Training for 1st event

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK I rode on the new road yesterday after work, couple observations
    1 the new handle bar extension isn't going cut it, mostly because it flexes a lot
    good call on that one guys
    2 I have to carry water even for short rides
    I think I'll try a lower tire pressure next time, it rode nice and smooth but was bouncy and a bit twitchy. I rode it down first then back up for a total of 8.29 miles, I averaged 9.83 MPH. I stopped at 4.2 miles to stretch for less then 2 min and was off, at the top of the longest grade about another 2.5 miles I had to stop again for a min to stretch because my left calf was cramping up. seems that this is a very popular road for cycling and jogging. there were a good handful of cyclist out there with me running the same road
    even had one come up and ask to take a pic of him riding beside me, he wanted to send it to his girlfriend, said she wouldn't believe him without proof . all in all it was a good ride, I have to admit though it was the hardest 8 miles I have ever ridden so far, I just need to stick with it and keep pushing
    24" Torker LX
    29" UDC Trainer
    32" UDC trainer

Comment

On the water, have you thought of a camelback?
      Chief

Comment

Originally posted by BHChieftain View Post
        On the water, have you thought of a camelback?
        Chief
        yep, I have one and have used it a few times, it is a bit awkward because it moves around on me, I also have a small fanny pack type thing I used when riding the 24 on the beach, it works good and can hold 2 bottles of water.
        I guess I'll just try both until I decide which one works best. once it stays light long enough that I can remove my front lights I can put a bigger bottle under my handlebar
        24" Torker LX
        29" UDC Trainer
        32" UDC trainer

Comment

I suggest taking a look at the Topeak Handlebar Water Bottle Cage Mount

I use one for MUni and road and they are a very easy, durable and inexpensive way to add a bottle cage. They cost about $5 and on a unicycle you can put one on the back of the seat post and one on the handlebar. Both options can be accessed while riding

What is the event date? I would love to do it as well
          For the most part, if you want to be cool, you might want to avoid unicycles. But if you want to ride unicycles, you're into a different kind of cool. We are not sheep! (Foss, 2017, p. 93)

Comment

I don't have the date yet but will post the info here as soon as I have it
            I'm sure it's going to be around the first of Sep.
            24" Torker LX
            29" UDC Trainer
            32" UDC trainer

Comment

K thanks
              For the most part, if you want to be cool, you might want to avoid unicycles. But if you want to ride unicycles, you're into a different kind of cool. We are not sheep! (Foss, 2017, p. 93)

Comment

well I went out yesterday to ride after work. weird, it was an off day and yet it was still a pretty good day. first off after about the first mile I was shifting my foot just a little and the crank hit my heel just enough to knock my foot off the pedal so whee there I went, but I landed it like a pro stayed on my feet . then about a mile later I just couldn't seem to settle in the seat so I stopped and decided to raise the seat a little, Wow that felt much better so off I went. at the 4 mile mark I suddenly found myself needing to,,,, well relieve myself. so into the woods I went . now I'm back at it and after a couple miles I needed to stop again to rest and reposition, back on and get to my starting point and finish the 8 miles, then I decided that even with all the stops I was making good time so I would ride a little more, I ended up riding about half way and turning around so my total ride for the night was 12.43 miles. also decided I don't like riding after dark, even though my new lights on the front are great I have trouble with the shadows and keeping focused on the road. I found myself looking down too close in front of me to be able to ride comfortably at any speed

so here is my next question. I use cyclemeter to log and track my rides. it has an option to turn on stop detection, this removes the stop times and recalculates for your ride time and average speed. Is it fair to use this option or should I use real time only
                example yesterdays ride
                real time
                ride time 1:37 hr
                average speed 7.5
                stop detection on
                ride time 1:17
                average speed 9.48
                for 12.24 miles with top speed of 12.74
                24" Torker LX
                29" UDC Trainer
                32" UDC trainer

Comment

Originally posted by aj1500 View Post
                  so here is my next question. I use cyclemeter to log and track my rides. it has an option to turn on stop detection, this removes the stop times and recalculates for your ride time and average speed. Is it fair to use this option or should I use real time only
                  example yesterdays ride
                  real time
                  ride time 1:37 hr
                  average speed 7.5
                  stop detection on
                  ride time 1:17
                  average speed 9.48
                  for 12.24 miles with top speed of 12.74
                  Yes it is fair to report either one. Your moving average is one thing and your overall average is another. On my 36er my moving average is normally in the range of 10 to 13 mph but for longer rides my overall average is closer to 8 to 10mph.

