Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

upgrade nimbus 36" to 32" or just sell it??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• upgrade nimbus 36" to 32" or just sell it??

i guess it would actually be a downgrade.

so i have a 36" nimbus oracle and i love it but... its sorta a bit much. so id like to go down to a 32". can i use my current frame, and just get a new tire and wheel? or am i looking at more cost? i just wanna downsize and not have to buy a whole new setup if at all possible.

thanks

courtney

:end
    Last edited by courtney; 2020-03-16, 04:09 AM.

Originally posted by courtney View Post

so i have a 36" nimbus oracle and i love it but... its sorta a bit much. so id like to go down to a 32". can i use my current frame, and just get a new tire and wheel? or am i looking at more cost? i just wanna downsize and not have to buy a whole new setup if at all possible.
    You can use the same frame and hub. The cost for rim, tire, tube, spokes, shipping and building would likely be about $400. You could likely sell the 36er for more then $400 and would come out ahead just buying a new 32".

Comment

bingo! youre right. i talked to a guy today at unicycle dot com and he parted it out for me just like you did and it came up to a bit over 4 bills. in fact, during our discussion he identified some issues and concerns i had and pretty much suggested i get back on the horse and stay with my 36er. step mounting and maneuverability are my concerns so ill have to figure out what i want to do from here

Comment

If it is a matter of mounting and maneuverability on the 36", just stay with it, you will get better. When I first got a 36er the seller said a disadvantage was the lack of maneuverability. After some time on the uni I have not really found any problems. I can turn pretty sharp and even turn on a point if I hop a little. For road riding it is hard to beat a 36" uni.
        For mounting a 36er most riders find it easiest to do a rolling mount.

Comment

If anything I would build/get a complete 32" wheelset, and keep the 36" wheelset complete. A lot harder to sell a 36" Rim and some spokes, and you wouldn't be able to easily go back. Worth the extra 75$ or so for a hub to keep it the 36" around, I think.

But, since the cost of "upgrade" is so high, and a 32" (in my eyes) isn't a big difference to ride vs. a 36" I'd agree with UDCs recommendation.
          In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -Douglas Adams.

Comment

I just came back from a self-enforced 36" ride. I have to keep up some time on the beast else I loose even more handling skill. Much prefer my KH29 as the 36" takes so much more effect to control and without longer cranks, local hills are just too hard. I can go more places and faster on the 29", and not feel so exhausted after. I do agree with other writers, these problems become less with lots of practice. I had almost got to a comfortable level on the 36, but without regular practice it's just too hard. Why do I keep it? No worth taking the loss to sell, one day I may live in an area more suited to a 36", or at least someone with my limited skills on a 36". Also, it's good for ones overall unicycling skills to ride a variety of unicycles.

Comment

Originally posted by courtney View Post

thanks

courtney

:end
              11% (1/9) reduction in wheel size, seat height 2 inches (50 mm) lower. The difference is not great. Is it really worth it?

My first novel, Bridge of Otherwhere, Michael Wilkinson, on Kindle. A tale of subtle magic, mystery, friendship and love. Tinyurl.com/Bridge-of-Otherwhere For US$ page: TinyURL.com/OtherwhereBridge

Comment

Working...
              X