MUni/Trials article in Kaskade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MUni/Trials article in Kaskade

I just got the lasted issue of Kaskade the European juggling magazine. There is an article by Arne Tilgen on the German MUni and Trials Weekend that took place this past Easter weekend.

It sounds like everyone had a good time and that there was some real talent there. If his comment is to be believed though, the competitions were cancelled due to the presence of Kris Holm who, "everyone agreed...was unbeatable." Kris is this true or is the English translation not quite right?

There was also a TV crew there, but no details were provided.

Apparently username wendino whose real name is Roland and who occasionally posts here, but has lots of posts over in the German unicycling forum was the organizer of the event. There's some discussion over in the German forum. Hmm, and there's a web page here.

If I'm not mistaken this is the first time that MUni and trials have been the focus of a unicycling article in Kaskade which is traditionally more focused on circus arts. Arne Tilgen is the unicycling writer/editor of Kaskade so it is natural that the articles will reflect his (current) interests. My own feelings are that as long as this aspect doesn't dominate the unicycling coverage in Kaskade, it's OK. And on the other hand, the presence of this article in a magazine focused on circus serves to connect MUni/trials unicycling to its origins.

I'd tell you to run out to your newsstand and pick up a copy, but you can't. As always, for those with an interest in juggling and circus arts, Kaskade at $22/year for a US subscription can't be beat. Particularly with the IJA's JUGGLE being at best in limbo at the moment.

Ride 'til it hurts,
    Raphael Lasar
    Matawan, NJ
    Raphael Lasar

To Plotz is Human
    To Shvitz Divine

JJuggle

And on the other hand, the presence of this article in a magazine focused on circus serves to connect MUni/trials unicycling to its origins.
    -----------------------------------------------

I feel the need to put this up for dispute.

My experience of the circus communities attitude to Muni as it developed was one of ridicule. The mountain bike community has been far more respectful.

I know that a fair few of us who are into Muni originally got into it from juggling/freestyle background, but I'm sure there's an equal number who didn't.

I would argue that the true origin of Muni and the related big wheel/touring uni was the early penny farthing pioneers who created the first one wheelers by removing the back one.
    "You can't outrun Death forever.
    But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
    "Last of The Lancers"
    AFC 32

Comment

Originally posted by onewheeldave
      JJuggle

And on the other hand, the presence of this article in a magazine focused on circus serves to connect MUni/trials unicycling to its origins.
      -----------------------------------------------

I feel the need to put this up for dispute.

My experience of the circus communities attitude to Muni as it developed was one of ridicule. The mountain bike community has been far more respectful.

I know that a fair few of us who are into Muni originally got into it from juggling/freestyle background, but I'm sure there's an equal number who didn't.

I would argue that the true origin of Muni and the related big wheel/touring uni was the early penny farthing pioneers who created the first one wheelers by removing the back one.
      Dave,

Thank you. The sentence of mine you quote was deliberately constructed for just this debate. I omitted what I though were clearly the mountain bike influences on MUni which I think are undeniable.

However, you surprised me by going back further to the penny-farthing. I think, it is fair to say that without the removal of the small wheel from the p-f is the origin, but not that it is necessarily the direct influence. Much happened in-between, particularly to reducing of the size of the wheel on unicycles making them more manageable for more uses. But it is also the case that the large wheel as it was in the late 19th century was used for trick riding and circus like demonstrations; it may even have been included in circuses at times. If you can get ahold of Sebastian Hoeher's Unicycling from beginner to expert you will see pictures of this in the history section.

I think, in short, that you're skipping a huge stage in the development of MUni by going all the way back to unicyclings' origin. It's as if, in my opinion, you went back to Bach as the direct origin of the Blues; a lot happened in between that was a more direct influence.

I'm truly sorry to hear that the circus community has been disparaging about MUni. I find this unfortunate. In some sense it is tit-for-tat given the attitude of some here with regard to unicycling within the circus. Still neither attitude is good for the activity of unicycling or the cohesiveness of the community of unicyclists.

Emma and I are off for our Saturday morning ride, so I'll leave it at that for now. There's a lot more to this discussion.

