Has anyone ever tried riding a unicycling while playing some sort
    of instrument? A couple of times I have thought about either play
    my Sax, or my Bag-pipes on it, but thought I might crash and hurt
    the instrument. Has anyone tried it? Is it hard? Are there any
    major problems?

Chris Cline MUni-Cow

Re: Unicycling While playing an Instrument

[color={usenetquotecolor}]> On the Been There, Done That page[/color]
    [color={usenetquotecolor}]> (http://www.unicycling.org/unicycling/btdt/btdt.html) there are references to[/color]
    [color={usenetquotecolor}]> the following instruments known to have been played on a unicycle:[/color]
    [color={usenetquotecolor}]>[/color]
    [color={usenetquotecolor}]> Piano-Accordion Trombone Guitar Bagpipes Tuba Recorder[/color]
    [color={usenetquotecolor}]> More info is available on that page.[/color]
    [color={usenetquotecolor}]> I am always looking for more stories about more instruments.[/color]

It's not an instrument, but this is a chance to tell a story. This Sunday I was
    riding my 28" Semcycle on the Towpath trail, a multi-use trail between Akron and
    Cleveland along the old Ohio Canal. I was on pager duty last week, and had a
    cell phone in case I got paged. As it happened the pager went off. Knowing my
    duty to the corporation but not wanting to stop my ride, I got out the cell
    phone and made my call back to work to find out what the problem was. The
    arrangement worked pretty well, until the phone ran out of power. I will admit,
    though, that I felt a lot more conspicuous than usual as I rode past bicyclists
    and walkers.

Beirne

--
    Beirne "Bern" Konarski | Unicycling Home Page: beirne@neo.lrun.com |
    http://www.unicycling.org "Untouched by Scandal" | Unicycling Society of
    America:
    | http://www.unicycling.org/usa/

Comment

RE: Unicycling While playing an Instrument

[color={usenetquotecolor}]> cell phone in case I got paged. As it happened the pager went off. Knowing my[/color]
      [color={usenetquotecolor}]> duty to the corporation but not wanting to stop my ride, I got out the cell[/color]
      [color={usenetquotecolor}]> phone and made my call back to work to find out what the problem was. The[/color]
      [color={usenetquotecolor}]> arrangement worked pretty well, until the phone ran out of power. I will[/color]
      [color={usenetquotecolor}]> admit, though, that I felt a lot more conspicuous than usual as I rode past[/color]
      [color={usenetquotecolor}]> bicyclists and walkers.[/color]

At least using a cell phone while unicycling probably doesn't cause a big
      increase in your vehicle's danger to other towpath users... :-)

jf

Comment

play the bagpipes on your uni and you've got a busking show right there!

i suggest doing something to protect the seat and let the uni fall instead of
        the instrument. just like how you learned to juggle and uni at the same time.

Comment

I don't play any instrument personnally, but I have seen a dutch bicycle
          marching band, (quite a job for the drummer, drums attached to the handle bars)

As far as crashing if you don't worry about catching the uni a crash would
          probably leave you standing holding your instrument, as for the uni that's a
          different question altogether,

Find an empty gymnasium (lots of space and a smooth floor) with no bumps to
          worry about, you can concentrate on the playing and not the riding,

Comment

I have played the shakuhachi flute on a unicycle but I decided that it was too
            risky. The shakuhachi, being an endblown flute, could have been shoved down my
            throat in a crash, which could be even more unpleasant than it sounds. A
            transverse flute would be safer.

jh

On Fri, 23 Apr 1999, Orbach, Julian wrote:

[color={usenetquotecolor}]> On the Been There, Done That page[/color]
            [color={usenetquotecolor}]> (http://www.unicycling.org/unicycling/btdt/btdt.html) there are references to[/color]
            [color={usenetquotecolor}]> the following instruments known to have been played on a unicycle:[/color]
            [color={usenetquotecolor}]> Piano-Accordion Trombone Guitar Bagpipes Tuba Recorder[/color]
            [color={usenetquotecolor}]> More info is available on that page.[/color]
            [color={usenetquotecolor}]> I am always looking for more stories about more instruments.[/color]
            [color={usenetquotecolor}]> Julian Orbach mailto:Julian.Orbach@unforgettable.com[/color]

Comment

The Cline's <ncline@eup.k12.mi.us> wrote:
              [color={usenetquotecolor}]> Has anyone ever tried riding a unicycling while playing some sort of[/color]
              [color={usenetquotecolor}]> instrument? A couple of times I have thought about either play my Sax,[/color]
              [color={usenetquotecolor}]> or my Bag-pipes on it, but thought I might crash and hurt the[/color]
              [color={usenetquotecolor}]> instrument. Has anyone tried it? Is it hard? Are there any major[/color]
              [color={usenetquotecolor}]> problems?[/color]

IIRC at the 1998 British Juggling Convention four people played violins on unis,
              on of them on a tall giraffe. Sorry, didn't have a tape measure at the time.

Best, Borislav

Comment

On Friday, April 23, 1999 4:17 AM, John hoy
                [SMTP:unibum@m-net.arbornet.org] wrote:
                [color={usenetquotecolor}]> I have played the shakuhachi flute on a unicycle but I decided that it was too[/color]
                [color={usenetquotecolor}]> risky. The shakuhachi, being an endblown flute, could have been shoved down my[/color]
                [color={usenetquotecolor}]> throat in a crash, which could be even more unpleasant than it sounds. A[/color]
                [color={usenetquotecolor}]> transverse flute would be safer.[/color]

I guess I might as well come in at this point with the penny whistle (flageolet)
                and harmonica (not at the same time).