Comment

I record my rides on Strava and it has the "stop" function integrated.

In the app it typically reports the moving time and average speed based on that.

For me this is a perfect statistic to compare my rides.

On the Strava website (or when changing the activity type in the app...) it also shows total time.

For "segments", which are compared with other users, it calculates speed based on the total time between begin- and end-points. As if it were a competition. The only way to make a fair list of fastest users.

Comment

OK I just didn't want to go around saying I riding 9 MPH when it's really only 7
                      but it make sense it is 2 different things

SO next question, this is more to just understand, not so much asking for advise.
                      when you ride long distance where do you have your seat set and why do you have it there, IE nose up, flat or nose down
                      24" Torker LX
                      29" UDC Trainer
                      32" UDC trainer

Comment

Originally posted by aj1500 View Post
                        SO next question, this is more to just understand, not so much asking for advise.
                        when you ride long distance where do you have your seat set and why do you have it there, IE nose up, flat or nose down
                        The seat angle is a personal preference but most seem to prefer the nose up because it transfers more weight to the sit bones and less on more sensitive areas. Most of the weight will be at the lowest part of the saddle. If the nose is down more weight will be on the front part of the saddle.

Of course there is a limiting condition of how high the nose can be before other more sensitive body parts (mostly male) start to get in the way. That is where a flat saddle has a real advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by JimT View Post
                          Of course there is a limiting condition of how high the nose can be before other more sensitive body parts (mostly male) start to get in the way. That is where a flat saddle has a real advantage.
                          Maybe this is why I don't see any advantage of a flat saddle - I couldn't figure out why it's such a big deal
                          Last edited by Gockie; 2020-02-11, 08:51 PM.
                          If you are female please join the Female Unicyclists! group on Facebook!

Comment

Originally posted by Gockie View Post
                            Maybe this is why I don't see any advantage of a flat saddle - I couldn't figure out why it's such a big deal
                            They're also much narrower in the middle section. The main thing which annoys me about traditional saddles is chafing on the inside of my thighs.
                            Unicycling is the fountain of youth.

Comment

rode another 12 miles last night, got a little better at handling the riding in the dark, but I'll be glad when the days get long enough I don't have to. I decided I like the idea of the handle bars for both hands and as everyone said the temp one I made isn't good enough, mostly it's too small and is too close to me to get comfortable. I'm trying to work on leaning forward to get more stable control. So today I am building a new one, I'm going to copy Jim T bar. I have some strong brass tubing I'm going to use and turn it up so if I UPD and the uni hits it will hit my main single bar first.
                              24" Torker LX
                              29" UDC Trainer
                              32" UDC trainer

Comment

the link is from my last ride, this is my current state of riding skill on the 32. as you can see i'm still kinda all over the place with my speed. I have the new handle bar installed now and plan to try more leaning forward to get better control. I think right now I'm still riding too straight up because the wheel twitches back and forth a lot when I try to speed up and it's like I just can't settle in on a steady speed because I'm constantly correcting due to the uni tipping back and forward.
                                I'm open to suggestions as to thoughts to help correct this issue other than just more time in the saddle

http://cyclemeter.com/7bf732da7502e1...217-1715-27010
                                Last edited by aj1500; 2020-02-19, 08:49 PM.
                                24" Torker LX
                                29" UDC Trainer
                                32" UDC trainer

Comment

Working...
                                X