Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unicycle articles (but wait there's more...)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Way to represent, PM! Great photos!

In other news, here's a local write-up for a group ride we had a couple weeks ago. Thanks to Chuck Tourdot (gdrambler) (Augie's dad -- "minimuni").

http://www.fullertonobserver.com/ (go to page 8)

Here's an image of the story, so it will exist after the link goes dead:
    Attached Files
    "I'm a unicyclist. I make my own reality."

Comment

• www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/14274830.Twice_the_fun_on_half_the_bike_for_thrill_seeking_ten_year_olds _who_unicycle_to_school

Twice the fun on half the bike for thrill-seeking ten-year-olds who unicycle to Scholes Village Primary School
      Rhys Thomas, T&A Reporter / Sunday 14 February 2016

A PAIR of 'adrenaline seeking' ten-year-olds are causing quite a stir by making their way to and from school on unicycles.

Talented year five pupils Jake Rayner and Sam McGurk delight passers-by as they pedal between their homes in Wyke and Scholes Village Primary, near Cleckheaton.

The duo took only a few months to learn how to ride their unicycles - and now it's just like riding a bike for them, said Jake's mum Jodie Rayner.
      Mrs Rayner said: "At first I was terrified by it. I followed him at first because I dropped off other children I child-mind.

School friends Jake Rayner (left) and Sam McGurk use unicycles to get to school

"But I am confident enough now for them to both go on them on their own.
      "It is strange to see. I pass them and you see work people in vans laughing.

"They only took a couple of months to get the hang of it.

"I am definitely impressed. It makes me chuckle how people tend to slow down and point. They won't have seen it before.

"I have put him on Facebook for friends and family and they love it. They have said we should get them into the circus - Jake wants some batons next!"

School friends Jake Rayner (left) and Sam McGurk use unicycles to get to school

She added: "They both decided that they would practice on them at home so they would then be able to go to school on them. It didn't take them long to get the hang of it - now there's no stopping them, it's just like they are on a normal bike.

"They just pedal and pedal until they get to school. They used to go to school on normal bikes.

"It is a great way for the boys to get exercise - they will have massive leg muscles.

"They have learned to do bunny hops on them as well!"

Mrs Rayner said she and Jake's dad John had tried to master the unicycle themselves.

"Sober and drunk, we still cannot do it," she said, before adding that Jake's sister Charlie, 12, thinks her brother's talent is "good".

"His dad is more impressed," said Mrs Rayner. "He has tried and given up. We are too scared of cracking our heads."

Jake got his unicycle for Christmas in 2014 and now has two. Sam got his midway through 2015.

"Jake is mad on looking on YouTube. He always wants something new to excite him.

"He looks on YouTube for different things and found unicycles.

"He always likes a challenge and to try something new. He wanted a pogo stick at one point, but I stopped that because he wanted to do flips off walls and stuff like that.

"He is a bit of an adrenaline junkie like that and Sam rides motorbikes in competitions."

Jake and Sam are now hoping to enter their school's annual School's Got Talent competition.
      http://www.redpedals.co.uk
      "I'm riding a unicycle with my pants down. This should be every boy's dream." - Bart Simpson

Comment

• That one is great! Check those kids

There's always one downer comment moaning about helmets in the comments though. Some people will find ANYTHING to moan about.
        “It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Danny Colyer View Post
          They have said we should get them into the circus
          I had assumed that selling your kids to the circus was looked down on these days.
          Unicycling is the fountain of youth.

Comment

• TCUC hockey night

The Minneapolis Star-Tribune visited the weekly Twin Cities Unicycle Club hockey night. Slideshow and video included.

http://www.startribune.com/hockey-on...key/368081391/

I'll cut and paste the article:

It’s a familiar sound in Minnesota: ice hockey sticks click-clacking as two players face off in pursuit of the puck. But in this game, the players don’t skate on blades. They glide around on a single wheel.

