X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wobbling bear
    replied
    Originally posted by s7ev0
    So where are all the mums and grandparents who are starting to learn to ride?
    Well some of us started unicycling as grand-parents (that's my case)
    so my daughter is wondering when I will start to lure her children towards the black arts of unicycling ....

bear

one wheel: bear necessity

Leave a comment:

• lleberg
    replied
    Originally posted by newtouni
    Maybe he does....

Your profile says you're 17. Go get a part time job and earn some extra scratch. Or if you already have a job, just save for awhile and get it yourself.

just my 2 cents....
    Of course, i just ment the kind of answer i got when asking a pretty simple question.

Leave a comment:

• s7ev0
    replied
    So where are all the mums and grandparents who are starting to learn to ride?

Leave a comment:

• unitrialser
    replied
    Ha. My dad said he is going to try this coming Summer. Can't wait to see it. Lol.

Leave a comment:

• newtouni
    replied
    Originally posted by lleberg

But yesterday, wen i asked him if he could lend me some money to make my dream of a new unicycle real,
    i said "I want to go down flights of stairs, and doing things without worrying about my uni falling apart"..
    He barked "why do you want to go down stairs?!?!?!?", not understanding at all, that just sucks.
    Maybe he does....

Your profile says you're 17. Go get a part time job and earn some extra scratch. Or if you already have a job, just save for awhile and get it yourself.

just my 2 cents....

Leave a comment:

• lleberg
    replied
    My dad ain't really supporting.
    Or, he gave me stuff to make a studded tire fyre for christmas.
    But yesterday, wen i asked him if he could lend me some money to make my dream of a new unicycle real,
    i said "I want to go down flights of stairs, and doing things without worrying about my uni falling apart"..
    He barked "why do you want to go down stairs?!?!?!?", not understanding at all, that just sucks.

He didn't buy the talk about if i break this uni, i can't sell it, and it will get more expensive, he just woundered why i want to do that things.

Like he sees my 20" uni as a way of actually going somewhere.

Leave a comment:

• EXtC
    replied
    Great to hear that.

I bought my first trainer unicycle just before my 40th - Guess life really does begin at 40!!

It took me about two weeks to be able to launch myself into the "abyss", but only a couple of days more to free mount and ride off.

One of my goals for 2005 is to become more involved in Muni riding, and upgrade to a Kris Holm Freeride.

Let the fun times roll !!

Leave a comment:

• underdog
    replied
    That's great. I learned this year at 49. It took me an abnormally long time (see some of my other posts) but now I'm riding a few miles a day. It's the most challenging and fun thing I've ever done. Tell him not to give up when he's feeling frustrated. It'll eventually come to even the most balance challenged individual. I learned at a tennis court clutching the fence for dear life. I didn't really start to learn till I let go of fence and started falling. The more you fall the more you learn how not to. Also remember, weight on the seat.

Leave a comment:

• Long Stricer
    replied
    Well, I'm glad to hear that more of us 50+ers are trying the Uni. My wife bought one for me for Father's Day. Actually it was April 1, but I managed to ride it over the summer. I've gone .3 mile down our road and I've done figure 8's. I practice freemounting out in the grass and building confidence to try it on pavement. It took me a long time to learn. I practiced about 15 minutes every day between a 12' shelf and dining room chairs. I could feel improvement every day and that kept me going. I hope the uni and other activities keep me active and alert long into old age! Wish I had a rider around here to coah me, but I'm thankful for the information on the forum. It really helps.

Leave a comment:

• tylercox
    replied
    ummmmm.....show 'em a Kris Holm video! I'll bet you $1,000 that they'd like to be like Kris Holm! :-)

Leave a comment:

• marcvg
    replied
    How do I get my kids to learn?

I'm 54, and picking up where I left off 30 years ago.

I've got two boys, 15 and 19. Any ideas on how I might get them interested in learning to ride? I've dropped some hints. But no takers.

Leave a comment:

• Homerbot
    replied
    Originally posted by Catboy
    Just the fact that your dad is even willing to try learning is a blessing. My father barely supports me in doing this and it take much nagging just to have him drive me to an event, let alone fly to one or order a part.

One of these days though we will all be dads(providing not too many UPD's ) and then our kids will ride. We can breed out all of the two wheelers by the year 3000!!!
    couldn't we just breed out the arse hole ones?

Leave a comment:

• TheoELind
    replied
    Originally posted by Catboy

One of these days though we will all be dads(providing not too many UPD's ) and then our kids will ride. We can breed out all of the two wheelers by the year 3000!!!
    Why would we want to breed them out? Who's gonna shine our shoes, pump our gas, serve our every need? We won't breed em out completly- otherwise we'll have to find someone else to be superior over.

Leave a comment:

• Catboy
    replied
    Just the fact that your dad is even willing to try learning is a blessing. My father barely supports me in doing this and it take much nagging just to have him drive me to an event, let alone fly to one or order a part.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Re: My dad starting to uni!

I think the most helpful thing I can add is that my dad was older than that
    when he first got on a unicycle: He can ride it now, is not an expert yet
    but with more practice will get better, although I suspect he will never try
    any of the wilder stuff.. He rode a short 4 foot giraffe for the first
    time a couple of weeks ago.
    so the helpful hint is HE CAN DO IT.

Zyllan

"tylercox" <tylercox@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> wrote in
    message news:tylercox.1hucc8@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com...
    >
    > Hey, guys! My 51 year old dad is finally starting to uni on my old 20"
    > Torker. I think he got inspired when he saw me ride off on my 5-footer
    > this morning for the first time. Anyway, do you have any tips I can
    > give him? I plan on impressing him with a huge list of helpful hints
    > from you guys! Thanks!
    >
    > -Tyler
    >
    >
    > --
    > tylercox - 11-year-old UniDude!