Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unicycle articles (but wait there's more...)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking good there Sean.
    YouTube [ Videos Here ]

Comment

• Here's an article about Mark Premo, a Vermont, USA unicyclist. Though he's ridden for less than a year, he's already organized his first gathering.

Here's the link.

Here's the text, for when the link dies...

Fun ride event unites unicycle enthusiasts

Published: Friday, May 4, 2007
      By Ashley Matthews
      Free Press Staff Writer

When Mark Premo got sick of mountain biking, he ditched a wheel and pedaled toward a more challenging project.

"Anybody can ride a bike," the Winooski resident said. "Unicycling is unique. There's a challenge to it; there's always something to improve on."

Now that he's hooked on unicycling, Premo, 39, hopes to share his hobby with others at the first Unicycle Fun Ride on Saturday. Premo planned the event in hopes that unicyclists will unite and network. His dream is that unicyclists will meet to ride together every week.

Premo said he expects about 30 people to attend the fun ride, especially because he knows there are a lot of "underground" riders out there. As a UPS driver, he said he often sees unicycles sitting in people's garages as he delivers packages.

It's not easy to ride a unicycle, and it takes time to master, Premo said. It requires balance, physical strength and stamina. Unlike bike riding, riders can't coast on a unicycle. But, he said, the difficulty is part of the fun.

Premo's girlfriend, Dawn DiCecco of Shelburne, recently took up unicycling, and she's just starting to get her balance. As she rode in a parking lot this week, she used her car for support as she climbed on. She had a few false starts, slipping off the seat, but eventually DiCecco got her balance and rode holding hands with Premo.

"Once you start, you feel like you've just got to master it," DiCecco said. "It's addictive."

Premo said he also hopes to break the stereotype that unicycles are associated with the circus.

"People associate clowns with unicycles," Premo said. "I hate that. I mean, nothing against clowns if they want to juggle and stuff, but I just want to get away from that."

Instead of juggling, Premo takes his unicycle off-road, which is called "muni." Last year he rode 6 miles in the Appalachian Gap, and in June he plans to muni on Whiteface Mountain in New York. He recently returned from a "Muni Weekend" in Long Island, where he spent his days off-roading on a cycle with a thick, supportive tire. Premo has five unicycles, for use on the road, off-road and one with a small wheel for use inside.

"You can do a lot of stuff on a unicycle," Premo said. "It's the new skateboard. People are jumping off stuff. It's incredible."
      steveyo
      ...like having your own personal rollercoaster...

- a few uni race write-ups
      - muni and kokopelli uni t-shirts, mugs and stickers

Comment

• Extreme film takes YouTube by storm
        South Lakes Citizen
        445 words
        15 May 2007
        Newsquest Media Group Newspapers
        English
        © Copyright 2007 Newsquest Digital Media.

No Cycling's father-son unicycle team of Simon and Aaron Rolph are suprised by popularity.

A MOVIE featuring the lesser-known sport of extreme unicycling - which was made for the Kendal Mountain Film Festival - has become an unexpected Internet hit.

No Cycling follows Cumbrian father and son team Simon and Aaron Rolph as they race down Lakeland mountain tracks on unicycles, performing daredevil tricks and jumps as they make their high-speed descent.

The film was made by Manchester-based company Chateau Productions for last year's Kendal Film Festival and, thanks to popular video-

sharing website YouTube it has reached a massive new audience and has been watched by more than 460,000 people.

Mr Rolph junior, who is 18 and lives near Carlisle, said he had been taken by surprise at how popular the film had become.

"I didn't realise it had been put on YouTube but it is great that people have picked up on it," said Mr Rolph.

"I started juggling a long time ago and then I bought a unicycle. I am also into outdoor sports such as mountain biking so I thought it would be a good idea to combine the two. It was difficult to learn from the beginning but once you get into it is really good fun.

"We have been down mountains such as Helvellyn and Skiddaw and thankfully have had no major mishaps or broken bones as yet," he added.

Rob Hewson of Chateau Productions said the film had been "challenging but good fun" to shoot.

"It was our first ever film which we made as part of a BBC film school course and was specifically for the Extreme Film School part of the Kendal Mountain Festivals," said Mr Hewson.

