Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unicycle articles (but wait there's more...)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backstory: Peak performance on one wheelhttp://www.csmonitor.com/ slideshows/2006/unicycle/ index.html(c) Copyright 2006. The Christian Science Monitor
    Raphael Lasar

To Plotz is Human
    To Shvitz Divine

Comment

• from The Deseret Morning News, Nov 26, 2006

One-wheel royal ride

Dale Martinez prepares to juggle three Christmas ornaments as he rides his unicycle in Boise's Holiday Parade Saturday. The theme of the parade, a 56-year tradition in Boise, was the "12 Days of Christmas."
      Raphael Lasar

To Plotz is Human
      To Shvitz Divine

Comment

• Originally posted by JJuggle
        [b]The undisputed MUni heavyweight is Ian Holm - a Vancouver-based geomorphologist -
        Ian Holm, huh? Never heard of him!
        http://www.uniproshow.com

One Love Unicycle Club (Coming to Denver soon...)

Comment

• News Paper Article

This just came out today, 12/2/06. I "sold" the story idea to a local paper and they came out this past Thursday to shoot some "action" shots; I wish they would have used the one with Catalina in the background! I invited a local riding buddy, Perry, to join me in the story, and he ended up getting the close-up shot! No accounting for taste...Hahah!

They were supposed to list my email and/or phone number, so that anyone interested in learning to ride and/or join out club could contact me, but of course they left that out! But they *did* mention this website...yay!

Overall I'm happy with the story; I guess anything that we all can do to promote our sport is a good thing! Oh, since there's no online version I could only post some pics of the actual paper version. They're high res enough that you should be able to read nit if you enlarge each pic. (The last one's a bit blurry, but still legible)
          Attached Files
          Last edited by MuniAddict; 2006-12-02, 03:59 PM.
          Happy Birthday Terry! Every year you get cooler, younger and unicyclier!
          Be our muniprohpet for many years more.
          -Dani Buron

Website
          Videos
          Facebook

Comment

• Excellent article you got there!
            Just bumming around MR~~~~~~~~~Team Forrest~~~~~~~~~Team Dirty Bird!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Check out my Band.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~!Quack!~~~~Team Spencer!~~~Member of the MRIS.
            Want some advice? Do better.
            ~Jerrick

Comment

• 60 years of mariage between 2 unicyclist here:

http://www.leamingtonspatoday.co.uk/...icleID=1914397
              unicycle.show
              unicycle.blog
              unicycle.builders
              +1 866 UNI-CYCL

Comment

• Originally posted by leo
                60 years of mariage between 2 unicyclist here:

http://www.leamingtonspatoday.co.uk/...icleID=1914397
                http://www.uniproshow.com

One Love Unicycle Club (Coming to Denver soon...)

Comment

• Unicycle only one part of singular life
                  604 Words
                  4 December 2006
                  The Tucson Citizen
                  English
                  (c) Copyright 2006, The Tucson Citizen. All Rights Reserved.

(Personal information edited out)

Accomplishments: Has learned to ride a unicycle and combine that with her juggling talents for school and private exhibitions. Also has competed in varsity basketball and cross country at Sabino. Involved in drama, choir and orchestra. Have learned to waltz, cha-cha, swing and polka.

How did you happen to start riding a unicycle? I asked for one for Christmas a few years ago. I don't know why; I just wanted something different. I thought it would be cool and I had been riding bikes for a long time.

Did you take instructions? My dad printed out some tips from the Internet, but I didn't really read them. I just tried some different things on it until I got it.

What did you learn right away? The key is just practice. It's something you just have to get used to, like a bike. You can hear tips about how to learn but you really have to learn for yourself. You have to learn how to stay up on it. You move the pedals and try to get the feel of it. I would hold on to something and take a couple of wheels around, then see how far I could go.

How far? A little farther and a little farther each time. You set a line to reach. Then you go farther. It all took about a week (to learn).

