What's Happening Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pierrox View Post

Totally get this. Fear is an important factor, especially for us riders who started at a not so young age where you're more aware of how fragile your body is!
    Yes: My fear is not about riding the Auld Coker but mounting it ! (I broke my Achille's tendon while failing a mount: and after that I am always scared while trying to start the beast)... So now I am waiting for ICUs to be less stressed before trying to ride the 36 again
    Last edited by wobbling bear; 2020-05-10, 07:42 AM.
    One Wheel : bear necessity
    (Abuello RodoMancat)

Comment

• Yesterday I went another ride with the 36" and mounting was a whole lot easier this time than last week. I had sawed 1cm off the saddle pin, so I could take the seat down a bit. I think that improved the mounts. When starting my ride I held on to a post to get on and started riding after the second time pushing off. Also felt a little stressed because it was good weather and many cyclists were about. I prefer to have the full cycle path space to myself when mounting, because I always swerve a little bit.
      Another thing I noticed on the 29" was that it is losing brake-oil. Last year or so I brought it to LBS to fill it up again, because I had no oil left. At that time I think it was because of changing saddles, but now it just lies in the car. I still find it strange that you can't keep the brake upside down when it is supposed to be a closed circuit, not that I every keep it upside-down, but it will also end up on its side at a UPD. It should be able to handle that.
      Wobbling Bear, the chance of falling becomes much less when you have something to hold on to when taking off, like a post or maybe a wall. I often ride on a 10km bike path through the forest and in the forest there aren't any posts to hold on to, but just having ridden a few kms gives me enough feel for the uni, so when freemounting, I know what to expect and how to take off. What size do you usually ride with?

Comment

• I got the new tire mounted up on the 32 today, I had thought my uni came with the Night Rider Lite but I can say for sure now it did not. I mounted the Lite and there is no question I can tell the difference just lifting the uni. it may be my imagination because I have been riding the 24 a lot lately but it seems faster, will the lighter tire make that much difference? I did a little quick roll around the parking lot and it kept trying to run out from under me. the other thing I noticed is the tread is more rounded than the other tire was even after I ground the side of the tread down. it will lean quick without anywhere near the resistance of the original tire. I wonder if putting the 29" tube in there could have anything to do with that part. looking forward to getting a good ride in and seeing how it does
        Last edited by aj1500; 2020-05-11, 08:18 PM.
        24" Torker LX
        29" UDC Trainer
        32" UDC trainer

Comment

• Originally posted by aj1500 View Post
          I wonder if putting the 29" tube in there could have anything to do with that part. looking forward to getting a good ride in and seeing how it does
          Won't the tube wear out sooner when you put a 29" tube on a 32" wheel? Or would it be more prone to puncture when it is stretched more?

I'd say there is quite a difference in speed between a 24 and 32, so whatever tire it will feel a lot faster.

Comment

• Originally posted by Setonix View Post
            the chance of falling becomes much less when you have something to hold on to when taking off, like a post or maybe a wall. I often What size do you usually ride with?
            I usually ride a 26" fatty Muni ... I don't know why but I fear mounting even when holding some post....
            One Wheel : bear necessity
            (Abuello RodoMancat)

Comment

• Originally posted by Setonix View Post

Won't the tube wear out sooner when you put a 29" tube on a 32" wheel? Or would it be more prone to puncture when it is stretched more?
              Tubes don't wear out. They would be slightly more prone to puncture, but on a road wheel and tire, I think the actual tire is much more important for pucture resistance. I think the thickness of the tube is only important for resistance to pinch flats/snakebites.
              In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -Douglas Adams.

Comment

• I took the 32 out yesterday after work and got a decent little ride in on the new tire, it has a little pull on the crown but not too terrible, nothing like the original tire had. it took me a couple good miles to start settling in to the difference in the way it handles and adjust to the lesser resistance. I have to say I definitely like this tire much better, it has enough bite to keep good control yet is very responsive and doesn't fight leaning. I know hitting peak speeds is nothing as it is just a peek but I feel it says something as to being able to keep control to that point then bringing the speed back to your pace. yesterday I hit a new high I hit 16.87 MPH and topped 12 MPH a few times. most of the time 12 is my top speed and my previous record was 14.14. I rode at the park on the sidewalks so now I'm really looking forward to getting it out on the road and seeing if I get the same or better results
                24" Torker LX
                29" UDC Trainer
                32" UDC trainer

Comment

• Ace, Looks like great progress. I'm gonna have trouble keeping up. Looking forward to another ride when I can get back to Savannah this summer. Jeff C

Comment

• HI Jeff
                    I hope your getting along well amid this pandemic we are in the middle of. Just let me know when your going to be in town. I still need to get Downtown and ride around and put together a nice scenic ride around the squares and into market place for a nice lunch.
                    24" Torker LX
                    29" UDC Trainer
                    32" UDC trainer

Comment

• I ventured out onto the roads near my house for the third time today! 2.45 km total distance, I recorded it on Strava so that I can look back on my modest early efforts.

