "Wow, cool! You could start a party service! You know, dress up and juggle for little kids!! Ride you little unicycle." I'm thinking about changing my response from "No, I'm not a clown" to "*(sigh) Yes, you're right, I am a clown. Because obviously I'm juggling and I look just like one, despite the fact that I'm riding stairs and jumping loading docks."

Sheesh...

... dang stereotypes ....
    My will to live was stronger than my will to die. - Iggy Pop
    That which does not kill me, makes me stronger. - Friedrich Nietzsche 1899

If it's popular, then what's it got to do with us? - Mens room wall
    My Gallery

Comment

just think of something funny to say back. like if you think you could take them in a fight, say something about their mom. like "your mom didn't think i was a clown last night" and so on. or think of something along these lines. i met a guy in an airport once who was 7 feet tall. seriously. he was wearing a shirt that said " No i don't play basketball. are you a jocket?" all you or any of us, has to do is think of something like that. i bet you could sell a ton of shirts. Something like "no i'm not a clown. are you a XXXX?" i know i'd buy one.

Comment

I also like it when they ask you: What's your profession (because I can walk on my hands and do that for warmup before taekwondo class, where I go to with my unicycle)? And then you wait for a second and you see the expectation in the people's eyes, waiting for me to say: I'm an entertainer, and of course I help out in the circus. Do you want me to come to your kid's birthday party?

Doh. I'm not the clown. I'm still the skateboarder with a different kind of skateboard.
        http://www.wogri.com

Comment

Originally posted by markf
          just think of something funny to say back. like if you think you could take them in a fight, say something about their mom. like "your mom didn't think i was a clown last night" and so on.
          Doesn't work in other languages
          Mom jokes exist mainly in America, I think.

Comment

I went for a muni ride today with UniBrier and two other Seattle area unicyclists. A group of mountain bikers made some sort of clown comment while talking with us.

You just have to remember that to non-unicyclists the clown comments are original. Often the comment is not meant to be degrading. It's just the first thing that pops in to their mind when they see a unicycle. It's like a word association game. I say "unicycle". What's the first word that pops in your head? For most people the first word they'll think of is clown or circus.

Unless the clown comment is made in an obviously derogatory manner it doesn't bother me much.
            john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
            Team Never Wash Your Muni
            My Gallery :: Unicycling Bookmark List :: World Clock

Comment

Originally posted by wogri
              Doesn't work in other languages
              Mom jokes exist mainly in America, I think.
              fair enough. you could still make fun of their family/loved ones/something offensive like that which should piss them off. i've used this a few times and it has yet to fail in shutting up people asking stupid questions.

Comment

One of us seriously needs to make a shirt with like, a dead clown on it, and the words "No! I am not a clown!" on the back, so you can just turn you back on ther person to answer the question. Fashionable and functional...
                Rest in pieces.

Comment

when someone asks me if I'm a clown/in the circus, I just say:
                  "No, are you?"
                  that shuts 'em up.

Comment

Originally posted by Catboy
                    One of us seriously needs to make a shirt with like, a dead clown on it, and the words "No! I am not a clown!" on the back, so you can just turn you back on ther person to answer the question. Fashionable and functional...
                    You could get a shirt from ihateclowns.com. Maybe this shirt or this one.
                    john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
                    Team Never Wash Your Muni
                    My Gallery :: Unicycling Bookmark List :: World Clock

Comment

Originally posted by markf
                      fair enough. you could still make fun of their family/loved ones/something offensive like that which should piss them off.
                      That's something considered very rude in German, at least. I wouldn't do that.
                      But I like Mr. Potter's comment: No, are you?

Wogri, Austrian American

Comment

Something tells me that if I were to wear clown make up while riding the unicycle, THEN, I would hear comments like:
                        "I heard about this unicycle sport called MUni--you should check it out"
                        or:
                        "Hey, where's your coker?"
                        or:
                        "Have you ever heard of Kris Holm?"
                        or:
                        "Clowns like you give a bad image to unicycling, you know that?"
                        and so on...
                        EX-Unicyclist...because I did not wear elbow pads.

All I want out of life is to be able to ride the unicycle while smoking a cigar at the same time. Is that too much to ask for?
                        www.dogbowl.com / www.eyeballplanet.com

Comment

LOL, try it!

Or else they'd just change the word around from " are you a clown? to " you are a clown!"

Andrew
                          Now posting from my friends house, and not paying for it : )

Comment

When they ask if you're a clown say, "Why do you ask, are you afraid of clowns?".

Comment

I like Catboy's idea. A "No I'm not a clown!" would be better than "I hate clowns."

Oh yeah, the other request I get is "Do a backflip!" My response is "After you."

Comment

Working...
                              X