Cheers,
      Raphael Lasar
      Matawan, NJ
      Raphael Lasar

To Plotz is Human
      To Shvitz Divine

Comment

I'm not sure why people continually get this wrong. It is clear that unicycling originated long before bicycles, penny farthings, juggling, and the like. Moreover, the unicycle predates roads, so that it is certain that "off-road" unicycling was the original and truest form of the sport. The informative illustrated history serial entitled "B.C." can be consulted for further information.
        Last edited by U-Turn; 2003-07-12, 03:01 PM.
        Weep in the dojo... laugh on the battlefield.
        -- Dave Stockton

Comment

reality check.

in my experience the only people who seek to isolate unicycling from circus are unicyclists.
          all this "were not clowns" rubbish come from the minds of insecure people.

everybody else seems to realy like unicyclists.
          go to any big juggling convention and you'll see that jugglers like unicyclists.
          although i've never been at a big mountain bike event i've heard many stories about unicyclists having a great time and being made very welcome by mtb folks.
          personaly i get verry well treated when i go to the skate park.
          and i practice at juggling clubs at least three times a week

no, circus people don't hate unicyclists
          --
          evilewan.

see the outdated but still usefull rec.sport.unicycling maintainance FAQ @ http://evilewan.unicyclist.com/

Comment

Originally posted by JJuggle
            I think, it is fair to say that without the removal of the small wheel from the p-f is the origin, but not that it is necessarily the direct influence.
            Wow, this sentence really sucks!

I meant to say (something like): "It is true that without the removal of the small wheel from the p-f you don't have the unicycle, but that is not the immediate influence on the development of MUni."
            Originally posted by U-turn
            I'm not sure why people continually get this wrong. It is clear that unicycling originated long before bicycles, penny farthings, juggling, and the like. Moreover, the unicycle predates roads, so that it is certain that "off-road" unicycling was the original and truest form of the sport. The informative illustrated history serial entitled "B.C." can be consulted for further information.
            As for the above, I paraphrase Dave (GILD) in this thread and ask, why does someone always have to take a perfectly fine serious discussion and make it into a joke? I certainly have never done that.
            Originally posted by evilewan
            in my experience the only people who seek to isolate unicycling from circus are unicyclists.
            And as for the above, though it might be expressed a bit harshly, I have to agree.

Raphael Lasar
            Matawan, NJ
            Last edited by JJuggle; 2003-07-12, 06:39 PM.
            Raphael Lasar

To Plotz is Human
            To Shvitz Divine

Comment

And as for the above, though it might be expressed a bit harshly, I have to agree.

Raphael Lasar
              Matawan, NJ
              harsh?
              i know, the spelling and punctuation was terrible.
              Last edited by evilewan; 2003-07-12, 06:47 PM.
              --
              evilewan.

see the outdated but still usefull rec.sport.unicycling maintainance FAQ @ http://evilewan.unicyclist.com/

Comment

Re: MUni/Trials article in Kaskade

As always, for those with an interest in juggling and circus arts, Kaskade at $22/year for a US subscription can't be beat.
                Oh yeah, this issue also has a page on Vova and Olga Galchenko.

Originally posted by evilewan
                i know, the spelling and punctuation was terrible.
                Not so bad really, just a missing apostrophe from the word "we're". The above however, should be "the spelling and punctuation were terrible."

Raphael Lasar
                Matawan, NJ
                Last edited by JJuggle; 2003-07-12, 07:16 PM.
                Raphael Lasar

To Plotz is Human
                To Shvitz Divine

Comment

evilewan reality check.

everybody else seems to realy like unicyclists.
                  go to any big juggling convention and you'll see that jugglers like unicyclists.
                  although i've never been at a big mountain bike event i've heard many stories about unicyclists having a great time and being made very welcome by mtb folks.
                  personaly i get verry well treated when i go to the skate park.
                  and i practice at juggling clubs at least three times a week

no, circus people don't hate unicyclists
                  -------------------------------------------------------

The 'we're not clowns' issue is actually a seperate matter concerning the perception of people in the street towards unicyclists. This subject has been well covered in other threads.

I never said that jugglers hated unicyclists, but that a proportion of them ridiculed the emerging sport of Muni.

Similarily they ridiculed poi and the other spinning arts in their developing stages.

I'm not at this point complaining about the fact that they tend to ridicule new things, simply saying that I don't see why we should connect the origins of Muni with this community, when they not only did nothing to aid in its development but actually ridiculed it.

