Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steve.colligan
    replied
    My little one started to learn shortly after his 3rd birthday. It wasn't his only Xmas present, honest! He found this a little early in life to comprehend what-the-hell was going on. Now the Winter is over with, we can find the time to practice more. He's now 4 1/2 and I'm convinced he'll be riding unaided by his 5th birthday.

Steve

Leave a comment:

• joemc
    replied
    I bought our son a 16" for his 7th birthday last June, as he seemed to be having trouble learning on my (heavily chopped!) 20". He was freemounting and riding well enough to go out for 1 mile or so rides within 2 weeks. We've done a lot of muni together, no serious drops, but lots of technical singletrack and steep, loose descents. Last Tuesday we did a 6.5 mile trail ride in just under 2 hours, mostly singletrack. I felt a bit of a 'bad dad' as I was on my 26 x 3 (Duro) with 150's while Obe was on a 16 x 2.25 with 89's. He slept well that night!
    I'm playing with the idea of making up a shortie superlight 24" muni for him, copying the 'short persons coker frame' on unicycle.uk.com. By my maths he would just be able to reach the pedals on 127 cranks. The only concern I have is that as he can keep up fairly well on his 16", on a 24" He'll be leaving me for dead.

Leave a comment:

• duaner
    replied
    Originally posted by chirokid

James, my oldest two were already bike riders. My youngest, 5 years old, was not riding a bike.

Out of my selfishness, I decided to not teach her to bike ride until she learned to unicycle ride. I feel sort of mean about that, but she practices her unicycles several times per/week.

I wanted her to be able to say, "I could ride a unicycle before I learned to ride a bike!" Am I a bad Father for that? --chirokid--
    Would appear your not the only "bad father" ...

Our weekly (juggling) meeting a couple nites ago had two young riders who'd never been there before. An 11yo brother and 8yo sister. Though I don't think she could freemount, the 8yo was zipping all over the place on a uni - and she cannot yet ride a bike. Here mom explained that she has trouble controlling the steering of the front wheel.

Leave a comment:

• bugman
    replied
    My daughter turned three just after Christmas and I gave her a unicycle. I got her the sun 12" and cut the seat post and seat tube. It is just about right. She can sit on it if holding something, and can pedal if being held. I don't think she will be learnig too quickly, but she loves doing what Daddy does.

Leave a comment:

• Rayden
    replied
    I wanted her to be able to say, "I could ride a unicycle before I learned to ride a bike!" Am I a bad Father for that? --chirokid--
    Yes you're very evil.

Leave a comment:

• treepotato
    replied
    i've heard the younger you learn the easier it is but i don't know if that's true...

Leave a comment:

• wobbling bear
    replied
    Re: Grandchildren?

Originally posted by grey
    Who has taught grandchildren?
    well for sure I would like to teach my grandchildren
    but I decided on a strategy: I would only and if only they ask for!

(after all my daughter told me she was in charge of their education and I was in charge of extravagancies)

bear

Leave a comment:

• grey
    replied
    Grandchildren?

Who has taught grandchildren? I wasn't riding when my kids were growing up, and I want to make up for it by teaching the grandkids. For the record, we learned last week that the first grandbaby is now in utero!
    Last edited by grey; 2004-03-25, 02:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Jayne ZA
    replied
    I must admit that I haven't taught either of my kids to ride yet, but I plan on teaching my daughter (turned 4 in Feb) as soon as I can get a wheel small enough for her. She's seen me practicing on the coker and wants to have a go herself.

Naturally, she wants to ride the coker, even though she's shorter than the wheel. Goodness knows she couldn't do worse on it than I do.

Jayne

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Re: Age to start learning

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 12:30:40 -0600, "todd1814" wrote:

>How old, or should I say how young,
    >were your kids when you taught them to ride?

My daughters were 9 and 11 when they learned riding. The youngest
    person known to have been riding a unicycle was 18 months old. You may
    also want to take a look at
    <www.xs4all.nl/~klaasbil/agelearn_short.htm>.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
    --
    I think profile should make some stronger 145mm cranks - Ryan Atkins

Leave a comment:

• billham
    replied
    My daughter is 6 and started this past Christmas (uni was a gift from me). She practiced a fair amount in January and February and got to the point of a couple rides that were 15 - 20 feet long. She could often ride 5 - 10 feet. Then she lost interest for a while even though I asked her if she wanted to ride often.

Just a couple of days ago I asked her to ride a little to show a friend what she could do on it. She loves to show off for people! She did as well if not better than what she could do a month ago even though she hadn't been practicing. The next night she did some more riding and often rode 15 - 20 feet and was turning, stopping and stepping off without dropping the uni. It was a major improvement for her! I would guess she could have rode farther if she had room, but we were in our basement and 20 feet was the max she could ride.

So 6 has been a good age for us. My advice is to not push them to ride. Have fun when you ride and gives tons of encouragement and laugh a lot when the little one is riding. Fun, fun, fun!

I have a railing that I set up along the wall of my basement and it has been great for her to get used to being on the uni. She has usually taken the initiative to try to ride away from the railing. but we have made a joke out of being a "rail hugger". That has allowed me to casually encourage her to let go more often.

Oh yeah, I like the rail for working on idling, one foot idling, still stands, wheel walking (tough!) etc. I am guilty or rail hugging sometimes too!

Bill

Leave a comment:

• James_Potter
    replied
    So when you taught her to ride a bike, did she learn faster than your other kids did?
    I know some people who are (were) proficient mountain bikers, and it didn't take them long at all to learn to ride a unicycle.

Leave a comment:

• bugman
    replied

Out of my selfishness, I decided to not teach her to bike ride until she learned to unicycle ride. I feel sort of mean about that, but she practices her unicycles several times per/week.

That's just heartless. The nerve. Hope child services doesn't get wind of this.

Leave a comment:

• UniBrier
    replied
    My oldest started at 8 but really didn't become interested until whe was 9 when a neighbor became interested too. They practiced together and in no time were all over the neighborhood.

My youngest started at a month or so before her sixth birthday. She launched into the abyss while still barely 5.

They're 12 and 7 now. Levels 5 and 2 respectively.

Some past threads about kids:

Teaching the Kids

Teaching Tips paid off

First Unicycle for a Child to Learn On

Teaching Kids how to ride.

Leave a comment:

• chirokid
    replied
    Originally posted by James_Potter
    do you bother teaching them to ride a bike? Or do you just go straight to a unicycle?
    Or, if you know how to ride a unicycle, can you jsut ride a bike straight off?
    James, my oldest two were already bike riders. My youngest, 5 years old, was not riding a bike.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X