Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

wheel walking tips

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • wheel walking tips

    this is wierd. i can glide now, but i cant wheel walk. when i wheel walk i always kick my unicycle in front of me and i fall. If any has any tips i would appreciate it. jon

  • #2
    That's really weird. How did you learn to glide without wheelwalking first?
    Anyway, here are a few suggestions on wheelwalking.
    1. Get it down while holding on to a wall or the ceiling.
    2. It might help to try it barefoot because then you have a lot more control and a better feel for the wheel. This helped me alot.
    3. When you do try it in the open, lean back farther the seems reasonable and go really slow.
    4. Practice lots.
    5. Search the forums for tips. You'll find lots of helpful hints.
    6. Explain how you are trying it right now, so we can figure and what your problem is and give you more specific advice.
    Note: you should probably have posted this on RSU.

    Comment


    • #3
      WHAT! you had to try barefooted, i did that once it was harder and painfull,especially when you slip.
      Uniclips Updated Sept
      AIM: unicaw89
      Last edited by God on 3000-01-01 at 12:00 am

      Comment


      • #4
        I really like doing freestyle barefoot. When I ride barefoot, I do it inside on carpet, with the ceiling close at hand to brace myself. When I get good enough at something, I try it outside with my shoes on. I found this especially helpful for spoke walk and backwards wheel walk. I don't recommend riding barefoot on cement.

        Comment


        • #5
          If i remember correctly Andrew Carter also likes to ride barefoot. I'm too lazy to search for the tread he said that though.

          The main thing when wwing is to lean back and make nice slow motions. It also helps to repeat heel...toe...heel...toe...heel when you are attempting wheel walking.
          OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE

          Comment


          • #6
            Also, if you feel yourself falling forward, start to move your legs faster, and if you fall back grip and move slower. It is pretty hard to do but the slightest adjustment can help. So when going very fast try an almost galloping kind of thing, like:
            http://www.unicycling.com/naucc/2004071704.avi

            Is speed wheelwalking.
            Rest in pieces.

            Comment


            • #7
              I am learning to wheel walk now. I learned unicycling many years ago (decades actually) and am only now getting to wheel walking.

              I have made a little progress but not that much. Then tonight I tried barefoot (outside) and I started to make much more consistent runs of 10 feet or so.

              I am finding two keys:
              1) Barefoot so you can flex your feet easier when transferring from toe to heel
              2) Keeping your hips back a bit in relation to your upper body to keep a bit of weight behind you so that you don't go to fast.

              Seems to be helping me make some progress now.
              KH20 Street, 110/127 Moments with rollos
              Stock KH27.5 with Black Street Saddle
              Oracle 36/Oregon Hub, 127/150 spirit

              Comment


              • #8
                Hi,

                Few month ago I started to learn the WW and I got some good tips from guys here. The most usefull for me was the heels tip by johnfoss:

                Originally posted by johnfoss View Post
                ...Don't underestimate the traction you have with your heels. You have much more control with your toe and heel than you do with the middle of your foot. Get used to this idea and you'll have much more room for your feet on the tire!
                You can view the full thread here: http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92752

                Good luck,
                UVcycle
                Just because you're breathing doesn't mean you're alive
                UVcycle's YouTube Channel

                Comment


                • #9
                  Well, I've been trying to WW for a year now. Uggh. I can ride one-footed etc, but can only manage 5 foot runs or so wheel walking. I know toe, heel, toe etc., lean back. I seem to fall the the side a lot when I lean back. When I don't lean back I fall forward because I can't push the wheel enough under me. I hold on to my car with one hand, then let go.

                  I'm pretty frustrated.

                  Where do you put your arms? Out to the side? In front? What do you think I am doing wrong? Should I try to push slower with my feet? I don't always feel accurate with foot placement, but if I go to slow I seem to fall to the side.
                  KH20 Street, 110/127 Moments with rollos
                  Stock KH27.5 with Black Street Saddle
                  Oracle 36/Oregon Hub, 127/150 spirit

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by kahunacohen View Post
                    Where do you put your arms? Out to the side? In front? What do you think I am doing wrong? Should I try to push slower with my feet? I don't always feel accurate with foot placement, but if I go to slow I seem to fall to the side.
                    Hi kahunacohen,

                    Your arm should be stretched to both sides with a little bent, as you do on slack line. They play important role in balance and corrections as they needed.

                    I can't tell you exactly what you're doing wrong, because I didn't saw you in action, post a vid it will help me/us to evaluate...