"I think one of the reasons it has taken off is the unusual aspect of extreme unicycling. I don't think many people will have heard of it before and it tends to be the weird and wonderful sort of things that catch on, on YouTube."

Director of the Extreme Film School and leading adventure film maker Brian Hall said he was delighted No Cycling had become an overnight success.

"The success of YouTube provides a valuable medium for film makers to get their work to a wider audience and many other Extreme Film School shorts are on there and doing very well," said Mr Hall.

"It is also good for Kendal and the Lake District as one of the stipulations of the Extreme Film School is that films are shot within a 15-mile radius of Kendal."
        Raphael Lasar

To Plotz is Human
        To Shvitz Divine

Comment

• Fun for one Lake Villa man enjoys unicycling for fitness, relaxation
          Jason King
          674 words
          15 May 2007
          Chicago Daily Herald
          © 2007 Chicago Daily Herald. Provided by ProQuest Information and Learning. All Rights Reserved.

It's big.

It's yellow.

And it's not for the faint of heart.

But Bruce Williams loves his unicycle.

"I guess I do it for the challenge. You're always in an adrenaline rush," Williams said. "With a unicycle, you have to stay awake."

Lake County residents have likely seen Williams, of Lake Villa, peddling his "Coker" unicycle in and around the bike trails and some neighborhoods in the area.

An avid cyclist who often logged 5,000 miles on his two-wheeled bikes each year, Williams saw a television show three years ago that showcased the sport of "MUni," or mountain unicycling, a cousin to mountain biking.

"I thought if they can ride and jump logs and things like that, I should be able to ride around here," he said.

After a few Internet searches, Williams decided to start with a standard 24-inch unicycle.

The hardest part, he said, was getting on the thing, but after a week he could ride the distance of his front yard, and within a month he was riding it around the block.

His confidence, and gumption, grew.

"I knew that once I rode around the block I could ride one forever," he said.

But he quickly found out that peddling a 24-inch wheel was a lot of work.

"Five miles on that little one was a lot of effort," he said.

So he went back to the internet and found his "Coker."

Named Cokers after the company that makes the huge, 36-inch tires, they're unlike most unicycles people have seen.

When you see Williams riding, you know it's him. Ignoring the fact that he is, as far as he knows, the only Coker distance ride in Lake County, you can't miss him.

The formerly chrome frame of his unicycle is bright yellow, and has flames painted on it. Williams had it custom painted.

He's typically wearing a brightly colored cycling jersey, cycling shorts and wrist and knee pads. Because his "bike" doesn't have a frame, he wears a hydration pack on his back.

With the size of the wheel, and his own height, it's not far of a stretch to say he looks like a psychedelic, high-speed giraffe.

He admits he gets plenty of attention when out riding.

"You wouldn't believe how many people honk and wave or hang out the window taking pictures with their cell phone," he said.

Equally attention grabbing is the way he mounts the bike.

After setting the pedals a certain way, Williams takes a standing leap, shoves the seat where it should go and then puts his feet on the pedals and takes off.

"That's the hardest part," he said. "You have to just sort of jump and get your feet on the pedals just right."

The unicycle is outfitted with a cycling computer, which keeps track of things like distance and speed. A check of his computer showed Williams had pedaled 420 miles so far this year. He also noted he averages around 12 miles per hour on it.

"Last year I put 1,503 miles on it," he said. "This year I'm hoping for 2,000."

But Williams, a computer programmer and married father of three, said the hobby isn't solely about fitness. Fitness, he said, is often times the secondary benefit of it.

"It's about relaxation. I can get out on the trails and mentally relax," he said. "My wife says, 'How is that relaxing?' But it's the most peaceful hour of my day."

Caption: gluniguy-1na050807pv Lake Villa resident Bruce Williams heads out to ride his 36-inch wheel unicycle on the trails at the Rollins Savanna in Grayslake. PAUL VALADE/pvalade@@dailyherald.com gluniguy-2na050807pv Bruce Williams said he enjoys driving his unicycle on the trails at the Rollins Savanna. PAUL VALADE/ pvalade@@dailyherald.com
          Raphael Lasar

To Plotz is Human
          To Shvitz Divine

Comment

• Word has it this was on the front page of the Seattle Times today.

