No announcement yet.

Dismounting/Breaking bad habits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loving those suggestions John and Richard!!! Also great ways of looking at the problem, I never thought about having my feet flat when getting off the unicycle, always had the 'backfoot' at 6'oclock and the front foot at 12'oclock. By keeping them level this should also help me learn the rolling hop as well (at a later date), as from what i can see, this foot position is key for that as well. I briefly tried to learn to idle but only managed a couple of hours without much success, will have to put some more time aside for that as well.
    I liked the back foot slap on the peddle, seems a good trick and might give that a go along with Johns point about the level feet (mentioned earlier)

Comment

As suggested before, if you have a brake it's pretty easy to teach yourself this dismount. And then it translates well into doing it without the brake.

Edit Unimyra you're doing it with the brake on this video of yours, correct?
      Last edited by pierrox; 2020-05-18, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard C
        I remember a time when it wasn't [feeling instinctive], but I can't remember what it felt like then!
        I remember what it felt like - it's what John mentioned "the scary part" - the leaning back position. I remember it as having to lean back much more than I felt comfortable with before putting one foot to the ground. Maybe you have the same feeling?
        Best regards, Sanne
        Last edited by Sanne.Kj; 2020-05-18, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Quick update: After work this evening i went out for a quick practice using some of the techniques and advice you lovely lot have given, i am starting to get some more level of success this is down to two factors:
          1. Thanks to JohnFoss, who pointed out my previous error. Prior to dismounting my feet need to be horizontal (like it is when you mount, right foot in front) with right foot on last and right foot off first.
          2. Like Pierrox and others pointed out, brakes are handy to dismount and i practiced using the brakes and not using them, and using them really made a difference.

Both of these points helped hugely in getting a 50/50 success rate, will keep practicing using these two points mainly. Although i do dismount correctly on these few occassions, they definitely arent elegant or graceful dismounts, but that should come with time, at least i am coming off the right end

Thank you everyone!! Really appreciate EVERYONES input!

Comment

I was pretty much the same as you, I always dismounted from the front, it was pretty controlled and I just stepped off the front and took hold of the handle, I think it looked okay. As JimT says a handlebar is not an issue, I stepped off the front of my 29"er with a handlebar with no problems.

I had on occasion tried to step off the back and when I managed to do it I wondered why I couldn't do it consistently since it seemed easy. I think the reason was that I came off the back very early on when learning to ride and tore the back of my calf up pretty badly with the pedal pins, so I think I developed a fear of leaning back at the very beginning -- basically I think I have a mental block on leaning back.

What I found which made a big difference to me was instead of leaning back before stepping off I just bend ever so slightly at the waist, sort of sticking my bottom back a bit while keeping my body upright, then step off. It probably has the same effect on my centre of gravity as leaning back but my head thinks it is still upright or even leaning forward :-)

I'm not 100% consistent in dismounting this way but it made a big difference for me. I'm hoping that in time the apparent fear of leaning back will diminish by doing this.

Comment

sometimes i learn new things by forcing the situation, so when i learned that rear dismounts were proper form i gave myself a “crash course” by riding up to a wall and bumping it lightly with my tire. In my case i found myself stepping off the back to save a sideways fall. Worked for me
              Last edited by WeaponizedBacon; 2020-05-21, 11:10 PM.
              For the most part, if you want to be cool, you might want to avoid unicycles. But if you want to ride unicycles, you're into a different kind of cool. We are not sheep! (Foss, 2017, p. 93)

Comment

Working...
              X