My dad starting to uni!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My dad starting to uni!

Hey, guys! My 51 year old dad is finally starting to uni on my old 20" Torker. I think he got inspired when he saw me ride off on my 5-footer this morning for the first time. Anyway, do you have any tips I can give him? I plan on impressing him with a huge list of helpful hints from you guys! Thanks!

-Tyler

Don't give up, practice hardcore, and don't wear jeans. Give him the ol' speech about "if your falling forward, speed up, if your falling backwards, slow down. Twist left or right if your falling left of right". Give em, time, and let him find out his own way of learning. I think I'm gonna go convince my dad to learn, so good luck and Merry Christmas
    Why take the bus when you can uni, or maybe take your uni on the bus?

Comment

Originally posted by vanished
      and don't wear jeans.
      I wear jeans all the time?!?!?!?!?!?!?
      Last edited by total uni; 2004-12-25, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by total uni
        I wear jeans all the time?!?!?!?!?!?!?
        Hmm, me too - and I'm the dad of an 11-year-old...
        "If god wanted us to believe in him - he'd exist"
        Linda Smith

Comment

Jeans can be uncomfortable because of the thick seam right where a bike or uni saddle goes.

Comment

Just tell him to ballance next to a pole and tell him the less force he has on the pole the more ballance he has and that once there is almost no force on the pole RIDE! Ride like the wind, and dont run into any cars. I dont think you would want to deal with roadkill.
            You can't take the wild out of an animal. Just like can't take the originality out of me!!!

Comment

If you ride with KH cranks (with the nubs) wearing baggy jeans, then the bottoms can get stuck on the cranks. And that really sucks, especially doing it in front of a girl.

Comment

Originally posted by phlegm
                Jeans can be uncomfortable because of the thick seam right where a bike or uni saddle goes.
                If you wear underwear then you cannot feel the seam

I find certain pants much more confortable, they have to be comfortable to do almost anything, and preferably shorts or jeans that wont interfere with riding.
                Rest in pieces.

Comment

If you ride with KH cranks (with the nubs) wearing baggy jeans, then the bottoms can get stuck on the cranks. And that really sucks, especially doing it in front of a girl.

Comment

Not for me!!! MWAHAHAAHAHHA!!!!!!

Comment

Not for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!MWAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!

Comment

My dad has been unicycling since he was my age. That's why my sister and I both have uni's (I ride, she says she does). He hasn't ridden in a really long time, and I keep nagging him to ride with me. My grandmother has pictures of him doing Kris Holm style MUni back in the 70's. I'll see if I can get my hands on some to scan and post them. And finally, if anyone is trying to pull that sterillity shit, he had my mom had us accidentally with protection. Have any of you seen the kind of saddles they had back then????? Take that rock hard saddle and look at those pictures... Yeah, I just shot down all arguments against uni.

Comment

Re: My dad starting to uni!

Originally posted by tylercox
                          Hey, guys! My 51 year old dad is finally starting to uni on my old 20" Torker. I think he got inspired when he saw me ride off on my 5-footer this morning for the first time. :
                          -Tyler
                          Good for your dad!! Tell him he can do this if just sticks with it. I learned last year after I turned 50-years-old. It's great exercise!! It's fun!!
                          ** Protect the Valle Vidal **

It is wise to invest in your happiness. - Harper

Comment

My dad has unicycled since he was my age. My grandmother has pictures of him doing Kris Holm style MUni in the 1970's. He is also doing this all on a rock hard saddle. Ouch. Well, he hasn't ridden in a long time. The last time he rode was when he whiped the dust of his and rode it around when I was learning. I keep nagging him to ride with me, but no luck yet.

As for your dad, I say sink or swim works best. Have him ride along a wall or fence until he gets the rythem, then force him to push off. If he falls on his ass, laugh, then tell him to get back on.
                            When I was learning, I did it in the alley behind our house with a Deep Rock Watter building. I'd get the feeling, then set goals for how far I would ride (usually dumpsters) and when I reached them... well I learned to turn fast.

Comment

A 20" wheel might be kind of small for him to learn on. If he has nothing else, tough. Hopefully it's not one of the Torkers wiht the kiddie seat. Make sure the seat height is set correctly for him.

Tell him to keep his weight on the seat at all times. When he makes corrections he will tend to stand on the pedals. Tell him to always remind himself to keep his weight on the seat.

Tell him to look forward, not at the wheel. Tell him let go of his launch point, look at his goal, and go for it.

Tell him to try to make round, smooth pedal strokes.

Tell him to try not to chicken out and step off. Ride until he falls each time trying to correct and have his body learn to correct at all times.

After each correction, his weight is no longer on the seat. Have him remind himself to relax into the saddle.

Jeans have seams in bad places. Cycling shorts are way more comfortable. Cycling shorts under sweatpants for cold weather. Sweatpants don't have such bad seams.

It will probably take hime ten to twenty hours to learn.
                              -Greg Harper

Nipples...do you ever have enough?

Change is good. Bills are better.

Comment

Working...
                              X