Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beginner wanting to share progress...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Beginner wanting to share progress...

    It's rare that I join an online forum and post instead of lurk, but I don't know anyone else with this hobby so I just wanted to share my progress with people that might care.

    I got a unicycle about two weeks ago and I've been fiddling with it off and on since then and I've maybe put in 3-5 hours of practice in 15-30 min sessions when I can. I collect hobbies as a hobby so finding a slot of time to practice is hard, but I'm managing to practice fairly regularly.

    Anyhow, to not be too long winded, the best practice spot I've found so far is the parking garage at work. Lots of space with long, unimpeded walls for support that can easily be pushed away from. Yesterday evening after work, after lots of single and half revs over the past two weeks, all of a sudden everything clicked and I went about 10-15 feet out in the open and it felt amazing; like I could actually unicycle! I think the only reason I didn't go further was the pure excitement I felt!

    I just want to say thanks so much to the community on here for all the great posts over the years documenting progress and tips and lessons learned. I had a hard time believing the whole, "just keep doing it and you'll get it" or "one day it'll just click", but I'll be damned if y'all aren't right. I won't doubt again!

    I know my next few sessions will probably go backwards in progress, but I look forward to that feeling of "getting it" once again.

    Cheers!

  • #2
    Originally posted by caseydanger View Post
    It's rare that I join an online forum and post instead of lurk, but I don't know anyone else with this hobby so I just wanted to share my progress with people that might care.

    I got a unicycle about two weeks ago and I've been fiddling with it off and on since then and I've maybe put in 3-5 hours of practice in 15-30 min sessions when I can. I collect hobbies as a hobby so finding a slot of time to practice is hard, but I'm managing to practice fairly regularly.

    Anyhow, to not be too long winded, the best practice spot I've found so far is the parking garage at work. Lots of space with long, unimpeded walls for support that can easily be pushed away from. Yesterday evening after work, after lots of single and half revs over the past two weeks, all of a sudden everything clicked and I went about 10-15 feet out in the open and it felt amazing; like I could actually unicycle! I think the only reason I didn't go further was the pure excitement I felt!

    I just want to say thanks so much to the community on here for all the great posts over the years documenting progress and tips and lessons learned. I had a hard time believing the whole, "just keep doing it and you'll get it" or "one day it'll just click", but I'll be damned if y'all aren't right. I won't doubt again!

    I know my next few sessions will probably go backwards in progress, but I look forward to that feeling of "getting it" once again.

    Cheers!
    Awesome! Keep going. Once I got a few good runs, I felt I got it. So I hope you have it!
    If you are female please join the Female Unicyclists! group on Facebook!

    Comment


    • #3
      good deal, keep at it and it will just keep getting better
      24" Torker LX
      29" UDC Trainer
      32" UDC trainer

      Comment


      • #4
        Welcome aboard! I'm a newbie who just managed to ride 2 miles down the bike path a few weeks ago after about 2+ months of a lot of work... I got a TON of great advice and encouragement here. I'm hooked...

        Chief

        Comment


        • #5
          Welcome and thank you for sharing!
          This forum is really a great resource indeed.

          Much easier to find information here than on FB for sure.

          Originally posted by caseydanger View Post

          Anyhow, to not be too long winded, the best practice spot I've found so far is the parking garage at work. Lots of space with long, unimpeded walls for support that can easily be pushed away from. Yesterday evening after work, after lots of single and half revs over the past two weeks, all of a sudden everything clicked and I went about 10-15 feet out in the open and it felt amazing; like I could actually unicycle! I think the only reason I didn't go further was the pure excitement I felt!
          I highlighted the things that I think are the secret to your success

          Too often I read about people clinging onto support for too long.
          Keep riding into the open and you'll quickly see your distances increase!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Quax1974 View Post
            Too often I read about people clinging onto support for too long.
            Keep riding into the open and you'll quickly see your distances increase!
            for me this now works the other way around. I find it very difficult to just hold on to a pole and take off. Or like last year with the Uni championships, I didn't mount the 32" right away and was offered a shoulder for support. When mounting unsupported, the balance is already good, but otherwise I'd just hang to the side too much and I wouldn't have the momentum of getting on, I would otherwise have.

            Comment


            • #7
              Keep it up!

              Way to go caseydanger and thanks for sharing! So glad you stuck with it long enough to see such encouraging results! You're definitely on the right track. Hopefully you continue to devote time to your new hobby. I think you'll be glad you did.

              -A fellow Texan

              Comment


              • #8
                Welcome sounds like you're making great progress already, what unicycle are you riding?
                DRS 5'20" Giraffe || Nimbus II 24" || Nimbus Muni 29" || Kris Holm 36" Road

                Comment


                • #9
                  2 weeks and you GOT IT

                  That's awesome. You my friend are on the "high unicycle aptitude" spectrum. I am somewhere on the lower side with 8 weeks to get it. This means you may go far. Keep working on it learn new tricks and soon you will be on a 36" rolling down the trails. Keep on.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Thanks for the kind words of encouragement everyone! A couple days after I posted this I made it about 30' and then a day later 50'! Holy cow! It's nowhere near consistent as I haven't made it to 50' again (close, but not quite), but I do have more successful runs of 10-15'. I feel waaaaay more confident about getting this down. Currently struggling with keeping my weight in the seat and sitting up straight. You know, the usual learning curve stuff.