How much did you have to practice? Well, I couldn't say "I'm tired, I want to go inside." If I died (without mastering it) I don't want it to be said I was a quitter. So it was one more time, maybe three and I could go inside and be OK.

Did you fall a lot? Is that what it takes? The basic thing is keeping balance, learning not to fall. I fell a few times but nothing serious.

What is the trick to keep from falling? You jump off a unicycle and not let yourself start falling. You jump off and let it go.

How did you start juggling? Before I started the unicycle I needed extra activity for summer P.E. So I started practicing. Then I wanted to do something cool for a school talent show so I did it on the unicycle. It was natural. I started with a few bouncy balls, then clubs then basketballs. I'd reach into a bag while on the unicycle and pull things out. I've done as many as three basketballs.

What other athletic activities have you done? My family (five siblings, three sisters, two brothers) would do team swimming. We ride bikes together (including El Tour de Tucson). In high school, I played basketball (junior year) and made the varsity. This fall I was on the cross country team.

How do you gauge your athletic ability? I'm not a super athlete. I can do a lot of things but not star in anything.

What other activities do you do? Since fourth grade I've played the violin. I play now in the Tucson Philharmonic Youth Orchestra.

What are your college plans? I will attend BYU next year. My parents went there and my sister, Natalie, is a sophomore there. I don't know if I will play sports and I don't know what I will study (specialize in). I know ultimately I want to be a mom.

BRYAN LEE

brylee@tucsoncitizen.com
                  Raphael Lasar

To Plotz is Human
                  To Shvitz Divine

Comment

• He's clean and a scream

By Marc Ramirez
                    Seattle Times staff reporter

OK, here goes: Three guys (a priest, a minister and a rabbi) walk into a comedy club.

And then? Well, they walk right out, covering their ears.

Hark! I bring you tidings of great hilarity, though its source may be mysterious unto thee. Behold the Christian comic, who shalt not cuss, nor speak of topics unholy, nor take the Lord's name in vain. Come unto him, and he shall give you jest.

And ye shall say: Ha-hallelujah.

Impossible, you say, but do not forget: To everything, there is a season. A time to laugh, a time to cry, and a time to juggle while riding a unicycleunicyclemramirez@seattletimes.com
                    Steve

Hop Drop & Roll

“If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your
                    shortwave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.” – Homer

Comment

• One-wheeled wonder.(PHYSICAL: FORCES AND MOTION)
                      Klein, Andrew
                      1120 Words
                      15 January 2007
                      Science World
                      Copyright 2007 Gale Group Inc. All rights reserved.

Perched atop his one-wheeled cycle, Kris Holm zigzags across the treacherous terrain of Mount Seymour in Vancouver, Canada. Sporting a helmet and protective pads, he rolls along the mountain's narrow rock ledges--constantly adjusting his body to keep from falling.

Perilous stunts like this one are nothing new for Holm. This expert unicyclist regularly glides along thin railings like the one that lines a 200-foot-high bridge in Hawaii. He has even ridden his unicycle atop the Great Wall of China.

While Holm may look like a daredevil, he doesn't leave much to chance. Holm is a geomorphologist, or scientist who studies landslides. So he applies his knowledge of various terrains to seek out what he calls "the most rideable path." He avoids loose, rocky terrain that might cause him to wipe out. His knowledge of balanced and unbalanced forces also comes in handy--helping him to rise to the top of his sport.

UNICYCLING 101

Holm says that balancing in place on his unicycle can be just as difficult as riding it across the most challenging terrain. To keep from falling off the cycle, Holm has to pay close attention to his center of gravity--the spot where most of the mass of his body is concentrated.

"For humans, your center of gravity is near your hips," says Holm. To prevent wobbling on top of the unicycle, riders have to keep their hips centered above the wheel. Holm calls this, "keeping your core balanced." When two forces are balanced, they are pushing against each other with equal strength. In this case, one force is the force of gravity pushing down on Holm and the other force is the ground pushing up on him.

