Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unicycle articles (but wait there's more...)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Much inspiring stuff here, but sad to read about accidents, injuries and even deaths.

When I opened Kris Holms Unicycling book, he states that this is potentially dangerous and can led to serious injuries and even death.

Just what have I gotten myself into?

Human gyroscope in training.

Comment

• Originally posted by Up Rite View Post
      Much inspiring stuff here, but sad to read about accidents, injuries and even deaths.

When I opened Kris Holms Unicycling book, he states that this is potentially dangerous and can led to serious injuries and even death.

It just depends on how and where you ride. If you only ride distance then death is out of the question, as long as you are not mauled down by a car or truck ^_^. Doing stunts on factory chimneys hundreds of metres above the ground or along the edge of a dam, you must have a death wish. With careful riding and protection, the chance of serious injuries is pretty small I think.
      My sis rides horses and she had a concussion twice even with a cap and once the horse fell on top of her, leaving her in a wheelchair for 2 months. The chance of being in such a situation on a uni is mighty small. (she thinks riding a uni is scary ^_^)

Comment

• Originally posted by Setonix View Post
        It just depends on how and where you ride. If you only ride distance then death is out of the question, as long as you are not mauled down by a car or truck ^_^. Doing stunts on factory chimneys hundreds of metres above the ground or along the edge of a dam, you must have a death wish. With careful riding and protection, the chance of serious injuries is pretty small I think.
        My sis rides horses and she had a concussion twice even with a cap and once the horse fell on top of her, leaving her in a wheelchair for 2 months. The chance of being in such a situation on a uni is mighty small. (she thinks riding a uni is scary ^_^)
        Some folks think I am a wild and crazy adventurer. In truth I would rather avoid high risk and remain free of serious injury to be able to continue taking on new interesting things.

I am definitely not fearless, one thing that terrifies me: riding in traffic. When I lived in a small town I would ride a motorcycle or bicycle everywhere for transportation, then I moved into a big city. Went through a lot of underwear and eventually took the cowards way out, and stuck to 4 wheels. I haven't ridden any form of cycle for transportation since.

Comment

• Originally posted by Up Rite View Post
          Pretty much any sport that involves moving vehicles. The vast amount of the deadly stuff is easy to avoid. Stay away from cliffs, cars, wild animals, etc....
          Originally posted by Setonix View Post
          ...and once the horse fell on top of her, leaving her in a wheelchair for 2 months. The chance of being in such a situation on a uni is mighty small.
          Add horses to my list above.
          Originally posted by Up Rite View Post
          Went through a lot of underwear and eventually took the cowards way out, and stuck to 4 wheels.
          I know what you mean. I used to work for a motorcycle school in Nassau County, NY, which has a larger population than 13 of the US states. Riding on roads with traffic is an act of faith. Even if you're playing by all the rules and riding as safely as possible, it only takes one idiot on their cell phone to potentially ruin your whole life.
          John Foss
          www.unicycling.com

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"

Comment

• Thanks for posting the article Joe. Greatly enjoyed it and lots of inspiration.
            I think I'm going to be limited to riding my rowing machine this winter due to all the snow, rain, below 0F temps, etc. Makes for an awful lot of ice everywhere.
            Hopefully, I'll be in shape to start practicing again next spring/summer.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnfoss View Post
              Pretty much any sport that involves moving vehicles. The vast amount of the deadly stuff is easy to avoid. Stay away from cliffs, cars, wild animals, etc....
              Add horses to my list above.
              I know what you mean. I used to work for a motorcycle school in Nassau County, NY, which has a larger population than 13 of the US states. Riding on roads with traffic is an act of faith. Even if you're playing by all the rules and riding as safely as possible, it only takes one idiot on their cell phone to potentially ruin your whole life.
              Horses have a mind of their own, any animal is unpredicatable. I don't want to be on one if it goes into panic mode etc.

I have known too many good people who ended up as statistics due to traffic mishaps. I had too many close calls before those things were around. The cell phone has to be the worst thing that has ever happened to driving. The replacement of most automobiles with 100% self driving computerized units can't happen soon enough. I am sure that the number of vehicular accidents would be dramatically reduced.

I would love to cycle as transportation, but don't want to risk becoming road pizza. Cycle theft is also a much bigger problem than car theft. When self driving cars becoming the norm, it would be a lot safer for everyone, especially cyclists.

While I am all for learning better control of the unicycle, I have a motorcycle trials background and love to challenge obstacles. Still, there are some things I would never do even if I had the skill. I am sure we have all seen the examples of those riding on a narrrow edge with a huge gravity cavity where failure equals certain death. I'll pass and increase my odds of being around for another day.

Comment

• A local news story: Somerset unicyclist completes round-the-world trip
                https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-44977806
                http://www.redpedals.co.uk
                "I'm riding a unicycle with my pants down. This should be every boy's dream." - Bart Simpson

Comment

• The movie that I made recently triggered an keyword-alert to a journalist, who asked me for the story:

English translation (with funny errors):
                  https://translate.google.com/transla...er-zeelandbrug

Original article in Dutch:
                  https://www.onseilandschouwen.nl/nie...er-zeelandbrug
                  Last edited by leo; 2019-10-17, 04:38 PM. Reason: added url
                  unicycle.show
                  unicycle.blog
                  unicycle.builders
                  +1 866 UNI-CYCL

Comment

• This just came out online in the Wall Street Journal this morning October 10th, 2019. It will also be in print in their newspaper tomorrow and is available Nationwide and in several other countries. It has a total US circulation of over 4.5 million. That should give our sport a a pretty good boost of recognition!

https://www.wsj.com/articles/hes-gon...s&page=1&pos=1

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191020_062806.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	2461825
                    Last edited by MuniAddict; 2019-10-20, 03:50 PM.
                    Happy Birthday Terry! Every year you get cooler, younger and unicyclier!
                    Be our muniprohpet for many years more.
                    -Dani Buron

Website
                    Videos
                    Facebook

Comment

• Wall street journal

Hey that's great Terry, Thanks from us all! What a representation. the gif is great too.

Comment

• Originally posted by lobbybopster View Post
                        hey that's great terry, thanks from us all! What a representation. The gif is great too.
                        👍🙂
                        -Dani Buron

Website
                        Videos
                        Facebook

Comment

• Wow that is pretty cool, Big congrats to you Terry
                          Keep on Keeping on and stay up there in that group that inspires us all
                          to keep going
                          24" Torker LX
                          29" UDC Trainer
                          32" UDC trainer

Comment

• How do I see the article without subscribing?

Comment

• Originally posted by mrfixit View Post
                              How do I see the article without subscribing?
                              https://www.wsj.com/articles/hes-gon...mobilewebshare
                              -Dani Buron

Website
                              Videos
                              Facebook

Comment

Working...
                              X