Enter the world of unicycle hockey — a fast-paced game that draws a small band of intergenerational, one-wheeled wonders to a church basement gym to practice their riding skills while putting a new, er, spin on a quintessential Minnesota sport.

Every other Sunday, members of the Twin Cities Unicycle Club — the largest club of its kind in the country — hold hockey scrimmages at St. Matthew Lutheran Church in Columbia Heights.

There are two main objectives:

Put the puck in the net.

And smile. You’re on a unicycle, after all.

Each team has five players, balancing on unicycles and leaning slightly forward in their seats. With hockey sticks in hand, they pedal furiously from one end of the court to the other.

Sometimes they fall. But injuries are rare, and there is no fighting. No checking, either.

“It’s happy hockey,” said Julie Kovacic, a unicycle hockey mom who drove in from Hudson, Wis., on a recent Sunday with her daughter, Shelley, who played goalie much of the night.

Goalies have the toughest job. They must idle the whole game, rolling back and forth to stay up while guarding the net.

Shelley Kovacic, 17, kept her balance by hopping up and down on her unicycle. Soon, she faced an attack by the opposing team, whose members were passing to one another as they headed full speed toward her. She blocked a shot, and the puck — technically, a tennis ball — rolled into a corner. The players rolled after it, jostling with one another.

Nearby, a little girl on a pink unicycle kept time. Staring at her smartphone, she counted down the final seconds of the seven-minute game. “5-4-3-2-1. Eeeeh!” she yelled, mimicking the sound of a buzzer.

A fresh line of unicyclists entered the court for the next game. In all, they played for two hours.

Origins of the game

Just how long the sport has been around is anybody’s guess.

The earliest record of people tooling around on unicycles while playing hockey comes from a silent film clip made in 1925, according to the HockeyGods website. Another early reference to the game appears in a 1960 Bicycle Journal article about a New Mexico unicycling club.

National unicycle hockey competitions are a more recent phenomenon. The first one was held in London in 1988.

Minnesota was the epicenter of the unicycling world in 1994, when it hosted the World Unicycling Championships. This also marked the first time that unicycle hockey was a championship event, the folks at HockeyGods say.

The sport is gaining traction in Europe, where there are national leagues in Germany, the United Kingdom and Switzerland.

On this side of the unfrozen pond, unicycling has been paired with other popular sports — football and basketball, to name a few. But in the Land of 10,000 Ice Rinks, it’s unicycle hockey that rules.

“The club used to play unicycle basketball, but that died off,” said Mike Schatz, president of the local club and an avid unicycle hockey fan.

Julie Kovacic, center, dropped the ball as Irene Genelin and Garrett Macey faced off to start a unicycle hockey match at St. Matthew Lutheran Church in Columbia Heights.

Family fun

“This is my favorite workout,” he said, sweating on the sidelines between games. “It’s fast-paced. It’s a challenge. You’re riding all the time.”

He started unicycling at 42. It took him about 50 to 100 hours to master it. “It’s the hardest thing I ever learned to do,” he said.

But unicycling is something everyone can learn, insisted Connie Cotter, who has been involved with the Twin Cities club since it started about 30 years ago. What’s the secret?

“Perseverance,” she said, smiling.

Sure, she fell lots of times when she started, but the good thing, she said, is that, unlike with a bicycle, when you fall, you tend to land on your feet because you’re falling forward.

The Twin Cities club counts among its members some of the best riders in the world. Cotter once held the world record for jump-roping on a unicycle. (She logged 169 skips in one minute.)

For Cotter and other members, the club is a family affair. Although she doesn’t play unicycle hockey, she was there on a recent Sunday to cheer on her brother, Andy, and sister-in-law, Irene Genelin.

Andy Cotter has been all over the world with his unicycle and even met his wife through the club. Genelin has attained the equivalent of black belt status as a unicyclist — the only Twin Cities rider to reach the highest skill level. (There are 10 skill levels.)

The hockey nights attract players with a mix of skill levels and ages. Eleven-year-old Will Hugo was the youngest rider in this game. His brother, Ben, 18, also plays.

