• Time
  • Show
Clear All

hahaha that was a great vid with the 12 unimyra very entertaining to watch
    24" Torker LX
    29" UDC Trainer
    32" UDC trainer

Comment

Progress at last! I haven't made any perceptible progress for a few months now, but a definite breakthough today. I've been practising hopping on my 20" for a while, and recently I've been able to static mount into a few hops, then ride away. Today I managed to ride - hop 180 degrees - ride off a couple of times! (Out of many attempts). This is pretty basic stuff, but it's been eluding me. At least I know it's possible now.

My hopping is still quite sketchy, I have to get my position just right, and I often have to bale out when my feet slip or the cranks start to rotate. I've learned that pulling up harder on the saddle helps.
      20" Nimbus (Black, White Tire)
      26" Nimbus Muni (Duro Wildlife Leopard | Schwalbe Crazy Bob 2.35")

Comment

good job Richard, it feels great when things start working doesn't it. I am in the same place with the learning to stop hop and take off again. I found learning to stall and take off was the biggest factor to getting better at hopping

So today I'm rushing around this morning getting everything moved to the car for my afternoon ride as it was raining this morning and I didn't want to take the bike. I get to work and at some point I realized I forgot my helmet... arrgg
        now it's calling for rain the rest of the week
        24" Torker LX
        29" UDC Trainer
        32" UDC trainer

Comment

I had a scary lil close call...

I was riding my 36er along the shoulder of the local highway(I try to ride on the shoulder as little as possible, I stick to parallel side streets along highways) and suddenly my shoelaces got caught in the left pedal and luckily just violently ripped clean off and I landed on my feet and ran for a bit on the rightmost side of the shoulder. The uni, however kept rolling along and then veered to the left into oncoming traffic behind me. Traffic slowed though, thank god, and I grabbed my uni.

I will now ride on shoulders even less. In this case I had to to get to the next side street, but in the future I will always plan to avoid them.

Oh...and I'll always check my shoelaces from now on.

I'm thankful I didn't faceplant or end up in oncoming traffic.
          Best of Me

18:21 Stillstand
          255 foot railride

Comment

Shoelaces - the enemy of the unicycle.
            Unicycling is the fountain of youth.

Comment

The Deadly Truth of Shoelaces

Comment

Originally posted by DSchmitt View Post
                my shoelaces got caught in the left pedal
                Back in my flying days there was a saying, there are pilots who have landed wheels up, and those that will.

Same for unicyclists and shoelaces.

I have (shoelaces that is). Will we learn from it?

Comment

Glad you are OK.

In my early days of unicycling I read about the shoe lace risk and I always tuck them in. Not into the side of the shoe but under the lines of laces, all the way to the front.

I'd hate to fall without being able to get my foot of the pedal...

Comment

I had a productive ride yesterday. I went for my normal Monday ride and it ended with 12.33 miles 2 wrenches and a ratchet
                    during my ride I stopped 2 times to pick up tools I found laying in the curb of the road. So a good day
                    24" Torker LX
                    29" UDC Trainer
                    32" UDC trainer

Comment

Originally posted by aj1500 View Post
                      I had a productive ride yesterday. I went for my normal Monday ride and it ended with 12.33 miles 2 wrenches and a ratchet
                      during my ride I stopped 2 times to pick up tools I found laying in the curb of the road. So a good day
                      Good job on the ride. I'm always picking up useful things on my rides, including this ladder. I also pick up un-useful things like the trash on my local road.

Comment

I remember seeing the pic when you found the ladder, I laughed so hard at that post
                        If I worked on picking up the trash on the road I could be stopped for possible DUI due to open containers. the road I'm riding is littered with mini and small liquor bottles. almost makes me scared to keep riding there
                        24" Torker LX
                        29" UDC Trainer
                        32" UDC trainer

Comment

Well with Covid working from home. My average 50km per week of uni riding has doubled. The last 3 weeks am doing 100km per week.

Comment

Originally posted by GideupJimmy View Post
                            Well with Covid working from home. My average 50km per week of uni riding has doubled. The last 3 weeks am doing 100km per week.
                            For me it is not the covid that makes me ride more, but the better weather. It has been very sunny T-shirt weather. On work days my wife wants me to spend time with our daughter and not take off alone on my uni, so naturally I try to take my daughter along on a trip where she can just ride her own bicycle. Though when I go a bit too far, so she starts complaining she is tired and next time she doesn't want to ride with me anymore. I still need to find a good balance. She is too small to do any unicycling and for now not really interested.
                            Yesterday had 3 uni rides. First a few kms in a small park/forest, where I had been only once, but wanted to see again. Bikes weren't allowed in the park, and since a uni aint a bike, I just spun around. Then had a longer trip in a bigger forest of 15km offroad. I was in very good shape and managed to have some sprints without having the uni (29") to start hopping. In the afternoon had a bike ride with the family (me on uni that is). Today my legs are killing me.

Comment

Yesterday the kids tried some unicycling in our garage and afterwards I made a nice 18 km trip on the 27.5" Muni.

I'm getting two rides a week nowadays, got to divide attention between work, family and Unicycing

Comment

Today I cleaned my bike chain. I hate dealing with chains. One of the things I like about unicycles is the lack of chains. The most complex parts to service are the pedals.
                                Unicycling is the fountain of youth.

Comment

Working...
                                X