But what about when he's looking for a little more excitement? To propel himself ahead, Holm pedals forward and leans slightly frontward. This makes the forces somewhat unbalanced, allowing him to move straight ahead. "You may not notice, but when you are walking you lean a little bit forward," says Holm. The same principle applies to riding a unicycle.

FANCY MOVES

As Holm races down a mountainside, he has to be on the lookout for potential pitfalls and react swiftly to avoid them. There are no handlebars on a unicycle to help with steering. So if Holm spots an obstacle, he has to steer by adjusting his weight. He shifts his weight by moving his shoulders and arms in the same direction he wants to turn.

Only advanced unicyclists should attempt such challenging maneuvers, stresses Holm. Years of experience enable him to naturally shift his weight to steer or to keep from falling. If he feels himself tipping over, he quickly adjusts his core balance in the direction opposite of the way he is falling and he swings his arms out to the side. "It looks kind of funny, but it works!" says Holm.

web extra

Check out www.krisholm.com to view photos of Holm and to see the gear he uses.

BALANCING ACT

1 QUICK INSTINCTS: Holm senses that he is about to fall to his right side. To counter that force, he swings his upper body to the left.

2 SHIFT SIDES: When Holm feels he is falling to his left side, he swings his body to the right.

3 BODY BALANCE: Holm keeps his hips centered above the wheel to stay balanced on his unicycle.

HUMAN SPRING

1 GREAT POTENTIAL: Holm crouches forward, compacting his body. This creates potential energy, or stored energy.

2 BOING! Holm stretches out his body, using kinetic energy, or the energy of motion, to spring himself upward.

3 SAFE LANDING: Holm makes his landing--another successful trick!

PRE-READING PROMPTS

Jump-start your lesson with these pre-reading questions:

* The 2006 North American Unicycling Championships and Convention event was held this past June in Memphis, Tennessee. The event included races, an off-road competition, and a trials event, in which competitors had to navigate obstacles, How do unicyclists use their bodies to maneuver their vehicles during races? How would a unicyclist move his or her body to jump over an obstacle?

* Kris Holm was inspired to start unicyling at the age of 11, when he witnessed a street performer in his home city of Vancouver, Canada, playing a violin while sitting atop a unicycle. What key forces would this street performer need to counter in order to stay balanced on the unicycle?

CRITICAL THINKING:

* Have students pick a sport besides unicycling that involves balance. As a class, discuss the different forces that an athlete would need to counter in order to stay balanced. For instance, which forces push against the athlete and how would he or she adjust the body to balance the forces?

CROSS-CURRICULAR CONNECTIONS:

LANGUAGE ARTS: Extreme unicycling is just one of a growing number of unusual sports. For example, participants of the unusual but true sport of extreme ironing go to treacherous locations, such as a mountain peak, to iron clothing. Have each student imagine a new extreme sport. Then have him or her create a rulebook for the original sport. Be sure to include a description of the equipment used for the sport, as well as safety guidelines. (Caution: Stress to students that this is an exercise in creativity and writing. Participation in the imagined sport is not encouraged.)

RESOURCES

* To learn more about unicyling and to find out about related events, visit: www.unicycling.org

* For a booklet that explains the basics of unicycle riding, read: Ride the Unicycle--a Crash Course!, by Gregg Vivolo, Gregg J Vivolo Publisher, March 2006.

* Learn about bicycle physics at: http://howthingswork.virginia.edu/bicycles.html

* If you plan to use a real unicycle to help you demonstrate some of the forces covered in the article, be sure to check out the safety tips at: www.teachcircus.com/unicycle.html

* For a kid-friendly Web site on unicycling, visit: www.kidzworld.com/site/p6102.htm

Name:--

One-Wheeled Wonder

DIRECTIONS: Fill in the blanks to complete the following sentences.

