No announcement yet.

Schlumpf gear-change unicycle hub prototype revealed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throw one of these on a Coker and a 15 MPH cruising speed in now somewhere around 22 MPH. Shite! That's something to get excited about.

JL

Comment

Originally posted by harper
      Unless he builds it in Germany which will put a huge pricetag on it.
      My deepest apologies for misrepresenting Florian Schlumpf who is of course Swiss, not German.
      -Greg Harper

Nipples...do you ever have enough?

Change is good. Bills are better.

Comment

Originally posted by vivalargo
        Throw one of these on a Coker and a 15 MPH cruising speed in now somewhere around 22 MPH. Shite! That's something to get excited about.

JL
        That's something to be frightened by. Imagine UPDing at over 20 mph! Ouch.

then again, cruising at 15 MPH would require a much slower cadence with the new hub. That would be nice.
        ><> Unicycle for (reducing the) Buddha <><

Comment

I thought that all unicycles already came with two gears, Forward and Reverse, although not all unicyclists can engage reverse and I'm one of them.
          A geared unicycle seems like a good idea if you like that sort of thing but to me seems to be removing itself from the pure simplicity that is the appeal of a unicycle, if I was to add gears and a brake then I may as well add the second wheel and be done with it. But then I will never be brave enough to go at 20mph on one wheel..
          You do WHAT on it?

Comment

This is indeed an interesting development.

The Mountain Drive and Speed Drive are neat. I tried them on a stationary bike at the Seattle Bike Expo. Nifty cool little things.

I'm a little worried about price though. They aren't cheap to begin with and the unicycle version will probably be more due to low volume.

I hope it will work with our regular unicycle cranks. It is supposed to work with normal cranks, but the crank does need to sit on the tapers just right. Not too far and not too little. Too far and the shift button will stick out too far. Too little and the shift button won't stick out far enough. Standard unicycle cranks are not always the same in this regards as regular bicycle cranks.

I'm slightly worried that there might be some unintentional gear shifting when your foot accidentally rubs against the shift button. I have a bad habit on my Coker of having my heel get too close to the crank and rubbing. This may not be enough to cause it to shift completely to the next gear, but it might be enough to cause it to get partially out of gear. I'd rather have the shift button recessed so that you have to stop and dismount and push the button in by hand in order to shift. Shifting on the fly is not going to be very practical anyways. It's not a great problem if you have to stop to change the gear.

Removing the crank takes a little more care than with a normal unicycle hub. Installing the cranks also takes more care. After reading the tech manual for the Speed Drive, I don't want to be changing the cranks much at all. Changing cranks is not just a wham bam thank-you mam operation like it is with normal unicycle hub.

The tech manual for the Speed Drive is here. It's an Adobe Acrobat document. It's got details on what's involved in changing cranks and other tech details.

Harper's has the potential to be less expensive (iff the Chinese can build the thing correctly) and also less complex because there is no on the fly shift button thingy ma bob. Harper's hub will also work with any square tapered crank that we use for unicycling. I don't know if the Schlumpf hub will work with all of our favorite unicycle cranks.

Still very cool.
            john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
            Team Never Wash Your Muni
            My Gallery :: Unicycling Bookmark List :: World Clock

Comment

Schlumpf Specs

Schlumpf has posted specs on their website:

- 2 gear ratios: direct drive1:1, overdrive 1:1.5
              - Shifting: direct shifting via push buttons on both ends of the spindle. No cables, no rods.
              - Housing: corrosion resistant, completely encased and protected against dust and spray water.
              - Hub: for 36-hole rims
              - Axle length: 140mm
              - Crankarms with standard square end
              - Crankarms available: 104, 125, 127, 152, 165, 170, 172.5 180mm
              - Distance from outer side of ball bearing to outer side of ball bearing: 102mm
              - Designed for bearings with width 40mm, diameter 12mm
              Will

Comment

Re: Schlumpf Specs

Originally posted by willfcc

- Distance from outer side of ball bearing to outer side of ball bearing: 102mm
                How does that compare the to the bearing to bearing width of standard hubs like the Suzue or the Uni.com Chromoly hub? Is it wider, narrower, the same?

Comment

Re: Re: Schlumpf Specs

Originally posted by john_childs

How does that compare the to the bearing to bearing width of standard hubs like the Suzue or the Uni.com Chromoly hub? Is it wider, narrower, the same?
                  Suzue measures 104mm, so essentially the same.

Scott
                  ------------Use my Email, not PMs please--------

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Schlumpf Specs

Originally posted by S_Wallis
                    Suzue measures 104mm, so essentially the same.

Scott
                    Bummer. I was hoping that it would be wider than the Suzue. There is no need to try to squeeze a hub like that into a narrow frame. Might as well make it a little wider. Oh well. I'll have to see what the flange to flange width is to get a batter comparison. The bearing to bearing width doesn't tell the whole story.

Comment

Originally posted by joemarshall
                      Wow that looks cool.

It'll not be cheap though, the standard bicycle version is over 200, ($412 + postage + taxes for you guys in the US).

Joe
                      That's a price I'd happily pay for an epicyclic/geared hub. They would be perfect for unitouring and (if robust enough), for MUniracing. Can't wait for the production versions of these things.

Ken
                      Adventure Unicyclist

Alps 2 Ocean

Unistan: The Uzbekistan Unicycle Tour

Induni: The India Unicycle Tour

Monguni: The Mongolia Unicycle Tour

Comment

Originally posted by GizmoDuck

That's a price I'd happily pay for an epicyclic/geared hub. They would be perfect for unitouring and (if robust enough), for MUniracing. Can't wait for the production versions of these things.

Ken
                        I'm thinking similar about the muni riding. On a 26/29 wheel it'd mean you could easily go 20 miles on road, then do some off road and then ride back. Currently when I do rides like that, it's usually on a 29er with short cranks, which is a bit of a compromise for both the road riding and the muni riding, or the coker which is a lot of a compromise for the muni and limits what you can ride.

Joe
                        old pics new zealand pics new pics
                        Where have I been riding? (GPS)

Comment

Working...
                        X