No announcement yet.

Training for 1st event

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Youíre doing fine. Hopefully you will stick with it long enough to find a cadence you can relax at and maintain forever. The tortoise and the hare ó itís your choice. Iím satisfied with being an almost always finishing tortoise in amongst a field of younger excuse making hare.

If at the end of a training ride your cadence only varies around 2 mph I think you have found a foundation to develop.

Now is the time to build endurance. Wait until you can ride continuously at about 9 mph or so then start adding short sprints without falling below 8 in recovery. Pyramids work great for buildings your ability to increase speed. But first you need foundation miles.

DO NOT let the wood go numb. Iím usually fine for the first forty minutes. You will not want to deal with damage control.

Enjoy,
    JM
    You cannot teach a man anything, you can only help him find it within himself....

Comment

Originally posted by aj1500 View Post
      it's like I just can't settle in on a steady speed because I'm constantly correcting due to the uni tipping back and forward.
      I'm open to suggestions as to thoughts to help correct this issue other than just more time in the saddle
      Apart from spending more time in the saddle there is little you can do to get a more constant speed. The human body / brain / reflexes just need time to figure things out.

What I found is that constant speed is easier when riding slightly uphill.
      Less backpedal action going on.
      And inclines are also a good workout which could be beneficial in preparation for your event.

Comment

well that makes me feel better, at least I know I'm still on the right path
        I do feel like it has gotten a little better since I added a handlebar, maybe the new one I just built will help even more.
        24" Torker LX
        29" UDC Trainer
        32" UDC trainer

Comment

I know I don't need them yet but I went to my local bike shop to discuss adding some brakes and the next thing I knew I had brakes on the uni
          I played with them just a little on my ride after that, figured out right quick to be really careful not to overdue it. I did pretty good but had 1 time I grabbed a little more than I thought and it was all I could do to not get face planted. I'm ready to challenge the viaduct where I ride now, it has scared me because it's pretty steep and I know I couldn't ride down it without brakes
          also the handle bar did well but it was a little too far forward. this morning I took it off and shortened it a little bit and now I think it will work better.
          24" Torker LX
          29" UDC Trainer
          32" UDC trainer

Comment

regarding brakes: I have quite some "slack" in my brake so it does not react the very moment I grab the brake lever

This allows me to grab / hold the lever comfortably before applying the actual braking effect.

Comment

Yes, I wouldn't say it's a lot but I had some slack set up in mine as well, if I find it to be not enough I can shave down the shims at the pads to add more throw before they grab. I'll post some pics later of my new set up. they used some nice parts to put it together. I'm real happy with it
              24" Torker LX
              29" UDC Trainer
              32" UDC trainer

Comment

here are a couple pics of my new brakes and handlebar, I also added some mounts and bottle holders so I can carry water on the uni, this worked out great on my last ride
                24" Torker LX
                29" UDC Trainer
                32" UDC trainer

Comment

Yes, I wouldn't say it's a lot but I had some slack set up in mine as well, if I find it to be not enough I can shave down the shims at the pads to add more throw before they grab. I'll post some pics later of my new set up. they used some nice parts to put it together. I'm real happy with it
                  You should be able to get any amount of slack you want by moving the shims from the inside to the outside and adjusting the cable, I think. But most of it is probably just getting used to the brake.

Looks like a pretty solid "budget" setup you have made yourself there, I like it.
                  In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -Douglas Adams.

Comment

It is good to see you got a caliper that was deep enough for your setup. If you can add some toe-in to the brake pads so they contact with the leading edge first that might also help with the grabbing

Comment

another day of riding after work, couple things changed both mental and mechanical
                      first I decided to pay attention and not try to ride fast but just steady, if that meant slowing down then so be it. after about a mile I remembered I wanted to raise the seat more and see how it felt so I stopped and raised it about 1/4 inch. right off it felt good or even better. after another mile I noticed I was riding much smoother. I'm still struggling to use the handle bar with both hands but I'm staying with it. so at the end of the 4 mile I U P D, I had turned to look behind me to make sure there wasn't any cars before I crossed the road I leaned forward and left to cross and I guess I leaned too far forward. anyway the impact bent my new handle bar back some moving it closer to me,,, and WOW what a difference it made it was now more comfortable to use and I was able to ride with both hands much farther before getting out of whack or having to let go with one hand or the other to not loose position. I tried leaning forward while riding a few times but I am having a real hard time with that as it just feels all wrong and my knees feel like they come up too high and cause me to get off balance.
                      so all in all it was a good session. I have a long way to go, I know I'm doing this after a full day of work but I hit 13.44 miles yesterday and have to say I didn't have much left in me when I stopped
                      24" Torker LX
                      29" UDC Trainer
                      32" UDC trainer

Comment

....... U P D, I had turned to look behind me to make sure there wasn't any cars before I crossed the road ........
                        For riding in traffic I find that a rear view mirror is a required item. It is not an optional or just a nice to have safety device. Here is the one I use, cost about $3.00.
                        Last edited by JimT; 2020-03-03, 01:29 PM.