                    Ride on normal pace and sit with back straight. As you put the first foot on the wheel, lean back and take it slowly but think fast. What I mean is, in order not to fall to one side, you'll have to correct it by pushing a bit harder with only one foot. If you going to fall left, push fast and harder with your left foot. The catch is that you don't have time to think, it should be almost a reflex. If you think too much, you missed it...

                    Again, post a video - it will help a lot.
                    I'll be here fo any help

                    Have fun,
                    UVcycle
                    Just because you're breathing doesn't mean you're alive
                    UVcycle's YouTube Channel

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by kahunacohen View Post
                      Well, I've been trying to WW for a year now. Uggh. I can ride one-footed etc, but can only manage 5 foot runs or so wheel walking. I know toe, heel, toe etc., lean back. I seem to fall the the side a lot when I lean back. When I don't lean back I fall forward because I can't push the wheel enough under me. I hold on to my car with one hand, then let go.

                      I'm pretty frustrated.

                      Where do you put your arms? Out to the side? In front? What do you think I am doing wrong? Should I try to push slower with my feet? I don't always feel accurate with foot placement, but if I go to slow I seem to fall to the side.
                      I learned to wheel walk pretty fast which is unusual for me. I started off with a mount which seems crazy to me now.

                      [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lN_XfD36So"]Wheelwalking 1/27/2010 - YouTube[/ame]

                      I keep my arms at my side about chest high and a little forward, moving them as necessary for balance. That is, when I'm not juggling or shooting a basketball. I also try to keep a stiff upper body position (tight abs and leaning a little back like you mentioned) and keep my thighs pinched together slightly. I find it easier to wheel walk with a higher seat and with flat, thin-soled shoes. 5 feet is pretty good and I think you just need to keep at it. You may not be to the point where you're able to correct balance by pushing the tire but with more practice you'll get to that point and have longer runs. I'm finally at that point with backwards wheel walking and it's taken a long time.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I'll keep at it and post a video when I get a chance. This is def the hardest trick I've tried to learn, one day soon I'll get it.
                        KH20 Street, 110/127 Moments with rollos
                        Stock KH27.5 with Black Street Saddle
                        Oracle 36/Oregon Hub, 127/150 spirit

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          If you want to make wheel walking seem easy, spend an hour or so on wheel walking backwards! You will quickly gain an appreciation for all the traction you have when going forward.

                          Arms: for steering. Because wheel walking is so much slower than regular riding, you may need to make arm/hip twists to correct if you're going off to the side. So keep those arms out to the sides, ready to twist them one way or the other to make course corrections and stay balanced.

                          Don't try to go fast, like the guy in that clip above. Fast is good, but until youl get used to it, slow will teach your feet the movements so you can later speed up without your feet kicking each other.
                          John Foss
                          www.unicycling.com

                          "Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by johnfoss View Post
                            If you want to make wheel walking seem easy, spend an hour or so on wheel walking backwards! You will quickly gain an appreciation for all the traction you have when going forward.

                            Arms: for steering. Because wheel walking is so much slower than regular riding, you may need to make arm/hip twists to correct if you're going off to the side. So keep those arms out to the sides, ready to twist them one way or the other to make course corrections and stay balanced.

                            Don't try to go fast, like the guy in that clip above. Fast is good, but until youl get used to it, slow will teach your feet the movements so you can later speed up without your feet kicking each other.
                            Yes, my video was more of a "what not to do". I like to tell people that it's always good practice to ride as slow and as straight as you can. Also, I think it's great practice to pause when your pedals are level and balance as long as you can (even if that's a fraction of a second). These are foundational skills that help with almost every kind of trick and riding.

                            For kahunacohen, do you still practice one footed riding? How well can you do it? I would also suggest practicing that, too. When I practice I like to mix in things that I can do already (but can get better) and things I'm just starting to learn (and not making much progress). My backwards wheel walk is taking a long time but my double wheel is starting to come around. I imagine the combination will be exceedingly easy:

                            [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6vkf4pya8k"]Two-wheel unicycle - YouTube[/ame]

                            That's Gilby, right? A couple pushes of backwards wheel walk and kush kush.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              It definitely looks like Gilby, and it also looks like his dad (BillG) with a camera on a stick or something. How great to have easy, local access to a gym full of unicyclists on a weekly (or more frequent) basis!
                              Last edited by johnfoss; 2013-03-20, 05:06 AM.
                              John Foss
                              www.unicycling.com

                              "Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X