novice, intermediate, and expert munis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• novice, intermediate, and expert munis

On unicycle.com, the U.S. site, what is the purpose of separating the munis by novice, intermediate, and expert? It doesn't seem to make much sense. When you could buy an "expert" muni like the Qu-Ax 24 for $329, why would anyone buy a "novice" muni like a semcycle or yuni that is priced similarly or more? Or does one have to be an expert to buy and ride an expert muni?

I think it's just a method of separating the MUnis into different categories that didn't work too well.
    I too have noticed the price weirdnesses, and I decided that when I buy a Muni I will be comparing prices and strength by simply looking at the parts list. That, and the fact that my MUni is not gonna be stock, it's going to have a bunch of substituted parts.

I really don't know why the prices are so weird, though.

EDIT to EDIT: whoop. prices wrong. my carefully crafted hypothesis has died.
    Last edited by Fuego; 2004-12-22, 05:36 PM.
    Being back is good.

Comment

the expensive novice ones cost so much because either they are custom, or extremely light weight. the expert ones tend to have 170mm cranks instead of 150s. i agree with you tho, i cannot justify buying a novice "Wilder 6160A Lightrider" over a profile muni for the exact same price. go figure

-grant
      The word gullible is written above my avatar!

Comment

I think the major reason for dividing the munis up is to make it easier for people to shop in their ability range. Or it may have been driven mainly by the fact that there were so many unicycles fitting the muni category that they just had to be divided up to keep the pages for running too long.

But as the unicycles have evolved over the last few years, they have grown and changed in ways that defy their classifications. It used to be easy. There were "conversion" type munis, which was when you put a knobby tire or made some other modifications to "regular" unicycles. These were the cheap ones. The purpose-built offroad unicycles were the more expensive ones, with Pashley at the middle-ground and the hand-mades, like Telfords and DMs, at the high price range.

But then, Unicycle.com and others started mixing and matching an ever-widening availability of better and better components to make all sorts of combinations. Now there are more choices in unicycling than ever.

But at the US Unicycle.com site, there is still a good deal of logic in the three Rough Terrain categories:

Expert:
        All these unicycles have splined cranksets. So regardless of other details, they are all made for maximum survivability of big drops and hard cranking.

Intermediate:
        These are the higher-end of the non-splined models. These are all either better-equipped than the Novice ones, or non-splined versions of the cycles in the Expert category.

Novice:
        These are the more-affordable, entry-level models. They have lower (less expensive) component quality than the higher categories and are often just right for newer riders, or light-duty off-roaders.

But yes, some of the prices today seem pretty out of whack. That's because newer/better/cheaper unicycles are supplanting much more expensive older models that used to be the only way to get a top quality cycle. Things like the hand-built KH frames. The difference between those frames and the factory-made (2004 model) versions is fairly minor, nothing worth the difference in price. But those cycles will probably stay listed until they sell out. At that point they will be collectors' items.

With the new (2005) KH frames, my Wilder is no longer a unique in the fact that it's aluminum. It's possible there may be no more of those type of Wilders. Hopefully this will increase the future collectible value of the one I have. At the moment, old unicycles still have very little value except for riding...
        John Foss
        www.unicycling.com

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"

Comment

It used to be divided by the brand, which I think worked perfectly. But now they changed it, for some reason....

Comment

Yeah, I don't like it. I can never find what I'm looking for without looking in many categories.
            Gilby

Comment

Working...
            X