Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: serious injury poll

I'll chime in on this even though I haven't done any serious riding for
    probably 20 years. Please forgive me if some of my terminolgy isn't up to date.
    My riding was done in the mid 70's - early 80's. Back then, nobody ever wore
    any protective equipment that I can remember. I know I certainly didn't. Now I
    wouldn't think of riding without a Kevlar suit. Old bones.... Anyway, I never
    had a serious injury from riding and I used to do a lot of it. Shortly after I
    got my new Schwinn Giraffe, I was falling off of it alot. I swore up and down
    that the pedals were slipping but nobody would believe me. It finally got bad
    enough that we figured out that the sprocket on the wheel was slipping. The
    Schwinn rep. shipped the whole Giraffe back to the factory and they ended up
    redesigning the hub. I believe I got the first one of the redesigned wheels. It
    never slipped again and I still have it. Anyway, I probably should have been
    injured from that but I was lucky and never got hurt. So I vote no.

I'm glad I stumbled across this newsgroup. I plan on getting back into it.
    What's the average age around here? Maybe I should give a little history about
    myself...

Comment

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 15:42:41 -0600, onewheeldave
      <onewheeldave@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> wrote:

>Hopefully that's because people who've recieved injuries are more
      >inclined to vote than those who haven't, therefore distorting the facts;

That is probably true. It is at least true for me but I'll add my vote
      today. Another factor is that the people active in this newsgroup /
      forum are the more fanatic ones (and hence the more injury-prone ones)
      so I would guess that if all the anonymous non-posters would chime in
      the injury rate would go down a lot.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
      --
      I have a feeling you might need two points of contact with the ground for such a thing to work? Or at least training wheels on the front and rear. - John Foss commenting on a picture of a one-wheeled vehicle he saw on RSU.

Comment

On 31 Jan 2004 04:00:54 GMT, hrd2dig@aol.complex (Hrd) wrote:

>What's the average age around here? Maybe I should give a little history about
        >myself...

Welcome here Hrd! The ages of the posters here range from about 12 to
        60-odd. The sub-12 category is represented by their parents posting
        about their progress or stories. Similarly, people in their 90's have
        been mentioned riding but don't post themselves.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
        --
        I have a feeling you might need two points of contact with the ground for such a thing to work? Or at least training wheels on the front and rear. - John Foss commenting on a picture of a one-wheeled vehicle he saw on RSU.

Comment

Re: Re: serious injury poll

Originally posted by Hrd
          I'm glad I stumbled across this newsgroup. I plan on getting back into it.
          What's the average age around here? Maybe I should give a little history about myself...
          Welcome Hrd! If you want to know more about the "senior" members of our community, check out this thread.
          You can have a lot of fun here, and even more fun if you go ride! If you have any questions (e.g. where to buy full body armor), don't be afraid to ask. We've got people of all age, shape, nationality, and beverage preference, so you'll probably get many varied answers to anything you want to ask. Enjoy!
          Blah Blah Blah BACON Blah Blah Blah
          --Harper a-la Catboy
          Still a work in progress . . .

Comment

I think I have. I cut up my shin pretty bad. It would have cracked but I hit my shin for fun. I did this while trying to ride backwards, so is that extreme? Also, when I was learning to ride backwards, I went down my driveway and fell off and did a roll backwards completely around- which was pretty fun.
            "-Hello. How are you?
            -No cucumber."
            --My dumb brother talking to a Subway employee

Comment

No major injuries in a year of getting as extreme as my chicken factor has allowed.

John, do you mind if I name my uni "Chicken Factor"? I made an awesome valve cover for my MUni by filling the head of a Fischer-Price chicken with caulk and sticking in a valve cap. I was thinking of callling it chicken mojo or something of the sort, but chicken factor is great too.

I like the chicken, it allows me to blame stuff on my uni. "My unicycle is too chicken for that 6' drop. see?"
              Being back is good.