If I saw a post implying that the origins of poi lie within the juggling/circus community I would similarly disagree and put forward the facts as I see them.

The facts are that the growth and origins of poi are not down to the juggling/circus community; it is down to the spinners who have put in hours of work to develop these arts.

The origins of Muni are not down to the juggling circus community; it is down to the unicyclists who put in the hours developing new techniques/equipment and refusing to be deterred by the ridicule of others.

Surely the origins of Muni lie with people like Kris Holm and others like him, how many of them juggle?
                  Last edited by onewheeldave; 2003-07-13, 12:28 AM.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
                  "Last of The Lancers"
                  AFC 32

Comment

JJuggle

If you can get ahold of Sebastian Hoeher's Unicycling from beginner to expert you will see pictures of this in the history section.
                    --------------------------------

I have a copy of that book, the pictures that stand out for me are the ones of the guys with massive wheeled, seatless unis lined up for racing. I guess I thought of it as a more suitable origin because they clearly had an attitude of courage and inventiveness; and, after all, these were the first unicycles.

To me Muni is closer the that era than the intervening one of 20" unis being used primarily to entertain audiences. Muni is more about pushing your limits than putting on a show.

-------------------
                    JJuggle

I'm truly sorry to hear that the circus community has been disparaging about MUni. I find this unfortunate. In some sense it is tit-for-tat given the attitude of some here with regard to unicycling within the circus. Still neither attitude is good for the activity of unicycling or the cohesiveness of the community of unicyclists.
                    ------------------------------
                    I'm a little unclear about this, I don't think any unicyclists would object to unicyclists in circuses. What they do sometimes object to is the attitude of the public that unicyclists are clowns/entertainers.

Also the juggling community is fairly seperate from the circus community, I would imagine that most circus people are far too busy to give too hoots abiut what unicyclists think of them.

As I said to evilewan, this is a seperate and well discussed issue in other threads.

I would like to thank you for your open minded response to my initial quibble.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
                    "Last of The Lancers"
                    AFC 32

Comment

Raphael Lasar
                      Matawan, NJ
                      Raphael Lasar

To Plotz is Human
                      To Shvitz Divine

Comment

Re: MUni/Trials article in Kaskade

evilewan <evilewan.qgv0p@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

> reality check.
                        > everybody else seems to realy like unicyclists.
                        > go to any big juggling convention and you'll see that jugglers like
                        > unicyclists.

Um, I go to a big juggling fest and I get the impression that everyone likes
                        unicyclists, they just don't want us riding our unicycles in the gym, or
                        around the campus. They like to see us uni dance at the chelidh and try out
                        danceing stages on a uni, they laugh when we fall off riding across the camp
                        gound and they put up it if we organsie unicycle workshops out side the
                        main halls. In my experience the British Juggling convention has become less
                        and less welcoming to unicyclists, its almost like there are two parallel
                        events going on at times.

Sarah

--
                        Union of UK Unicyclists
                        By and for UK riders
                        www.unicycle.org.uk

Comment

Now you all have piqued my curiosity. I'm sure almost everyone here has heard someone singing circus music as they go by, or been called a clown, etc. And I do respect the difference between clowning and MUni. My question is, how many people here actually do any clowning? I'm a semi-professional clown and a professional balloon twister; in fact, I paid for my new Muni with money I earned through balloon twisting. Anyone else an actual clown?
                          I'm not ashamed to admit who I am. I was voted class clown in High School and most likely to run off and join the circus, and I'm okay with that.
                          Blah Blah Blah BACON Blah Blah Blah
                          --Harper a-la Catboy
                          Still a work in progress . . .

Comment

Re: Re: MUni/Trials article in Kaskade

Not so bad really, just a missing apostrophe from the word "we're".
                            Well there's the crux of the biscuit......
                            Tom Blackwood is like a shadowy figure behind a 36" tree...

Comment

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 21:50:22 -0500, JJuggle <JJuggle.qfnqc@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>There was also a TV crew there, but no details were provided.

The lack of details may have been on purpose. I've heard that the TV crew people were quite rude and tried to take control over the event to the benefit of their shooting.

Klaas Bil

Comment

Working...
                              X