I've been riding for a year now, but haven't done any significant distance. I'm still quite tentative and very slow, waving my arms a fair bit and not holding the saddle very much. I'm hoping that getting more distance will improve matters.

I've been put off by the 4% hill that runs through the village, but now that I've done the whole thing it doesn't seem so scary. I've also outed myself as a unicyclist to the rest of the village, so another barrier out of the way. Once I'm off the hill the roads are flatter so I can start to put in some miles.
                      20" Nimbus (Black, White Tire)
                      26" Nimbus Muni (Duro Wildlife Leopard | Schwalbe Crazy Bob 2.35")

Comment

• Originally posted by Richard C View Post
                        I ventured out onto the roads near my house for the third time today! 2.45 km total distance, I recorded it on Strava so that I can look back on my modest early efforts.

I wish I had started recording my efforts sooner, it will be fun to look back as you improve plus it will give you incentive to keep going to beat your current best ride

I've been riding for a year now, but haven't done any significant distance. I'm still quite tentative and very slow, waving my arms a fair bit and not holding the saddle very much. I'm hoping that getting more distance will improve matters.

don't worry the distance will come, as you get more comfortable you will just find yourself riding farther
                        it took me a long time to get to where I could ride hand on saddle, just start a little at a time and stay with it until it gets comfortable. don't make the mistake I made, I was only holding the saddle with my dominant hand so now I'm having to work at using either or or both together

I've been put off by the 4% hill that runs through the village, but now that I've done the whole thing it doesn't seem so scary. I've also outed myself as a unicyclist to the rest of the village, so another barrier out of the way. Once I'm off the hill the roads are flatter so I can start to put in some miles.
                        sounds like your making good progress, keep at it

Last edited by aj1500; 2020-05-15, 04:01 PM.
                        24" Torker LX
                        29" UDC Trainer
                        32" UDC trainer

Comment

• Did a little test ride with my new handlebar. Short summary, I like it. (Long review in the "post your homemade handlebars here"-thread). Found a big fallen over tree and rode on it, and made a short video clip of it:
                          https://www.instagram.com/p/CAVol5Ogi5N/
                          (I wish embedding would work for Instagram, I'm too lazy to upload to youtube too).
                          In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -Douglas Adams.

Comment

• finnspin
                            very cool vid, I don't think I'll ever hit that level but I sure enjoy watching others that can

so I got my first official road ride on the new Lite tire and I am very happy with it. as I thought from my first ride at the park it is very rider friendly compared the original tire. I can't say I was able to duplicate my new top speed. I am going to have to get used to it as it is a bit squirrely,, as in it responds quick to inputs rather than being sluggish. I'm sure this is due to both the lighter weight and it is more rounded. I did manage to hit a new record for riding distance before dismount. I was able to go 8.5 miles, I could have gone more but it was hot and I wanted to stop and have a drink.

24" Torker LX
                            29" UDC Trainer
                            32" UDC trainer

Comment

• First real attempts at mounting the 36er after surgery in Feb. Ok, it was inside my home between my dining area and kitchen bench, and not on the open street. However, there may be some actual improvement in that skill compared to my last attempts (pre ankle surgery*)

I have to try this on the street. A bit scared of reinjuring something though. I’m not even sure in dismounting the 36er either now, whereas I had no worries about it before.

* Injury came from a bad dismount of the giraffe, it was good except I ended up rolling my ankle when it met the ground.
                              If you are female please join the Female Unicyclists! group on Facebook!

Comment

• Gockie... ouch! I have been thinking how nice it would be to try UniMyra's giraffe (he has offered) but your accident does make it less tempting. Nonetheless I am already cycling around on a pretty tall penny-farthing (when I am not unicycling) on hilly terrain, so it is not like I am totally avoiding risk in any case.

I hope you feel 100% soon and can enjoy your 36" outside again. Look after yourself.

Comment

Working...
                                X