“I was born into it,” Will said of his entry into the unicycling world. He especially enjoys playing hockey on one wheel. “It’s really fun. You get to see your friends,” he said.

As with ice hockey, speed is a valued skill. That, and a good command of the unicycle.

“You have to be able to ride without thinking about it,” said Garrett Macey of St. Paul, another regular player.

Toward the end of the night, the intensity level kicked up as the puck rolled toward one end of the court. Five riders chased after it at full speed. One of them skidded to a stop, crashing into another rider and setting off a massive pileup near the net.

“Ohhh,” a collective groan echoed in the gym.

A rider who had crashed into the net picked up his fallen unicycle, hopped back on it and resumed play. You might say he rolled with it.

Comment

• Irene Genelin isn't the only level 10 rider from TCUC

Interesting read.
              Originally posted by UnderTheLake View Post
              Genelin has attained the equivalent of black belt status as a unicyclist — the only Twin Cities rider to reach the highest skill level. (There are 10 skill levels.)
              I think that is incorrect. At some point in time ALL level 10 riders (totalling 9 at the time) were from TCUC. Maybe there are non-TCUC level 10 riders by now, but regardless, Irene isn't the only one originating from TCUC. Perhaps she is the only current TCUC member of level 10 status.
              Last edited by Klaas Bil; 2016-02-29, 02:24 PM.

Comment

• As big and awesome as TCUC is, I think I'm about the only member that is regularly on this site. I can neither confirm nor deny any level 10 status. I'm rockin' level 2, if anyone is keeping score.

Comment

• March 6, 2016 East Oregonian

Joe Myers mentioned at the end of this article is bungeejoe here on unicyclist.com

March 6, 2016 East Oregonian - Echo Red 2 Red

Red 2 Red reverberates across Echo
                  Mountain bike race brings attention to small town.
                  Antonio SierraEast Oregonian
                  Published on March 5, 2016 12:01AM
                  Last changed on March 5, 2016 9:48PM

For one day each March, Echo’s population grows by more than half and the primary mode of transportation becomes the bicycle.

Four-hundred-and-four cyclists from across the West descended on the small town Saturday for the eighth annual Echo Red 2 Red Cross Country Mountain Bike Race.

Although it has since moved to Pendleton, Echo Bike & Board returned to its namesake town to help organize the race.

Echo Bike & Board co-owner Stephanie Myers said Red 2 Red is the Northwest’s first major mountain bike race of the season, given that most other bike trails are covered in snow or bogged down in mud.

The field was divided into several groups based on skill level, age, gender and duration of ride, with options to bike 12 miles, 25 miles or the entire 32 mile course.

Myers said organizers change the layout of the course each year, meaning there are no Red 2 Red records to be set or broken.

By noon every group was on the course, which takes cyclists through the heart of Lloyd Piercy’s Echo West vineyards.

In return for the physical punishment of the grueling course, race participants are given scenic views of the Umatilla River and the high desert.

Driving through the vineyards Saturday, Piercy said he views himself as a steward of the land, which is one of the reasons he allowed organizers Shayne Myers, Stephanie’s husband, and Brian Cimmiyotti to build the course 10 years ago.

Before then, Piercy used the area as a cattle pasture, but he has since removed the cows to give cyclists a sense of the high desert’s natural beauty.

Before returning to Echo, Piercy stopped by an area looking over the Umatilla River, where Kenji Sugahara was flying a drone that was taking video of the race.

Sugahara, executive director of the Oregon Bike Racing Association and a member of the state’s tourism commission, said Eastern Oregon was one of his favorite parts of the state and was an ideal place for a bike race.

While operating drones was more of a hobby, Sugahara said he was happy to use video footage that could draw tourism to the area.

“Rural Oregon needs as much economic help as it can get,” he said.

Piercy agreed with Sugahara’s assessment, saying events like Red 2 Red and businesses like his own Sno Road Winery bring much needed economic development to a city that’s been hit hard by the mechanization of the agriculture industry.