Comment

No serious injuries yet. My worst injury was a sprained ankle, when I tried the transition from chin on seat to seat drag the first time, and even that only had me down for a few days. I have a very high "chicken factor" which keeps me from riding down more than a few stairs at a time or dropping more than about 8".
                Last edited by jsm; 2005-05-19, 01:36 AM.

Comment

smashed up teeth wich is prety accuratly describbed in this video:

------> http://www.busteduni.com/vid_albums/crash_clips/art.wmv

and not too long ago I sprained both my ankles one day apart from the other. The left one was badly sprained, really swollen and whatnot and well... so was the other one.

oh, and before that at Toque I got a really weird bruise on my left leg wich left it all soft and mushy for a few weeks.
                  CREEPMACHINE

Comment

Apart from the usual mutilated shins, calves, knees and elbows.

1.)Sprained ankle from doing a slippery, grassy slope.It wasn't extreme but that was in my beginner days and at that point, it was way extreme.

2.)Sprained ankle-hockey

3.)Bruised shoulder and back causing impaired movement for a couple of days-- hockey opponent lands his unicycle onto me.

4.) 2 weeks ago.Nasty gash(es) during non-extreme commuting where my foot slips of the pedal and I unintentionally glided... Definitely needed stitches but I didn't go to the doctor...Its still healing

5.) Took a hockey stick blow to the head 2 days ago. Bled a bit.

None of these are bad injuries...Mostly non-extreme stuff...But I still voted yes with an eye on the future...I've been lucky that I haven't broken my ankles yet...but I was involved in a hockey collision where the other guy ended up with plates and screws in his hip and femur...

Comment

I voted no because my worst injury was a mouse on my shin (along with bruised legs, arms, knees, and hands) that I obtained as a result of being taken out from a cab door that was swung open as I was riding by (my fault for stupidly passing on the right of a cab that had pulled over to let a passenger out)... but I healed pretty quickly and was riding again in a few days because riding was less painful than walking.

I get banged up on a pretty regular basis... but it's all minor scrapes and bruises that heal quickly. I avoid worse injury because I'm pretty good at falling... and I land on my feet most of the time. Even when I can't land (or remain) on my feet... I manage to tuck and roll or otherwise handle the fall in a manner that has enabled me to avoid serious injury (so far, thankfully).

You have a much better chance of avoiding serious injury if you're good at falling, in my opinion. While avoiding "extreme" riding will minimize your chances of getting hurt... even an awkward fall from something as simple as backwards riding could cause injury, I suppose. Staying as relaxed as possible always helps. Don't push yourself too hard or ride when you're too tired and you should be fine!
                      "You guys on your uni's are like the bastard step child that's locked away in the basement and comes out and kicks everyone's ass"

- Ray (Ray's MTB)

Comment

I voted no.

The only injury i had was pedal bite (onza) while riding downstairs at very high speed and not wearing chin protectors.
                        It was ok after i put a patch on it and it wouldnt have happened if i DID wear the guards.

Generally i have been doing a lots of downhills and trials since i started unicycling (last year) and i had no serious injury at all. I hope it will not change after i learn how to coast and try coasting downhill

Comment

Nothing much in 7 years of riding. I ride in the bush and on some pretty rough tracks. Learning how to either step of or fall helps. The occasional scrapes and bumps and if it wasn't for knee and wrist guards, probably more. Learning mild trials, I really went splat out of control. The protective gear saved me and my knee in particular.

By the way, why do we laugh at the blooper parts of uni videos? Some of those crashes look very painful. NB I don't laugh like all you other sick sense of humour unicyclists

I am almost 53 and either fortunately or unfortunately the chicken factor creeps up as does age. Too many car, whitewater and MTB crashes and a worrying wife can add to the chicken factor.
                          Muniuni
                          Think big, start small
                          www.municycle.com.au

Comment

i went down about a 2 foot drop sitting firmly on the seat and my back is strained/ sprained or something

Comment

You betta go and see someone like a chiropractor etc
                              Muniuni
                              Think big, start small
                              www.municycle.com.au

Comment

did I mention the most serious injury of all?

My social-status is beyond repair.
                                CREEPMACHINE

Comment

Working...
                                X