David Weichenberger, visiting from Austria, zooms ahead of his friends on an oversized unicycle in Bellevue's Mercer Slough Nature Park. Weather suitable for unicycle riding or other outdoor fun is ahead for Memorial Day weekend, with temperatures forecast in the mid- to upper 60s.

He rode with us at Blackwood's Ride 'N Feed last weekend. Great Trials rider!
            Steve

Hop Drop & Roll

“If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your
            shortwave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.” – Homer

Comment

• Originally posted by UniBrier
              Great Trials rider!

He also won first place in the extreme downhill at UNICON last summer.

We got to visit and ride with him briefly a few weeks ago when he spent a few days in Minnesota.
              New Blog:Unicycle Nation

What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty or democracy? ~Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

• i think david is a little drunk in that picture... and is that dan heaton and mike clark in the background on bikes???

Comment

• Originally posted by UniBrier
                  Word has it this was on the front page of the
                  That's my old Coker riding loop when I was living in Bellevue. That's a fun section of trail there on the boardwalk. Gets slippery though when wet. I've always wanted to get a picture of myself riding my Coker on that boardwalk. Makes for a nice Coker riding picture. Just haven't managed yet to drag someone else along with me on that ride to take the picture. We'll have to do a SARS ride there so I can get a picture.
                  john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
                  Team Never Wash Your Muni
                  My Gallery :: Unicycling Bookmark List :: World Clock

Comment

• How did his trials uni get transformed into a 36"???

David was also on the front page of the Durango, COL newspaper, I think. I don't have the link though...

Wait maybe I do. http://einradfreak.twoday.net/stories/3494151/

http://www.durangoherald.com
                    Last edited by forrestunifreak; 2007-05-25, 06:33 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by forrestunifreak
                      How did his trials uni get transformed into a 36"???

David was also on the front page of the Durango, COL newspaper, I think. I don't have the link though...

Wait maybe I do. http://einradfreak.twoday.net/stories/3494151/

http://www.durangoherald.com
                      direct link to article in english.

Comment

• I wonder where David is at now? It was a fun week when he was over. =p
                        Just bumming around MR~~~~~~~~~Team Forrest~~~~~~~~~Team Dirty Bird!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        Check out my Band.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~!Quack!~~~~Team Spencer!~~~Member of the MRIS.
                        Want some advice? Do better.
                        ~Jerrick

Comment

• Originally posted by zfreak220
                          Thanks, I thought I posted the direct link, but I guess not.

Copy/paste:

David Weichenberger of Austria performed some of his tricks Wednesday at the Durango Skate Park. The world-class unicyclist is traveling through Durango as part of a three-month-long trek across the United States.

"There are so many things that you can do," he said. "For me, it's a sport. I try to do it as much as I can."

The 22-year-old competed last weekend at Unifest, a unicycling event held on the slick rock in Moab, Utah. There, he met a Durango family who invited him to stay with them through at least Friday.

Peter Schertz, a member of that family, said having Weichenberger in town has given inspiration to other unicyclists, including those of an informal unicycling group that he and his son belong to.

"It gives them self-confidence," Schertz said about Weichenberger's unicycling prowess.

Peter's son, Evan Schertz, 9, who has been unicycling for two years, said the sport is more challenging and unique than riding a regular bike.

"It's a good way to exercise," Evan said. "It's definitely different than a bike."

Weichenberger has been atop unicycles for 11 years. He has won numerous competitions, including the 2006 downhill in Tokyo and the 2004 long jump in Switzerland. He stars in a DVD called "Union." In one scene, Weichenberger rides on a railroad track, jumps to the other track and keeps riding.

He makes it a point to visit different towns and hang out with other unicyclists to learn different styles. Riders in every town seem to develop their own styles, he said.

"I decided if they don't come to me, I'll go to them."
                          sigpic

Comment

• The Wheel World; There's nowhere Victoria's Kris Holm can't go on his unicycle
                            29 May 2007
                            National Post
                            (c) 2007 National Post . All Rights Reserved.