Taking home first place for finishing the entire course, was Red 2 Red newcomer Jamey Yanik of Boise, Idaho, who finished all 32-miles in a little over two hours.

The former pro had just started to get back into competitive cycling and wasn’t expecting to take home the top prize on such a tough course.

“It’s such a long day and hard day, you just take what your body gives you,” the 39-year-old said.

Faced with an even harder task was 59-year-old Joe Myers, uncle of Shayne Myers.

The Bellingham, Wash. resident traveled the entire course on a unicycle, known as “municycling”

While he used to start with the rest of the pack, the laborious nature of municycling meant he was forced to leave the course before he could finish.

So this year, he started at 6:10 a.m. and spent the next seven hours going over a course that exhausted most two-wheel riders.

Joe’s response to the greatest challenge of the Red 2 Red course was simple.

“Finishing,” he said.

———

Contact Antonio Sierra at asierra@eastoregonian.com or 541-966-0836.
                  You cannot teach a man anything, you can only help him find it within himself....

Comment

• bungeejoe had a hard ride but he did it!!! That's my Superman!!!!
                    IT'S ALL FUN AND GAMES UNTILL SOMEONE LOSES THEIR WIENER.

Comment

• Wow, that's amazing! Congrats to Joe!
                      "I'm a unicyclist. I make my own reality."

Comment

• Ride a unicycle if you want better ideas

The article is from 2014, but I hadn't seen it before.

Url: http://creativesomething.net/post/85...t-better-ideas

Article:

Ride a unicycle if you want better ideas

Posted May 15th, 2014

On my drive into the office this morning, I passed a man riding a unicycle on the street.

In addition to balancing on the single-wheeled mechanism, his arms stretched out wide so that the bright blue sleeves of his button-up shirt poked out from his coat jacket, the man was carrying a briefcase in one hand and a cup of coffee in the other.

I imagine many people would reaction to the scene with slight awe and some humor.

But I felt neither of those things because, some year ago, my father decided (notably on a weekend whim) to learn to ride a unicycle himself.

I had almost forgotten him, leaning against our then-white garage door, attempting to seat himself on his unicycle all-the-while laughing gleefully at how incredibly difficult it is to even get atop a unicycle, until I saw the unicycle man this morning.

A unicycle is a very difficult thing to learn to ride.

The trick, my father and I would quickly learn, isn’t to set the unicycle upright and attempt to “jump” onto it as you might a bicycle. If you jump onto it, the unicycle would simply roll back or forward from your momentum, resulting in a very quick fall one way or the other. Instead, to mount a unicycle, you must move forward with it ” the seat firmly between your legs while the wheel rests out in front of you on the ground – so that the momentum of your body moving upright propels the wheel itself forward, rather than the seat post.

What does any of this have to do with creativity exactly?

Well, my father never fully learned to ride the unicycle. He did eventually ride it, but not very well. Within a few days of his triumphant rolling forward, he got rid of the unicycle, or tucked it so far deep into that garage that us kids never saw it again.

But that was my father for you. One weekend he would decide to install a new water pipeline around the house, without having ever worked with water lines in his life. He built things with his hands, repaired everything on his own, took-up new and wild hobbies sporadically. His reasoning was always everything is easier once you start.

And this is where I believe I got much of my own drive to be creative.

Years into my teenage life my father decided, again on a weekend whim, that he would build a modern home on his own, from scratch. It took him many, many months (some of which involved battling with city agents to approve the legitimacy of the electrical or gas work). But he did it. The house was built in a rural part of Mississippi, which was eventually blasted by a devil of a hurricane, only years after the home was completed.

Unlike my father’s interest in riding a unicycle, the house survived.

