Cost of Schlumpf Geared Unicycle.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cost of Schlumpf Geared Unicycle.

All this talk about geared hubs got me thinking about the cost of the new schlumpf unicycle. My quess is if they get to the point were you can just purchase the hub it's going to be $700 to $800
    by the time it reaches your doorstep in the good old USA. Any quesses?

Re: Cost of Schlumpf Geared Unicycle.

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 19:00:53 -0600, "oxfordrider" wrote:

>Any quesses?

The only two things we know:
    1. It is stated on the Schlumpf site that prices are currently being
    calculated
    2. Their speed drive for bikes is GBP 250, that's about US$ 500 I
    think. That's without shipping etc. Consider that a lower limit for
    the unicycle geared hub.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
    --
    I figure it's pretty clear that offroad unicycling is a stupid thing to do - joemarshall

Comment

Just read on Schlumpf's web site that the gear ratio for his "Speed Drive" bike hub is 1:1.65, and his "High Speed Drive" is 1:2.5! Wouldn't that be nice additions to the 1:1.5 uni hub?
      http://www.schlumpf.ch/sd_engl.htm

Comment

Got an email from Schlumpf today, explaining that they've had some delays but "a good end is in sight".

The first unit of the first series (100 pcs) was assembled today. The email included a picture, a sized version of which I attach. Original EXIF info is still included in the jpg file, this picture is just hours old!

Klaas Bil
        Attached Files

Comment

hmmm? another Aluminum frame hitting the market i see.
          --------------------------------------
          twitter> @shotofjagur

Comment

The cost is 980 EUR (about $1300 USD) for the first production run. http://www.schlumpf.ch/uni_dt.htm
            Gilby

Comment

Too expensive for me, I will wait till spring (or later) when they start mass producing them.
              -James

Comment

This might be the only run of them. I paid less than that for the geared 26er that was auctioned on this site a few months ago, and it came with awesome components. I don't see lots of people spending $1300 for these.

Of course this one is more easily shiftable, but I don't think that's going to create a huge demand.

When it comes to geared uni's I think lots of people want to try them, but relatively few are willing to shell out the $$

Originally posted by siafirede
                Too expensive for me, I will wait till spring (or later) when they start mass producing them.
                ><> Unicycle for (reducing the) Buddha <><

Comment

Schlumpf geared hub.

I had e-mailed Schlumpf a few months ago and the impression I got was the first production run you had to purchase the entire unicycle, but on the subsequent runs you could purchase just the hub. It would save on shipping if you could just get the hub.

Comment

http://www.schlumpf.ch/uni_engl.htm
                    This is Florian Schlumpf's unicycle page, in English, on his website.

This seems to differ from the page cited above, which can be translated with Google, by the "German to English" selection.

Comment

I believe the price from the german-language page is for a unicycle from the hand-made batch. Hopefully the production run will sport a much lower price tag.
                      Matthew Wegner

Comment

Re: Cost of Schlumpf Geared Unicycle.

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 17:46:02 -0600, "mscalisi" wrote:

>This might be the only run of them. I paid less than that for the geared
                        >26er that was auctioned on this site a few months ago, and it came with
                        >awesome components. I don't see lots of people spending $1300 for
                        >these.

I agree. If everybody waits to get a cheaper mass-produced one and
                        Schlumpf therefore don't sell their first series of 100, then it's
                        doubtful they will build any more.

Note that if you would buy the hub alone (if that ever is possible),
                        you'd have to buy the cranks too. Although they use standard square
                        tapers, the cranks are custom because of the shifting mechanism.
                        --
                        "Deflating pi does not reduce calories, it just concentrates them. - billham"

Comment

Re: Re: Cost of Schlumpf Geared Unicycle.

Originally posted by Klaas Bil

Note that if you would buy the hub alone (if that ever is possible),
                          you'd have to buy the cranks too. Although they use standard square
                          tapers, the cranks are custom because of the shifting mechanism.
                          How's that Klaas? Is there something in the cranks that attach to the hub?

The hub looks like a work of art....so shiny, curvy, kinda seductive.....(*talks myself into buying one)
                          Last edited by GizmoDuck; 2004-12-14, 07:47 AM.
                          Adventure Unicyclist

Alps 2 Ocean

Unistan: The Uzbekistan Unicycle Tour

Induni: The India Unicycle Tour

Monguni: The Mongolia Unicycle Tour

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Cost of Schlumpf Geared Unicycle.

Originally posted by GizmoDuck
                            How's that Klaas? Is there something in the cranks that attach to the hub?
                            Note the little button embedded in the hub-end of the crank in this picture. Shifting (from my experience with a Schlumf recumbent) is done by kicking this little button with the heel. On a unicycle this will take quite some practise, normally you'd just let the thing freewheel while you changed gears. I did read about the possibility of a shifter somewhere that would be hand-activated, like under the seat or somewhere like that.

http://www.schlumpf.ch/bilder/g_Einradb15.JPG

Andrew

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Cost of Schlumpf Geared Unicycle.

Originally posted by andrew_carter
                              Note the little button embedded in the hub-end of the crank in this picture.
                              That's what I was thinking too. On second thought though, that little button may not interfere with the crank at all. It may just move in the space 'above' the crank nut (the space that is usually covered by a dust cap if it hasn't fallen off) and only be attached to the shifting mechanism that runs from left to right all the way through.

I did read about the possibility of a shifter somewhere that would be hand-activated, like under the seat or somewhere like that.
                              I think you only read someone wishing that that be implemented. I read that somewhere too. But I think it is difficult to decently run a cable from the outside of the hub to the seat as the rotating cranks gets in the way. It has to make a w-i-d-e bend and there has to be a fixture at a vulnerable place i.e. next to the hub. Or maybe I'm wrong again.

Klaas Bil

Comment

Working...
                              X