> unicycle.

There is an alternative to a bonfire. I buy hose books and am using them
    to brain wash my neices and nephews into thinking that unicycles are
    NORMAL and something that lots of people have. So far their christmas
    presents have included A great day for up, bears on wheels, wibblely pig
    etc... As soon as their little legs are long enough** it'll be a family
    uni under the tree hopefully.

sarah
    ** the eldest IS only 5 and not very tall for his age.

--
    http://uk.unicyclist.com/swum.html
    South West Unicycle Meet - Exeter
    Saturday feb 28th, 12am-5pm

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Re: history of unicycling

Actually, I wouldn't mind having handlebars for a long-distance ride --
    also a place to put a brake lever.

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 11:38:37 -0600, onewheeldave
    <onewheeldave@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> wrote:

>Finally, here's Adolf Gunter at the end of a 200 km ride round a lake in
    >1910.
    >
    >Any ideas as to what the wheel size is here? To me it could be around
    >29-er size, or is it more like a Coker?
    >
    > +----------------------------------------------------------------+
    > | Attachment filename: dave 004rotated.jpg |
    > |Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/191211|
    > +----------------------------------------------------------------+

Leave a comment:

• onewheeldave
    replied
    Finally, here's Adolf Gunter at the end of a 200 km ride round a lake in 1910.

Any ideas as to what the wheel size is here? To me it could be around 29-er size, or is it more like a Coker?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by onewheeldave; 2004-02-14, 05:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• onewheeldave
    replied
    and: -
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• onewheeldave
    replied
    Here's the photos from Sebastian Hoher's book 'Unicycling- from beginner to expert'.

Qualities not too good, they're snaps from a digital camera, rather than scans.

First is a race line up from 1886.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by onewheeldave; 2004-02-14, 05:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JJuggle
    replied
    Originally posted by yoopers
    I'm curious...did Jen have her question answered?
    Seems like a good guess that Curious_Jen is an agente provacateur so it really hardly matters.

Raphael Lasar
    Matawan, NJ
    Last edited by JJuggle; 2004-02-13, 04:09 AM.

Leave a comment:

• yoopers
    replied
    I'm curious...did Jen have her question answered?

Leave a comment:

• scot
    replied
    Originally posted by john_childs

Burn the books! Burn the books!

I have this picture in my head now of a big bonfire fueled by every childrens book in existence that has an illustration of a clown on a unicycle.
    Farenheit 451 ? Burn, baby, burn!!!

Thanks to John Foss. For a long time now, I have respectfully considered you with the unicycle historian.

Leave a comment:

• onewheeldave
    replied
    Further to some of the posters here who've questioned the practicality of one wheelers- as I've posted before, out of my bike and uni I tend to use to uni more than 90% of the time.

Recent experiences with the 29-er have made me see just how viable it is as transport- light, versatile (i.e. ok on roads and pavements), as fast as a bike on the uphills (as for downhills I have no problem with being in control all the way down, even if it does mean it's slower) etc etc, the list goes on.

Yesterday, finally getting round to installing new brake pads on my racer, I was made very aware of another uni plus- ease of maintainance.

What looked like a simple 5 minute operation (I really should learn!) turned into a 45 minute ordeal of working out a fairly bizarre mechanism (I know with experience it would become simple, but I'm a newbie with brakes), adjusting it and hunting down the incredible variety of spanner sizes necessary.

The last point especially is mind blowingly annoying- I understand the need for different sized nuts but surely all that is necessary is a big one and a small one?

Instead my bike has a bewildering array of nuts and bolts which require not just a full set of spanners, but two full sets- metric and imperial.

Such a shame- the bicycle could be a beautifully simple mechanism, as it is, it is in no way fully servicable by a beginner, and the cost of even the usual tools is high for a full range.

Unicycles share some of these problems, but much reduced. I admit I found the crank changing process took several attempts, and a thread stripping, before I got fully comfortable with it; but at least that's just one task- on a bike every little job seems to have a similar learning curve, and there's a lot of them.

Also, the lack of a chain, brake (in most cases!) and gears, means the uni is much easier to stay on top of (ha, ha!) when it comes to mainaintance.

Not dissing bicycles here; as eco friendly, simple, health improving, non polluting, easy to ride transport for the masses, there is no equal- I consider them to be one of mankinds finest technological achievements.

But unicycles, as well as being comparable in many ways, definitely have the edge when it comes to ease of maintainance.

Leave a comment:

• john_childs
    replied
    Originally posted by johnfoss
    Take a look through the children's section of your local library. I think that's where the clown and circus image is generated.
    Burn the books! Burn the books!

I have this picture in my head now of a big bonfire fueled by every childrens book in existence that has an illustration of a clown on a unicycle.

Leave a comment:

• onewheeldave
    replied
    Excellent point, I reckon that's where it's coming from- childrens books.

I myself have never seen a unicycle in a circus (I missed the Chinese Sate Circus when it was in Sheffield) and I don't think I'm ever going to see a clown on one.

It's a similar situation with juggling in childrens books and on cards etc- the pattern is always a super low 'shower' with an unlikely number of balls, whereas 98% of real juggling patterns are going to be 'cascade' based patterns.

Leave a comment:

• johnfoss
    replied
    Originally posted by jerryg
    Hundreds of years of anything doesn't make a 5 year old child ask if I'm a clown. The only place they've seen unicycles is with clowns and/or in circuses, and so they make that connection.
    True, except I don't think most 5 year olds have actually *seen* a clown on a unicycle in person. They just aren't that common. They have seen them in illustrations in books. Take a look throught the children's section of your local library. I think that's where the clown and circus image is generated.

The perception is the same, but based not on witnessing actual unicycle clowns; only pictures of them from days of old, and peoples' imagination.
    Last edited by johnfoss; 2004-02-12, 06:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jerryg
    replied
    Interesting thread...

But to get back off the subject and perhaps further from that group hug, attitude is formed by previous exposure (education). Hundreds of years of anything doesn't make a 5 year old child ask if I'm a clown. The only place they've seen unicycles is with clowns and/or in circuses, and so they make that connection. It's always the parents who are ashamed by the question. I assume they've made a connection that their child calling someone a clown is not a compliment. I generally stop and attempt to educate the parent that being a clown is not the worst thing, and also educate the child that not everyone on a uni is a clown -even when I am wearing the orange wig, red nose and big shoes.

The clown comment only bothers me when it is used with disrespect. Whether or not I am a considered a clown is determined by the person making that conclusion, and they are free to make it.

I also own a Penny Farthing/Ordinary and an Ultimate Wheel. I ride either well, but still can't imagine how one led to the other.

Leave a comment:

• GILD
    replied
    Re: Re: Boys, boys, boys...

Originally posted by harper
    Thanks for bringing this thread back to the history of unicycling.
    does that mean u're not in for the group hug?

Leave a comment:

• harper
    replied
    Re: Boys, boys, boys...

Originally posted by johnfoss

Look at a unicycle. Think back to before you could ride one. Did you see any practicality in it?
    Yes, but I was less than eleven years old. Lots of things seemed practical. Now is when they seem impractical.

Thanks for bringing this thread back to the history of unicycling.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X