Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unicycle articles (but wait there's more...)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unicycling juggler rolls into town
    By Rusty Marks, The Charleston Gazette, W.Va.
    Knight Ridder/Tribune Business News
    377 words
    8 April 2006
    The Charleston Gazette (KRTBN)
    English
    Copyright (C) 2006 KRTBN Knight Ridder Tribune Business News
    Apr. 8--Charleston's favorite unicycle-riding juggler is returning to town for a visit and fundraiser. City native Zach Warren will be at the Unitarian Universalist Congregation, 520 Kanawha Blvd. W., at 10 a.m. April 15 to help raise awareness and money for the Afghan Mobile Mini Circus for Children, a traveling mini-circus that helps children in Afghanistan. Warren spent two months in Afghanistan last year teaching with the circus. Warren, 24, is in divinity school at Harvard, training to become an Episcopal priest. He plans to pursue a Ph.D. in psychology and combine teaching and ministry. An accomplished magician, juggler and unicyclist, Warren uses his talents to reach children and others, believing that play can be a powerful teaching tool. "I try to be imaginative and push the limits," he said.

"In a place like Afghanistan being imaginative and pushing limits are what's necessary to rebuild the country." Warren has already run the Boston Marathon while juggling three balls to support the program in Afghanistan. He also hopes to set a unicycle record to help raise money for the circus. He originally planned to try for the fastest 100 miles on a unicycle, but has since decided to try to break the record for the fastest mile. Warren's first attempt was earlier this week in Fargo, N.D. "I chose Fargo because it's so flat there," Warren explained. Unicyclists need flat roads with little slope for the best speed. The current one-mile unicycle speed record is 14.27 miles per hour. Warren was several minutes ahead of the record when his unicycle broke and he had to stop to fix it. The resulting delay caused him to miss the record, but Warren is confident he'll be able to break the record barring further mishaps. He plans to try again in August. The Universalist Congregation is helping support Warren and his cause. For more about the mini circus, visit www.Unicycle4Kids.org . To contact staff writer Rusty Marks, use e-mail or call 348-1215.
    Raphael Lasar

To Plotz is Human
    To Shvitz Divine

Comment

• A UNIQUE COUPLE For these outdoor enthusiasts, just taking a simple walk down the aisle was out of the question
      Raphael Lasar

To Plotz is Human
      To Shvitz Divine

Comment

• Unicycling made the 2006 Reader's Digest America's 100 Best. Number 42 had a pic of the green Torker:

Best Balancing Act
        Who says two wheels are better than one? Hop on a sleek unicycle and shed calories while building core muscles and poise. Average time to learn to ride is 10-15 hours, say the experts at unicycle.com, an online retailer based in Marietta, Georgia. Top speed on this popular wheel? About 10 mph. Beginners will enjoy the sturdy Torker Unistar CX 16-inch Special Edition (torkerusa.com; $85). And don't forget the helmet.
        Steve

Hop Drop & Roll

“If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your
        shortwave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.” – Homer

Comment

• Perhaps someone is familiar with this locale.

Mind bend
          104 words
          13 April 2006
          The Sun
          English
          (c) 2006 News Group Newspapers. All rights reserved
          (Photograph) - TRY riding down this bizarre 5ft-long cycle route and you're likely to end up going round the bend.

Bungling council chiefs had it painted. But it is only slightly longer than a bike and has a sharp curve.

Cyclists in Shrewsbury, Shrops, say you can't ride it without FALLING OFF.

Former cycle racer Jim Leach, 74, said: "It's the silliest cycle route I've ever seen. Maybe it was designed by a unicycle owner."

A Shropshire Council spokesman said: "The safety auditor insisted on us adding this very short, tight loop."
          Raphael Lasar

To Plotz is Human
          To Shvitz Divine

Comment

• Originally posted by JJuggle
            Perhaps someone is familiar with this locale.
            <snip>
            Former cycle racer Jim Leach, 74, said: "It's the silliest cycle route I've ever seen. Maybe it was designed by a unicycle owner."
            Possibly. Have you seen the thread headed "Guardian Newspaper article"?

http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48493
            http://www.redpedals.co.uk
            "I'm riding a unicycle with my pants down. This should be every boy's dream." - Bart Simpson

Comment

• Originally posted by Danny Colyer
              Possibly. Have you seen the thread headed "Guardian Newspaper article"?

http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48493
              Yes, as a matter of fact, now that you mention it, I did read that.
              Raphael Lasar

To Plotz is Human
              To Shvitz Divine

Comment

• An obit, but a nice "in lieu of flowers".

Obituaries Obit
                6097 words
                20 April 2006
                Charleston Gazette
                P8A
                English
                (Copyright 2006)

Lavinia Embleton Carney

Lavinia Embleton Carney died April 17, 2006.

Born March 17, 1926 to Lavinia Cabell Embleton and Harry Browning Embleton.

She graduated from Hollins College in 1947, and then pursued a life of learning, filled with books, family, friends, travel and gardening.

She married Herbert Read Carney and they had two children, Herbert Read Carney Jr. and Ann Carney Southworth.

She is survived by her daughter; daughter-in-law, Marjory Moses; son-in-law John Deane Southworth III; five grandchildren, Kate Carney Barger, Margaret Ruth Carney, John Deane Southworth IV, Andrew Read Southworth and Robert Drake Southworth; and her sister, Ann Embleton Bird and her three children.