On one wheel, Victoria native Kris Holm has conquered 14 countries, including the summit of the highest mountain in Central America.

One of the world's top mountain unicyclists, Holm began to ride in 1986. Since then, he has brought the sport to audiences around the world through adventure films and TV appearances. In February, he appeared on CBS Evening News, where he proudly admitted to having "more scars than skin."

Holm says he loves to combine unicycling with climbing and adventure travel. Last year, he climbed the summit crater of Licancabur, a 5,920-metre high inactive volcano in Bolivia. The terrain would have been straightforward at sea level, Holm explains, but the elevation and resulting exhaustion made it extremely difficult.

In 1998, Holm broke into the business of designing high-end unicycles by establishing Kris Holm Unicycles Ltd. He balances his work on one wheel with a career as a geoscientist in natural hazard and risk assessment in Vancouver.

On these pages, National Post's Brent Foster followed Holm on the trails of Mount Fromme and the beaches at Spanish Banks in Vancouver.
                            Raphael Lasar

To Plotz is Human
                            To Shvitz Divine

Comment

• An article on this year's LBI Unithon.

ALO Fundraiser has money rolling in.
                              Raphael Lasar

To Plotz is Human
                              To Shvitz Divine

Comment

• Sport - The wheel thing Andrew Shields takes a well- balanced look at unicycle sports - and finds that while you don't have to be intelligent to play them, you soon will be
                                Andrew Shields, andrewshields@timeout.com
                                521 words
                                7 June 2007
                                Time Out
                                English
                                Copyright 2007. Time Out Communications Limited.

While the British education system comes up with league tables, SATs, fines for errant parents and airport-style knife screening as ways to boost academic attainment, maybe we should just learn from Japan. When research showed that unicycling helped improve concentration, balance and co-ordination and could significantly aid physical and mental development, the Japanese Education Department went for it big-time. In 1992, unicycling became part of the curriculum for primary-age pupils. Every year, 2,000 Miyata unicycles are donated to schools for teaching so that now more than one million Japanese can ride on one wheel.

What to do, though, when you've mastered pedalling forwards and, er, backwards? Some gravitate towards circus skills such as juggling, others seek a more competitive angle. The first World Unicycling Championships took place in New York in 1984 while the most recent, in Switzerland in 2006, included basketball, long-distance racing and orienteering. Late last year, Oregon was the venue for the inaugural World Unicycle Cyclocross Championships.

Ingenuity knows no bounds - clearly a result of all the brain cells these single-wheelers are boosting. However, hockey is the unicycle sport played most widely. It's a good way to improve basic skills, speed and manoeuvrability and is based on ice hockey - but with much less contact. The set-up is simple: five-a-side teams, 6' x4' goals, a basketball court to play on, ice hockey sticks, a low-bouncing ball and rules based largely on common sense. Putting your stick under or through someone else's wheel is a foul.

The origins of the game are obscure. A 1925 German silent movie, 'Variete', includes a scene with two unicyclists. One has a hockey stick, the other a walking stick. There are two tiny goals and what looks like a crumpled towel for a ball. In mid-1970s California, a club called 'Wheel People' kept the flame alive, while the game came to the capital in 1988, with a tournament in Covent Garden as part of the national Telethon charity appeal. Out of that sprang London's own club, the LUNIs - which describes the sport as: 'Skilful. Great exercise. And not at all serious.'

Serious enough, however, for there to be a British League - which starts a new season on Saturday when the LUNIs host the first round at Westway Sports Centre. The event is for organised teams but the club runs sessions every Thursday when complete beginners can have a go. You don't even need to be able to unicycle - learning the basics is part of the package. Children of west London: you have nothing to lose, and possibly several IQ points to gain.

- The British Unicycle Hockey League starts at Westway Sports Centre on Sat. See listings for details. For information on unicycling contact the Union of UK Unicyclists ( www.unicycle.org.uk ) or LUNIs' Jonny Molloy (020 8548 0759).
                                Raphael Lasar

To Plotz is Human
                                To Shvitz Divine

Comment

Working...
                                X