                    Originally posted by Unigan View Post
                    Welcome sounds like you're making great progress already, what unicycle are you riding?
                    I am currently riding a 20" Nimbus II that I got brand new as payment for some side work I did for my boss. I've torn up the front and back bumpers on it from all the UPDs and I tell myself once I can ride it well I'll splurge and get a nice gel seat

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by caseydanger View Post
                      I am currently riding a 20" Nimbus II that I got brand new as payment for some side work I did for my boss.
                      Oooh! Compensation in the form of unicycles! I think there should be more of this. That's a very nice unicycle, and I'm about to buy one myself as I don't have much hope of a deal like yours.
                      20" Nimbus (Black, White Tire)
                      26" Nimbus Muni (Duro Wildlife Leopard | Schwalbe Crazy Bob 2.35")

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Richard C View Post

                        Oooh! Compensation in the form of unicycles! I think there should be more of this. That's a very nice unicycle, and I'm about to buy one myself as I don't have much hope of a deal like yours.
                        Haha. I agree! Honestly I would have ended up with a Club or something on Amazon if I hadn't worked this out because it's certainly more unicycle than I can handle. I guess I'll grow into it.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I don't know if it's cool to keep updating this thread with progress, so if it isn't, please let me know and I can start a new thread somewhere else. If it is IS cool, then:

                          HOLY COW have a come a ways since my first post!
                          • I can pretty much go any distance I want with a very small amount of UPDs
                          • I can turn left AND right (right was vexing me for a while, not sure why)
                          • I can mount from holding onto a wall AND backing the wheel up to a curb and stepping on
                          And TODAY on my lunch break I TOTALLY FREE-MOUNTED!!! No holding onto anything, just in the middle of the parking lot I practice in I was able to pull it off about four times out of the 100 or so that I tried. I've been doing the sort of non-dominant foot on the back pedal, hopping up to the forward pedal with your dominant foot thing, not sure of the name.

                          Anyhow, I'm super happy with my progress and looking forward to the future. After I get the hang of free-mounting my next goal is idling and then juggling clubs while idling. Fortunately I already know how to juggle clubs

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Nothing wrong with updating this thread it's all relevant, one month in you're doing very well, it's great you're making consistent progress and you'll just keep getting better. Your turning will improve with time are jerking the wheel to turn? or smoothly turning your shoulders and hips in the direction you want to go?

                            The type of freemount you're describing sounds like static mount where your pedals are roughly horizontal when you attempt to mount. I find this is the better mount for general riding to learn as it scales very well with larger wheels. However since your goal is to learn idling you may want to learn rollback mount where your pedals are roughly vertical with the bottom pedal slightly angled towards you as this mount naturally leads into idling and is very proficient for small wheels like 24" or lower. This mount can work on larger wheels but it's generally harder to pull off since larger wheels require more strength to use.

                            If you really do like the performing side of unicycling like juggling maybe a giraffe is something you might want. Might want to master the 20" before you start though so you don't have too many UPD's when you start.
                            Last edited by Unigan; 2020-03-05, 07:28 PM.
                            DRS 5'20" Giraffe || Nimbus II 24" || Nimbus Muni 29" || Kris Holm 36" Road

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Unigan View Post
                              Nothing wrong with updating this thread it's all relevant, one month in you're doing very well, it's great you're making consistent progress and you'll just keep getting better. Your turning will improve with time are jerking the wheel to turn? or smoothly turning your shoulders and hips in the direction you want to go?
                              Right on, then I'll just keep posting progress here every once in a while! Thanks!

                              I started out having to jerk the wheel to get going in the direction I've wanted and I still do sometimes. Over the past few days though I've been able to more or less just turn my shoulders and head in the direction I want to go and I just go that way, so it's definitely one of those "as you keep doing it you'll get better" things.

                              Originally posted by Unigan View Post
                              The type of freemount you're describing sounds like static mount where your pedals are roughly horizontal when you attempt to mount. I find this is the better mount for general riding to learn as it scales very well with larger wheels. However since your goal is to learn idling you may want to learn rollback mount where your pedals are roughly vertical with the bottom pedal slightly angled towards you as this mount naturally leads into idling and is very proficient for small wheels like 24" or lower. This mount can work on larger wheels but it's generally harder to pull off since larger wheels require more strength to use.
                              Cool. I thought it was called a static mount but wasn't sure. I've seen rollback mounts mentioned but I haven't attempted one yet, as I read, like you mention, that it's good for leading into idling. I'll start peppering in practice on that as well.

                              And yes, I am SUPER into the idea of a giraffe but man, mounting one of those just seems so daunting! One day... I think for my next unicycle I'd just like to get a larger wheel like a 29" so I can ride longer distances more comfortably. And muni seems super fun too, but I don't even have experience with mountain biking so I'm not sure how I'd even start with that.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X