No announcement yet.

Training for 1st event

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so I'm continuing to make improvements in my training. this past Mon I rode 16.33 miles and felt pretty good at the end. was getting a bit sore in the bum but had energy to keep going, but it was about to get dark so I packed it up. I had a couple photo ops and had to contend with a person on a motorcycle that had just a few too many adult beverages. he was parked next to my bike when I finished my first 8 mile lap and got very animated when I rode up on the uni. so I'm getting better with 2 hands on the bar but still really fighting the crown issue
    So today I brought the uni into the shop broke out the hand grinder and carefully ground the outer tread down and into the next tread so now the tire is a little more round than it was. it is still pretty wide but I'm hoping it's just enough to help. I have picked out my next challenge to continue my training. we have a road close to the house and it is probably 12 to 15 miles from end to end and has a nice wide shoulder so I can ride safely. I plan to start early one morning and see how long it takes me to complete one run down and back, not sure when I'm going to take the challenge but I see it happening soon
    24" Torker LX
    29" UDC Trainer
    32" UDC trainer

Comment

Originally posted by aj1500 View Post
      ......... but still really fighting the crown issue. So today I brought the uni into the shop broke out the hand grinder and carefully ground the outer tread down and into the next tread so now the tire is a little more round than it was. it is still pretty wide but I'm hoping it's just enough to help.
      I will be interested in hearing how your tire reshaping works out. Off hand I'd guess that the camber effect will be worse now. My theory based on my observations and other reported experiences is that more flexibility between the tire surface and the tire carcass causes less camber effect. Some have reported that the exact same tire with an open/off-road type tread will get worse as the tread wears down and the flexibility between the tire surface and carcass gets less and less. By grinding off some of the tread you may have reduced the flexibility between the tire surface and the tire carcass and that may have the same result as a tread wearing down.

Click image for larger version

Name:	170263884.jFvcPdnf.Tire_Camber.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	2802857

Comment

Jim I totally get what your saying. I hope I didn't make it worse but I had to try something else. I have tried different tire pressures, didn't seem to effect the pull just the comfort of the ride as far as harsh vs soft but also increase resistance at lower PSI. so far I like 50 PSI the best for overall comfort in the ride. I will say I did not remove all the tread on the far edge and second row I just rounded them more I should find out this Mon when I ride again if it worked or not. fingers crossed
        24" Torker LX
        29" UDC Trainer
        32" UDC trainer

Comment

Well I'm happy to report it looks like my shaving the outer edge of the tire tread has helped. I've ridden a couple times since the mod to the tire but yesterday I rode the same road I have been having so much trouble with and for the first time the crown had minimal effect on my ride, I still had to adjust a little from time to time but did not have that sliding off the side of the seat effect at all. I was even able to make a smooth transition in the one corner that has almost thrown me many times because the crown changes from left to right to right to left.
          24" Torker LX
          29" UDC Trainer
          32" UDC trainer

Comment

Working...
          X