32" for muni?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Canoeheadted View Post
    Setonix... If you won't sell it then just lend me your Hachet.
    Hear me out.

I'll provide her with a great home to stay at.
    She'll have my full attention through the winter.
    You can come visit her anytime.
    Her name would be "Molly" while she's here.
    ...and I'll buy her plane ticket.

Whadayathink?

I think my hatchet is afraid of flying. I will let Molly have her winter sleep in the shed, at least until it starts snowing. It has been 12 Celsius here in December, one of the hottest Decembers in NL, but hopefully there will be a few days snow in the coming months.

Comment

What tire size did you go with on your hatchet? I'm 6' 150lbs, I'd love to try one of those fat tires one day.

I'm leaning towards the KH29, and if I end up needing a fat tire muni one day, transition the KH29 to a guni and have something like the hatchet. 2 uni's is still better than 1 mountain bike even if I'm trying to be more minimalist lol. That guni might make up for my lack of a 36er for longer flat stuff too. Just some thoughts. Not making any purchases yet. I'm swamped at work for the next 3 weeks at least while we're on a full quarantine in our kennels, 60 hours, sleeping here, no muni with me.

Comment

Originally posted by Dane M View Post
        I'm leaning towards the KH29, and if I end up needing a fat tire muni one day, transition the KH29 to a guni and have something like the hatchet. 2 uni's is still better than 1 mountain bike even if I'm trying to be more minimalist lol. That guni might make up for my lack of a 36er for longer flat stuff too. Just some thoughts. Not making any purchases yet. I'm swamped at work for the next 3 weeks at least while we're on a full quarantine in our kennels, 60 hours, sleeping here, no muni with me.
        If you're wanting to be minimalist, then one KH frame with 2 wheelsets is a pretty good combo. I have exactly that: the KH29 with a fixed wheelset and a second Schlumpf wheelset. Even though I have the older 3rd generation Schlumpf (not guranteed for disc brakes), I can switch out my wheel one-to-one without even adjusting the brakes (could change as the ISIS crank may creep with use on the Schlumpf). Today I switched the cranks (127/150 from fixed to Schlumpf and 117/137 from Schlumpf to fixed) and also brake pad fit perfect. For comparision, switching out the wheel is faster and easier than switching a tire, and only requires loosening 4 bolts, pulling the wheel and tightening back up.

In speed the 29 with the Schlumpf is similar to a 36, but is of course rides and handles different as the momentum of the 36 wheel makes it more stable, but the 29 is more maneuverable, but in general comparable.
        36" Nimbus Oracle, VCX 100/125/150, 200mm disc
        29+ KH, Maxxis DHR II 29x3, 127/150 Spirits
        Schlumpf (KH29) Duro Crux 29x3.25 137/117 Spirits
        26" Nimbus, Maxxis DHR IIx2.8, 117/137 Sprt
        19" Trials Impact Athmos
        20" Qu-Ax Profi Freestyle, 89mm VCX

Comment

Interesting, thanks for all the tips and info guys. Really appreciate it. Excited to get back into riding.

Comment

Originally posted by Dane M View Post
            What tire size did you go with on your hatchet? I'm 6' 150lbs, I'd love to try one of those fat tires one day.
            I bought this one a few years ago :
            https://www.einradladen.com/559mm-26...Nimbus-Hatchet

Just out of the box. I don't mix so much with parts.

Comment

Picked up a new KH29 and couldn't be happier. That tire rolls like a dream. I had a little trouble dialing in the tire pressure (I'm not used to high volume tires) but once I got it and chopped down the seatpost enough so I don't get bucked on hard terrain, man.... it's a beast. I'm flying up berms and steep jumps like it's nothing. When I get really comfortable I will switch it to the 125mm holes and see how that goes, loving the speed but if I can go even faster.... haha. I forgot how garbage my goofy foot hops are so that needs some work, but I've got plenty of places to practice. Here at work it's like a muni playground.

I wasn't too sure about these stock pedals, I seemed to lose traction a lot but I think it was more my seatpost length than anything. I could always replace the pins with set screws and get some more bite, I always rode with some big platform DMR vault pedals that are insanely grippy so it might just be something new to learn.

Thanks everyone for all the help and advice. Glad to be back riding and enjoying every second of it.
              Last edited by Dane M; 2020-01-29, 02:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X