1. Unicyclist Kris Holm is also a--, a scientist who studies landslides.

2. To keep balance on his unicycle, Holm pays close attention to his --, the spot where most of the mass of the body is concentrated.

3. Holm steers his unicycle by adjusting his arms and shoulders to shift his--

4. When Holm crouches forward, he compacts his body. This creates--, or stored energy.

5. To jump, Holm stretches out his compacted body. Using--, or energy of motion, he springs himself upward.

ANSWERS

1. geomorphologist

2. center of gravity

3. weight

4. potential energy

5. kinetic energy
                      Raphael Lasar

To Plotz is Human
                      To Shvitz Divine

Comment

• I'm a little late with this, but...

Originally posted by unicycle6869
                        Ian Holm, huh? Never heard of him!
                        Ever seen the movie "Alien"? He played Ash, the evil android
                        The Fifth Element? He played the priest.
                        He's been in lots of things. He's really very good!

Now Tony Welton, I'm not so sure about...
                        Last edited by johnfoss; 2007-01-09, 04:39 PM.
                        John Foss
                        www.unicycling.com

"Who is going to argue with a mom who can ride a unicycle?" -- Forums member "HiMo"

Comment

• Originally posted by johnfoss
                          He played Ash, the evil android
                          He'd prefer "artificial person" I'm sure.
                          Last edited by JJuggle; 2007-01-09, 06:58 PM.
                          Raphael Lasar

To Plotz is Human
                          To Shvitz Divine

Comment

• Even scarier is that last article.

Look at the date- it was written in the future
                            Adventure Unicyclist

Alps 2 Ocean

Unistan: The Uzbekistan Unicycle Tour

Induni: The India Unicycle Tour

Monguni: The Mongolia Unicycle Tour

Comment

• Tyring work as unicycles take on wheel challenge
                              Raphael Lasar

To Plotz is Human
                              To Shvitz Divine

Comment

• The South Island, New Zealand Unicycle Tour
                                NZ Unicycle Federation
                                330 Words
                                17 January 2007
                                Copyright 2007, scoop.co.nz All Rights Reserved.

NZ Unicycle Federation Press Release 17 Jan 2007

The South Island, New Zealand Unicycle Tour (SINZ)

New Zealand will play host to 12 Unicyclists from as far away as Austria, USA, UK, Hong Kong and Australia in the first international unicycle tour of New Zealand. Starting this Saturday, riders will converge on Dunedin with their one-wheeled machines, before embarking on the 900km challenge to unicycle to Christchurch.

"It is not a race," says organiser Ken Looi, "but it's going to be a tough ride. They will be walking a little funny at the end of the tour". Riders on The SINZ Unitour will unicycle for up to 145km per day during the 16 day tour.

Unicycle Touring is a relatively new concept, catching on in New Zealand and around the world. With the advent of The 'Coker' 36" Unicycles, and more recently, geared unicycle hubs, riders can cruise at speeds up to 25km/hr, travelling distances close to that of regular two-wheeled bicycles.

"It is a great way to see a country; you travel at just the right speed" says co-organiser Tony Melton of Auckland.

The SINZ Unicycle Tour starts with a ride up Baldwin Street, the worlds steepest street, in Northeast Dunedin. From there, the riders head to Middlemarch to ride the Central Otago Rail Trail through to Queenstown and Wanaka, before going up the West Coast to Hokitika. The unicyclists will then climb over Arthurs Pass, heading towards Christchurch to finish in Cathedral Square.

The tour is supported by Connie Cotter, a Minnesota native who is also the current President of The International Unicyling Federation. She will be driving a support vehicle and providing the riders with logistical support during the tour. "You can't lug around much stuff on a unicycle! I'll have to do it for them." laughs Cotter.
                                Raphael Lasar

To Plotz is Human
                                To Shvitz Divine

Comment

Working...
                                X