And with it my father learned how to build a home. Not just any-old home, but a very elegant and strong home. I remember him telling me, one afternoon while we sat out on the humid porch, how he had designed the concrete of the porch to be ever-so-slightly slanted, unnoticeably so. His reasoning was that, whenever the porch would get dirty he could simply hose it off. The water and grime would run right off. Clean-up was a breeze. “That’s a benefit to doing it yourself,” he would tell me, “you can make it however you want into whatever you want.”

Like my father, his father before him built a home a dozen decades ago. I believe that’s where my father got his own drive to pursue weekend projects like this, to learn new and random hobbies, to do and make and believe that he could do it without guidance or any previously know-how.

It’s this belief in oneself that I see again and again in the creative greats.

To be powerfully creative you have to first believe that you can be.

The artists who not only paint, but put on gallery shows, who travel to New York to mingle with MoMA curators. The writers who don’t stop writing in the face of great criticism or when publishers repeatedly decline to publish their years of hard work. They do these things not because they have any idea what they’re doing, but because they have a drive to do, to try, to build their life however they can, into whatever they can.

Great creativity requires that we believe we can do it all, and that we build our interest in exploring and creating.

Whether it’s a weekend whim to learn to ride a unicycle, or a year we dedicate to building a home, writing a book, learning to program, contacting every gallery in Manhattan to hang our art, or something similar. The more we take-up new and interesting things, the more fuel we give our brains for creativity.

I’m reminded of this excellent quote from Todd Henry’s book The Accidental Creative. Henry writes:

The trick to having good ideas is not to sit around in glorious isolation and try to think big thoughts. The trick is to get more parts on the table.
                        What parts are you putting on the table for your ideas? Metaphorically or literally.

The first part of the process of adding more parts to the table is believing you can do almost anything if you put your mind to it. The second part is finding something to be interested in, then pursuing it to the best of your ability. Put knowledge and experience into your mind as you would individual parts on a table. The more you add, the more you have to play with.

Sure, my father never learned to efficiently ride a unicycle, but the day he got up and rode it a few feet in front of our house, that was all he needed to know what it was like and prove to himself (and perhaps us kids) that he could do it. From then on out he knew he could do it.

You can do it too. But it’s not going to be easy, it will take time, and ultimately nobody can be there to do it for you. You have to start.
                        UniMyra's YouTube channel

Comment

• @ UniMyra ...Great post. I found that article very encouraging.

Comment

• Riding on top of 250 m high chimney

A unicyclist by the name of Flaviu Cernesco has ridden the rim of a 250 m high chimney in Romania, hopping over some ledges on the way.
                            My stomach can't stand looking at this.
                            http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-37228413
                            Video included.

Text of the article:

Stuntman rides unicycle on massive chimney in Romania.

2 hours ago

A unicyclist has been performing stunts on top of a chimney in Romania that is 250m high - one of the tallest structures in the city of Targu Jiu.

Flaviu Cernesco, who was not wearing a safety harness, filmed the stunt with a friend and posted it on his YouTube channel.

Comment

• Originally posted by Klaas Bil View Post
                              A unicyclist by the name of Flaviu Cernesco has ridden the rim of a 250 m high chimney in Romania, hopping over some ledges on the way.
                              My stomach can't stand looking at this.
                              Mine either. I sometimes miss a mount when I'm riding on a canal towpath because of some sub-conscious anxiety that I'll veer off into the water. Mind you, he's only on a 20, I'm usually on a 36...

Originally posted by Klaas Bil View Post
                              ...hopping over some ledges on the way...
                              Not to mention wheel-walking and doing all this with a go-pro on a stick.

I notice he's not wearing a helmet either, lunatic.
                              Twitter: @jrwi

"I do very little to ride, no bounce, no flick, no jump. For me it is the quintessential nature of long-distance riding"
                              - Monocyclism, 3/8/16

Comment

• Originally posted by jrwi View Post
                                I notice he's not wearing a helmet either, lunatic.
                                Oh well, that would probably be of no use after a fall of 250 m - so why bother ...

Best regards,
                                Sanne
                                Last edited by Sanne.Kj; 2016-08-31, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X