Comment

I'm a believer, that is my next move, to get a mirror on my helmet. I tried to do a dental mirror on my old helmet and just couldn't get it set up right. I have another idea and if it doesn't work I'll just buy one made for helmets

OH I forgot to mention, I lowered the air pressure in the tire to 35, didn't seem to help any with fighting the road camber but it sure made for a smoother ride
                          I just hope I can figure out how to overcome the uni leaning so bad, or realistically not leaning when I'm dealing with camber.
                          Last edited by aj1500; 2020-03-03, 09:19 PM.
                          24" Torker LX
                          29" UDC Trainer
                          32" UDC trainer

Comment

I don’t recommend a mirror if you want to enjoy your ride. i got one thinking it would help me ride backwards all the way on my commute trips. But soon ditched it in a drawer. I haven’t used a mirror after my first year unicycling.

There are lots of camber suggestions from many of the experts. I remember posting a few. Afters trying every trick and suggestIon I could think of or find — this post is still what I find that works for me.

Originally posted by bungeejoe View Post
                            Ride the center line

The roads in your neighborhood are some of the worst I've ever ridden. I found riding the center line to be the most effective way to deal with camber except on banked corners, then riding the outside pavement edge of the corner usually works best.

My wife always recommends switching sides of the road when I've complained about knee issues on cambered roads. I've tried switching sides and it does help. Might work for you.

Joe Myers

P.S. - You already have found the solution. Try moving the seat over against the outside leg/thigh. Usually if you raise up and pull the saddle/seat toward the direction of the camber the saddle/seat will move a tiny little bit. This will help reduce the amount of body angle needed to keep balanced with the contact point of the tire near perpendicular to the camber so the wheel will roll straight.

PM me if you continue having problems or start fighting knee issues.
                            Have fun,
                            Joe Myers
                            Enjoy,
                            JM
                            You cannot teach a man anything, you can only help him find it within himself....

Comment

[QUOTE=bungeejoe;n2802596]I don’t recommend a mirror if you want to enjoy your ride. i got one thinking it would help me ride backwards all the way on my commute trips. But soon ditched it in a drawer. I haven’t used a mirror after my first year unicycling.

not sure I understand why a mirror would make my ride less enjoyable. now I'm leaning towards one that is built into a wrist band, then I can just move my arm into place long enough to get a good look.

so I got out and rode some more yesterday and I had a real treat, I got to actually ride with a fellow unicyclist that is also a member here. that was my first time riding with another unicyclist
                              Jeff was heading back home to KY from a visit to FL. and he stopped in for a nice morning ride. I was on my 32 and he was on a 36. Jeff made for a great riding companion as he is just so happy go lucky, he is a much better rider than myself so he kept me on my toes. but I did get to introduce him to something new, he had never crossed RR tracks and we crossed 3 sets during our ride and one of them had a train coming. we had a beautiful day for riding, I was disappointed that we didn't get to ride the trail at the park due to it being flooded out but we still had a great ride. we had a couple come up to us while we were at the park talking and we ended up putting the young lady on my uni and getting some pictures for her, really made her day.
                              we made a nice little 8 mile loop, dropped in the local bike shop for a short visit then stopped at Fire House Subs for lunch. we finished off our ride going over the viaduct over the train tracks, this was my first attempt at it and it turns out it wasn't as big a monster as I was afraid it was, not saying it was easy but nowhere near the challenge I expected. the down hill side was tougher as I was truly working with my new brakes for the first time. I think I was going much slower than I should have but brakes are a bit of a challenge at this point.

24" Torker LX
                              29" UDC Trainer
                              32" UDC trainer

Comment

I put in another ride yesterday, I only rode 8 miles but it was a good ride I had an incident at the 4 mile mark that once resolved I felt like an idiot. I decided to raise the seat just a little more to see if I had found the right spot yet and when I went to take off there was this grinding sound and suddenly I was thrown off. I started looking and checking everything, but couldn't figure it out, I could spin the wheel and at a certain point it would grind and try to stop. I was checking bearings and the new brakes but nothing seemed wrong. finally I happened to turn the uni to a point I could see one of my taillights had moved and I have a high spot on my tire and it was hitting the light, DUHH anyway after I fixed that I had the new challenge of mounting with the seat higher. I had also changed my handle bar so now it comes up right at the front of the seat rather than out at the end of the front bar so I have to adjust my mounting technique again. I worked real hard on riding with both hands and did good for the first 3 miles but after that it was difficult to do for very long at a time, but I'm making progress so that's good
                                oh and I also bought a mirror that is made on a wrist band. I have to say I really like it, it doesn't draw your attention toward it while you ride and is very easy to use, I just move my arm out a little and I can see behind me. the mirror not only flips open but is on a dial that rotates 360 so you can set it up at all kind of angles
                                the mirror is decent size so you get a good view of what is behind you
                                Last edited by aj1500; 2020-03-17, 05:30 PM.
                                24" Torker LX
                                29" UDC Trainer
                                32" UDC trainer

Comment

Working...
                                X