The funeral service will be held at 4 p.m. Thursday, April 20, at St. John's Episcopal Church.

In lieu of flowers, please send donations to St. John's Episcopal Church, 1105 Quarrier St., Charleston, WV 25301, Kanawha Pastoral Counseling, 16 Leon Sullivan Way, Charleston, WV 25301, ( www.KPCC .com); "Afghan Children's Circus (MMCC)" c/o Zach Warren, 1408 Bedford Rd., Charleston, WV 25314, ( www.unicycle4 kids.org.); or HospiceCare, 1143 Dunbar Ave., Dunbar, WV 25064.
                Raphael Lasar

To Plotz is Human
                To Shvitz Divine

Comment

• Exercise: Are you happy enough?
                  Health

Jane Symons
                  287 words
                  20 April 2006
                  The Sun
                  English
                  (c) 2006 News Group Newspapers. All rights reserved
                  THE Mental Health Foundation reckon ten to 15 minutes exercise each day could be as effective as antidepressant drugs.

The Government recommends it as the first line in treatment.

A study in Dallas, Texas, showed depressive symptoms were reduced by 50 per cent in those who exercised for 30 minutes, three times a week.

Simon Heyes exercised his way back to health, right, with a 1,200-mile unicycle ride.

The 40-year-old nurse, from Wincanton, Somerset, pedalled from John O'Groats to Land's End after suffering two mental breakdowns, the first in 1988.

Simon, a volunteer worker with mental health charities Speak Up Somerset and South Somerset Mind, says: "My unicycle trip helped me re-engage with life.

"I blamed the past for my problems and spent a lot of time contemplating suicide but I haven't looked back since completing the journey because I realised looking forward is the answer.

"People lose confidence and can't become friends with others. Family relationships become strained and they drop out of life. It's sad but you've got to come through it.

"The stigma of being mentally unwell is a big barrier to overcome and recognising that these symptoms can be beaten is important.
                  Raphael Lasar

To Plotz is Human
                  To Shvitz Divine

Comment

{insert article}

"The stigma of being mentally unwell is a big barrier to overcome and recognising that these symptoms can be beaten is important.
                    Excellent find again, Raphael. I suppose we are all unicycling our way back from mental unwellness.
                    -Greg Harper

Nipples...do you ever have enough?

Change is good. Bills are better.

Comment

The 40-year-old nurse, from Wincanton, Somerset, pedalled from John O'Groats to Land's End after suffering two mental breakdowns, the first in 1988.
                      is it just me, or is it telling us that you'd be mentally unstable to attempt the journey?

Comment

• MS 150 cyclists push their limit / About 12,000 brave the hills to raise money for a good cause
                        Raphael Lasar

To Plotz is Human
                        To Shvitz Divine

Comment

or unicycle riders Jerry Gruss, 45, and A.J. Greig, 30.

Greig has done this before. This is Gruss' first time.

"Training for this, I've put about 1,000 miles on this thing," he said. It's a lot harder to ride a unicyle than bicycle, he said, because you can't brake and you can't cruise even when you're going down hill. Plus, it's extremely uncomfortable because you can't shift your weight.
                          Another famous quote by Jerry Gruss: "Just because Kris Holm can do it doesn't mean it's possible."
                          -Greg Harper

Nipples...do you ever have enough?

Change is good. Bills are better.

Comment

• Page 3 of the local rag.

http://www.macclesfield-express.co.u...el_thrill.html
                            ---unicycle for The Very Hungry Caterpillar---
                            Make crumbs not War!
                            You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrBoogiejuice
                              bob@maccbikeathon.com.

Jenny Kirby

First published by the Macclesfield Express
                              http://www.uniproshow.com

One Love Unicycle Club (Coming to Denver soon...)

Comment

• Cop puts the brakes on stunt cyclist
                                BY dave lafferty
                                250 words
                                11 May 2006
                                Manchester Evening News
                                English
                                (c) 2006
                                A STUNT cyclist has told police to get on their bike after they warned him not to ride through Macclesfield town centre.

Charity unicyclist Pete Stewart was given a "stop" form by a police officer while he was standing next to his bike on pedestrian Mill Street.

But he insisted he is just like a pedestrian on wheels and will continue to ride as he has always done.

Pete, 21, is also complaining to Macclesfield's Neighbourhood Policing Unit over the way he claims he was treated. The graphic designer, of Prestwick Close, Macclesfield - who is due to ride his unicycle in a bikeathon in aid of East Cheshire Hospice - said: "The officer said he had seen me riding through the pedestrian area.

"I have never been stopped before and thought we were classed as a pedestrian on a unicycle because it has no brakes and it is direct drive.

"I asked him what we were doing wrong and why he stopped us and he said we were a danger to other pedestrians on our unicycles and that it was not safe.

"I am hoping for an apology from the officer involved - and maybe he could sponsor me for the bikeathon."

But Insp Gary Simpson said: "There has been no prosecution and I think the officer has dealt with it in an appropriate way. We wish the person luck in his charity event."

BANNED . . . Pete Stewart with his police warning.
                                Raphael Lasar

To Plotz is Human
                                To Shvitz Divine

Comment

Working...
                                X