Danny Colyer danny@mos.clara.net Wondering what happened to the unicycle morris
                dancing he was involved in a few years ago - to an accordion playing unicyclist.

Comment

I sometimes play the fiddle while riding. It's fun! It seems that if you can do
                  both, putting them together is the easy part.

-Kris.

At 09:48 PM 4/21/99 -0400, you wrote:
                  [color={usenetquotecolor}]>Hello![/color]
                  [color={usenetquotecolor}]> Has anyone ever tried riding a unicycling while playing some sort of[/color]
                  [color={usenetquotecolor}]> instrument? A couple of times I have thought about either play my Sax,[/color]
                  [color={usenetquotecolor}]> or my Bag-pipes on it, but thought I might crash and hurt the[/color]
                  [color={usenetquotecolor}]> instrument. Has anyone tried it? Is it hard? Are there any major[/color]
                  [color={usenetquotecolor}]> problems?[/color]
                  [color={usenetquotecolor}]> Chris Cline MUni-Cow[/color]

Kris Holm, B.Sc. Geologist, Forestry Group, EBA Engineering Consultants Ltd.
                  Suite 550, Sun Life Plaza, 1100 Melville Street, Vancouver, B.C. V6E 4A6
                  Tel604) 685-0275 Fax604) 684-6241 Email: kholm@eba.ca

Comment

On the Been There, Done That page
                    (http://www.unicycling.org/unicycling/btdt/btdt.html) there are references to
                    the following instruments known to have been played on a unicycle:

Piano-Accordion Trombone Guitar Bagpipes Tuba Recorder

More info is available on that page.

I am always looking for more stories about more instruments.

Julian Orbach mailto:Julian.Orbach@unforgettable.com

Comment

[color={usenetquotecolor}]> IIRC at the 1998 British Juggling Convention four people played violins on[/color]
                      [color={usenetquotecolor}]> unis, on of them on a tall giraffe. Sorry, didn't have a tape measure at[/color]
                      [color={usenetquotecolor}]> the time.[/color]

Four people on a tall giraffe is pretty amazing even without the violins!
                      [color={usenetquotecolor}]:-)[/color]

Stay on top,

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone http://www.unicycling.com

Comment

I have been known to play "The Too Fat Polka" on my accordion while riding my
                        unicycle. Fortunately no one has pictures of it and if anyone asks me about it
                        I'll deny everything. :-)

Now, if I can only learn to play "Entry of the Gladiators" on the accordion and
                        ride at the same time.

John john_childs@hotmail.com

_______________________________________________________________
                        Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com

Comment

beirne wrote:

[color={usenetquotecolor}]> It's not an instrument, but this is a chance to tell a story. This Sunday I[/color]
                          [color={usenetquotecolor}]> was riding my 28" Semcycle on the Towpath trail, a multi-use trail between[/color]
                          [color={usenetquotecolor}]> Akron and Cleveland along the old Ohio Canal. I was on pager duty last week,[/color]
                          [color={usenetquotecolor}]> and had a cell phone in case I got paged. As it happened the pager went off.[/color]
                          [color={usenetquotecolor}]> Knowing my duty to the corporation but not wanting to stop my ride, I got out[/color]
                          [color={usenetquotecolor}]> the cell phone and made my call back to work to find out what the problem was.[/color]
                          [color={usenetquotecolor}]> The arrangement worked pretty well, until the phone ran out of power. I will[/color]
                          [color={usenetquotecolor}]> admit, though, that I felt a lot more conspicuous than usual as I rode past[/color]
                          [color={usenetquotecolor}]> bicyclists and walkers.[/color]

I was called by one of my clients one Friday night; after 10 minutes or so
                          discussing some problem or other about the project I was working on he asked "
                          why are you panting?". I had to explain that I was returning from the pub with a
                          friend, in the dark, on a rather windy, steep single track path over the top of
                          the North Yorkshire Moors, on my unicycle....

Roger

Comment

[color={usenetquotecolor}]> Now, if I can only learn to play "Entry of the Gladiators" on the accordion[/color]
                            [color={usenetquotecolor}]> and ride at the same time.[/color]

Nooo! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah! Not that song! No! Not again! (especially an
                            accordion version)

There is a disease in all of us. It lies beneath the surface, waiting for the
                            appropriate moments to be triggered and come to the surface. I call it 'Circus
                            Music Disease'. It happens to perfectly normal people. I bet we've all heard it.
                            For example. You're riding down the street, and some normal pedestrians see you.
                            All of a sudden, one of them breaks into an acapella version of Entry of the
                            Gladiators. You know how it goes: "Deet deet de-de-de-de-deet deet dee dee deet
                            deet de-de-de-de-deet deet dee dee..."

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

I was even on a TV show once, where the host started doing this unconsciously. I
                            think people start doing it without even realizing. Anyone ever notice this
                            phenomenon?

I was actually thinking of doing a Freestyle performance at NUC this summer on
                            this subject. Can anyone think of a way I can actually kill this song in a 3
                            minute time limit? I know I can't really "kill" it, because it lives everywhere,
                            lying dormant in all of our brains! But any fun ideas will be welcome.

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone Entry of the Gladiators-hater
                            http://www.unicycling.com

Comment

David Moss wrote:

[color={usenetquotecolor}]> play the bagpipes on your uni and you've got a busking show right there![/color]
                              [color={usenetquotecolor}]> i suggest doing something to protect the seat and let the uni fall instead of[/color]
                              [color={usenetquotecolor}]> the instrument. just like how you learned to juggle and uni at the same time.[/color]

To protect my seat the first thing I did was cover it in duct tape. Works
                              great! If you don't want to leave that sticky residue then I suggestfirst
                              putting a piece of cloth over the seat and then taping. joel

Comment

Working...
                              X